What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who could have been

gregstar

Referee
looking at campese, I can't help but feel what might have been but for the crappy injuries the poor bast*rd has copped.

he looked like superstar who had every attribute beforehand but now seems to be a shadow of his former self which is a tremendous pity when it happens to relative youngsters.

dean young was sensational in '04-'05 before the leg operation which resulted in staph & subsequently rendered him a solid player as opposed to the outstanding prospect he was at the time.

jason ryles likewise was tremendous before the two hundred shoulder operations as a result of an injury so bad that he actually had to learn how to use that arm again. beforehand the guy was possibly the best prop prospect i'd ever seen because he could ball-play before & through the line which is extraordinarily rare for a prop.

what players do you feel fit the list of guys who were sensational footballers f*cked by injury?

TheFrog

Coach
looking at campese, I can't help but feel what might have been but for the crappy injuries the poor bast*rd has copped.

he looked like superstar who had every attribute beforehand but now seems to be a shadow of his former self which is a tremendous pity when it happens to relative youngsters.

dean young was sensational in '04-'05 before the leg operation which resulted in staph & subsequently rendered him a solid player as opposed to the outstanding prospect he was at the time.

jason ryles likewise was tremendous before the two hundred shoulder operations as a result of an injury so bad that he actually had to learn how to use that arm again. beforehand the guy was possibly the best prop prospect i'd ever seen because he could ball-play before & through the line which is extraordinarily rare for a prop.

what players do you feel fit the list of guys who were sensational footballers f*cked by injury?

Greg Waddell. Schoolboy superstar, signed a 100k contract while a kid, never played first grade due to injuries.

TheFrog

Coach
Lachlan Coote is starting to look a bit this way as well.

It happened to Scott Prince early on but he became much more durable as time went on. I hope this is what happens to Coote.

JJ

Immortal
Brett Papworth would be top of my list, wonderful talent

Two career ending injuries for youngsters how had big futures
Adam Ritson
Simon Dwyer

Even more tragic, Sonny Fai could have been anything

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Sonny Fai (R.I.P). Unlimited potential, such a loss for the club both in terms of his playing ability and his character.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bit harsh to put Marshall there. Won a Golden Boot etc etc.

Owen Craigie for me.
His first few years decimated by shoulder and knee injuries.

Coupled with the hopeless game plans of Sheens.

An injury free Benji being coached by nearly anyone else could have been much more impressive imo

instead he peaked quickly and faded away just as quickly.

Sheens couldn't motivate him

tumbidragon

First Grade
Kyle Stanley. Watching some highlights of 10', 11' the kid oozed class. Could play just about anywhere but his few games in the halves were all quality. Unfortunately 4 knee recos have wrecked havoc on the young fulla. Prob could only make an avg. lock now.

Matt Head. Tremendous vision and kicking game, but career ruined by knee injuries. Ended up playing only 88 games :(

Also Justin Hodges. i know he's achieved just about everything at all levels of the sport, but to think of what he would of been capable of without all those serious injuries over the years.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Simon Dwyer was a genuine future NSW origin footballer before his injury. He was an out and out gun, basically what Boyd Cordner is today. He'd be #1 for me outside of Campese

I'd have loved to seen what William Zillman turned out like without the 3 knee injuries he copped in the space of about 6 games. Talent wise, he wasnt far off Anthony Milford at the same age.

Paullyboy

Coach
Definitely agree on zillman and Kyle Stanley.

Justin carney had a real bright future before his ankle/foot shatter.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Jamie Lyon what would have been if he didnt run away to manly and ruin his career..

Hutty1986

Immortal
Simon Dwyer was a genuine future NSW origin footballer before his injury. He was an out and out gun, basically what Boyd Cordner is today. He'd be #1 for me outside of Campese

I'd have loved to seen what William Zillman turned out like without the 3 knee injuries he copped in the space of about 6 games. Talent wise, he wasnt far off Anthony Milford at the same age.

Yep, he's definitely in the Cordner class. Big, strong, offers plenty in attack and could deadset belt blokes in defence.

Heartbreaking to see that the young man who destroyed JWH on such a big stage will never again get the chance to play football. Makes me sick there's f*ckwits like Arana Taumata throwing away chance after chance when there's guys like Macca, Dwyer and countless others who would do anything to get back oout on a footy field again.

Sleep

Juniors
Greg Waddell was the first guy who came to mind for me. Injuries ruined him. Even the last lot of games he did play he never even looked the same. In the end Penrith had to let him go and as far as I know that was the end of him.

The best that never was.