What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels' salary cap doesn't fit, shelling out more than $750,000 for departed

Avenger

Immortal
How can there be issues next year Stagger?

All the blokes mentioned are off contract end of this year.

Plus we are loosing Smith, Fui, Sio, Paulo, Tonga, Kelly, Jones, Foran, Lasalo.

So where has that money gone?

We resigned Mannah, Vai, Manu and Wicks for next year.

So who is exactly managing our salary cap at the moment.

Losing Joseph Paulo is music to my ears. Sio is a good player but replaceable with either Goodall or Vai. I noticed Gower isn't on your list as going. I hope he stays. Allgood and Morgan should be offered to Canberra seeing that Supercoach signed them.

I agree with you that $1 million won't get DCE however with third party sponsorship $1.3 could.

Last edited:

Jodeci

Bench
Losing Joseph Paulo is music to my ears. Sio is a good player but replaceable with either Goodall or Vai. I noticed Gower isn't on your list as going. I hope he stays. Allgood and Morgan should be offered to Canberra seeing that Supercoach signed them.

I agree with you that $1 million won't get DCE however with third party sponsorship $1.3 could.

Gower has been our most consisted forward this year and deserves an extension and I hope we keep him.

He would be earning a third of Lussick and has shown him that he deserves to be picked in front of him every week. As for Morgs, I've never rated him.

Sio I would prefer over Vai any day.

Jodeci

Bench
It's bullshit that we haven't back-ended anybody under Nolan. Wasn't Loko on $100k this year and $400k next year? He only re-signed last year, when Nolan was here.

Back-ending contracts is something every club does. If you need a player for next year but don't have the space to pay him what he wants you pay him extra in future years where there's plenty of space. At the moment at least.

We only have a dozen blokes signed for 2016, and none of them are superstars. That means we have heaps of cap room. If our cap next year is already close to full, and at this stage of the year I'm sure it is, then any new signings for next year will be back-ended into 2016 and beyond. If next year's cap wasn't full of back-ended deals then we would have more space for signings and we wouldn't need to keep back-ending them. The only way to stop it is to stop signing players for a year - just let the back-ended contracts trickle out of the cap and start fresh for 2016.

It looks like that is what we are doing with all this 'our cap is f**ked' talk, and I hope we do. We have a good enough squad to make the finals next year, as we did this year.

Unfortunately in previous years they kept whinging about the f**ked salary cap (and I'm sure it was) but they kept going out and signing f**ken players anyway, meaning they were back-ending them all to fit them in. Thank f**k the NRL knocked back Folau's massively back-ended deal or we could be f**ked through until 2017 or later.

Pou

If u think that Loko is on $440,000 as reported by Chris Barrett, then u need to see a doctor.

Avenger

Immortal
Hey Jodeci, any chance of getting back Inu? I heard it was all about us paying all his contract. In relation to Lussick, we could also offer him to Ricky. He was the player of the year according to Stick in 2013.

Jodeci

Bench
Hey Jodeci, any chance of getting back Inu? I heard it was all about us paying all his contract. In relation to Lussick, we could also offer him to Ricky. He was the player of the year according to Stick in 2013.

I haven't spoken to him lately.

With Lussick, I'm more than happy to drive him to Canberra now.

Anyone wanna come with me?

Might take a few other players also.

EelsFan05

Bench
I thought Lussick was pretty good last year. Massive disappointment this year but.

I remember arguing with you about this signing years ago. This lump of a pretender hasn't earned his pay cheque since he got here. Slow stupid player whose only claims to fame is belting a Storm player and ripping off our club for the past few years.

lingard

Coach
From what I can read into it, we will have the same squad as this year, minus the players who have not been signed and are off contract, and will not be signing any others.

So we will have the same team as this year minus.

David Gower
Luke Kelly
Fui Fui
Joseph Paulo
Ken Sio
Ben Smith
Willie Tonga

I'd imagine we will play Morgan at left centre, Toutai will remain on the right wing and we will fill Gower and Joe Paulo's place with players currently playing for Wentworthville and our Under 20s. If we have signed Wicks I'm guessing we're hopeful that he can be a genuine first grade player also.

I doubt I will lose too much sleep over losing any of those players, but I guess it will really tests our depth next year with the lack of experience in the players we will be having to play once we get a few injuries and rest The Plane around Origin time.

Like this year and the few previous ones, it appears how well we go in 2015 is going to come down to how many games The Plane plays and how well he plays in those games.

It would be nice to keep David Gower.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
What happened to all the massively backended contracts we used to hear about?
Wonder when they all expired? They would have freed up a stack of cash.
Would there still be any that were signed before Nolan arrived?

Latest posts