What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV is strangling the game to death

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Unfortunately it becomes a bit of pissing competition between NRL and AFL when it comes to TV rights..

Maybe the NRL should realise that basically the tv money pays the salary cap for the teams in both codes..

Ie - Grant of $7M from NRL, Salary Cap $7M for player payments...

And AFL has more player per team, and more teams in the comp...

so if NRL got 20-30M a year less, it wouldnt be the end of the world,

And then maybe we wouldnt totally have to bend over and cop it off tv every single time.. ie delayed games

kbw

Bench
They should sit them in a room and make them watch Vossy's commentory of Warriors games. Geez that guy loves RL and takes you with him.

You know what., I absolutely hated Voss' commentary before his banishment.
He was typical Ch9, all ego and no substance. He deserved what he got when he got punted.

But I think it was probably the best thing that happened to him, this year I think his commentary has completely lost the ego and the "I want to be Ray Warren" attitude. Its def been replaced with enjoyment of the game. I hope he stays this way

Lol well if the nrl dictated it and we got the $200 million tv deal instead how would all you f**ktards like that.

We are a TV product crowds don't mean shit, nor pleasing purists deal with it.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Lol well if the nrl dictated it and we got the $200 million tv deal instead how would all you f**ktards like that.

We are a TV product crowds don't mean shit, nor pleasing purists deal with it.

Most of it has just flows through to players and NRL executive salaries anyway...

Ie - Robbie Farrah on 900k... (really)

What is the difference to the fans ?? $800 M v $1B

Doesnt matter to me I dont see any of it, all I see is 80% night games, SD coverage, delayed games, broncos every friday,

Perth Red

Post Whore
You know what., I absolutely hated Voss' commentary before his banishment.
He was typical Ch9, all ego and no substance. He deserved what he got when he got punted.

But I think it was probably the best thing that happened to him, this year I think his commentary has completely lost the ego and the "I want to be Ray Warren" attitude. Its def been replaced with enjoyment of the game. I hope he stays this way

I'd have to say the RLWC was the making off him. He added to his commentary with witty, but not dumb, stuff and did his homework extremely well on all the countries, players and host cities. It was a joy to listen to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most of it has just flows through to players and NRL executive salaries anyway...

Doesnt matter to me I dont see any of it, all I see is 80% night games, SD coverage, delayed games, broncos every friday,

Too true, the windfall, so far, has seen very little growth or benefit to the game of RL or it's fans in comparison to the massive rise in income the NRL has had this year. Even the extra to the clubs hasn't prevented financial problems at a number of them.

BuffaloRules

Coach
People seem to always forget that the last TV deal wasnt entirely about the money...

The NRL also got rid of the "first and last rights" clause that News had for another 15 years.

The next deal will be more fan friendly.

The NRL had to bend over the last time, but at least they manage to extract the maximum for whoring themselves out

POPEYE

Coach
The deal has been done. Nine are shit at covering the game. Get the f**k over it.

Fmd, I'm with you again ol' mate. Complaining about how badly Nine abuse their NRL franchise is like asking why does every channel begin their sport news coverage with AFL. With today's technology and the price of one less packet of androtops a week we can watch League however we like anyway.

Origin scheduling is a different matter entirely

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
there's a simple solution, don't watch the Sunday game, just listen to it on the radio (or go to the game) and watch the ad free replay on Foxtel.

roofromoz

First Grade
there's a simple solution, don't watch the Sunday game, just listen to it on the radio (or go to the game) and watch the ad free replay on Foxtel.

Like I did yesterday. I haven't seen the last Manly try. If I didn't see it, it didn't happen, right? :sarcasm:

Card Shark

Immortal

You make a good point there!

Canard

Immortal
People seem to always forget that the last TV deal wasnt entirely about the money...

The NRL also got rid of the "first and last rights" clause that News had for another 15 years.

The next deal will be more fan friendly.

The NRL had to bend over the last time, but at least they manage to extract the maximum for whoring themselves out

Add to that quite a few people believed that we would have to modify the game into "quarters" to get any money at all.

The fact that we got the same as the AFL with no change to the onfield rules or product is a win in my book.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Add to that quite a few people believed that we would have to modify the game into "quarters" to get any money at all.

The fact that we got the same as the AFL with no change to the onfield rules or product is a win in my book.

it also showed how badly Gallop did with the previous deal

coverage is about the same as in the last deal yet Gallop only got $500 million over 6 years for that

if the previous deal hadn't been so undersold then they could have settled for less with the current one

POPEYE

Coach

It would be interesting to know how many people actually sit down for two hours and watch the Nine broadcast. No, not a good idea . . . forget I said anything, Rugby League needs you

TheFrog

Coach
Why bother gambling? Take what's on offer. It's all about the money - so take the money.

Because the clubs are not being treated equitably, that's why.

One team gets all Friday nights. Another gets far more Monday night home games than anyone else. Some get Sunday games, some don't. Manly got 18,000 yesterday. The same game would have got the same crowd at Penrith, but Penrith have not had a Sunday afternoon home game this year.

Who knows, we might be looking at eligibility criteria sometime soon, like in the post-Super League era, where crowd averages are being looked at.

At the very least, Monday night and Thursday night home games (if the latter are to continue) should be divided equally between all clubs over the course of a season.

The current situation is basically that those who sit at home and watch the game on TV are being given scheduling preference over those who go to the ground and pay admission, or want to do so if game times are reasonable. This is what must change.

TheFrog

Coach

There are those amongst us who refuse to have Foxtel on principle. Some because of the Super League war, many because of the parent company's influence on politics, and many because it isn't even remotely worth what it costs.

The NRL's postage stamp pass is decent value, but very hard on my old eyes even on an I-Pad. Would be good if they could find a way of making it work on a PC without being able to be plugged into a TV (the resolution would be appalling anyway you'd think).

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Well, since this TV deal is paying a massive expansion of junior football funding, that extra $50mill a year actually will go a long way.

You need to understand that there is more to the ARLCs duties than first grade NRL....

I hate 9 as much as anyone and more than most, but 5 years of that for proper funding of the game is a small price

(anyone that would rather give away the money for juniors in favour of slightly better TV coverage can honestly gets f*cked...)

TheFrog

Coach
(anyone that would rather give away the money for juniors in favour of slightly better TV coverage can honestly gets f*cked...)

This reminds me of the argument by licenced clubs that poker machine profit was going to the community and so they shouldn't have to pay tax...the truth was that only a tiny bit of it was.

The truth is supporting junior development is a necessary expense in running a sport, regardless of what your business model is, especially if you want to still be around in twenty of thirty years time.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

We got less from Australian TV and online than afl didn't we to the tune of $125mill
$1.125bill v $1.253bill

We made up some of the difference from NZ TV rights

Afl are already talking up the next deal to the tune of $1.6bill.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well, since this TV deal is paying a massive expansion of junior football funding, that extra $50mill a year actually will go a long way.

You need to understand that there is more to the ARLCs duties than first grade NRL....

I hate 9 as much as anyone and more than most, but 5 years of that for proper funding of the game is a small price

And where is this jnr money going to? Any links to. What significant extra investment the NRL has made in jnr RL this year?