What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be Wests Tigers Coach in 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TYGA

Juniors
He has a 55% win loss ratio across NRL & Super league now going on 10 years. He has had plenty of talent. Griffin is the other that deserves more credit Broncs lineup is now looking the goods with a lot of young players developed. He has not had talent as many assume with the Broncs.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm hoping it's Brown. He did some great recruiting in Huddersfield that saw them rise from also rans to premiership heavyweights. The structures he set in place have continued bringing success to the club after he left.

St Helens are top of the table now under his leadership.

With the hardest part of the cleanout done, he would come in & hit the ground running.

Would hope that the board give Potter a good opportunity to discuss the difficulties of his role this year before punting him. If a new coach were to be brought in I'd take Taylor or Brown. I don't get the hate for Brown, he has proven himself to be quite a good coach and the only thing he hasn't done yet is won some silverware.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brown 57.79% success rate since 2008

Thats 13 to 14 wins out of 24 games

Thats finals footy.

I could handle that.

In 2008 Huddersfield finished 10th. Brown arrived as coach in 2009

2009 they finished 3rd
2010 they finished 5th and made it to the Grand Final qualifyer
2011 they finished 4th
2012 they finished 7th
And after he left
2013 they finished as Minor Premiers
2014 they are sitting 5th (2 wins shy of the Competition leaders, St.Helens who are now coached by Nathan Brown)

Last edited:

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Brown 57.79% success rate since 2008

Thats 13 to 14 wins out of 24 games

Thats finals footy.

I could handle that.

In 2008 Huddersfield finished 10th. Brown arrived as coach in 2009

2009 they finished 3rd
2010 they finished 5th and made it to the Grand Final qualifyer
2011 they finished 4th
2012 they finished 7th
And after he left
2013 they finished as Minor Premiers
2014 they are sitting 5th (2 wins shy of the Competition leaders, St.Helens who are now coached by Nathan Brown)

Madunit, if Nathan Brown were to attach your statistics to his CV I think he would be a very serious contender....makes me think he would be good for us. I like Potter and I think he could be a very good coach, I just think though he is now damaged goods and will not get the job.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter could be back training the team on Monday without knowing whether he has a job for next season.
Potter made a presentation to the new Wests Tigers board on Wednesday night but no decision has been made on his bid for a contract extension as directors work through constitutional issues that will determine whether Balmain representatives have a vote on coaching appointments beyond this year
While it is understood the board spoke of their respect for the job Potter has done in difficult circumstances during his two-year tenure at Concord, the fact they have not offered him a new deal has led some to believe a decision has been made to look elsewhere for a coach.
However, directors are expected to make a decision on whether Potter is the right man for the job before considering alternatives and as the former Catalans, St Helens and Bradford mentor remains contracted to the club until October 31 he is likely to be in charge when players return to training on Monday after a week-long break since their final match of the season against Cronulla last Saturday.
Assistant coaches Todd Payten and David Kidwell, who are believed to be contenders for Potter's job if the board decides to sack him, are also contracted until October 31.
After failing to make the finals, the NRL squad - or those who are fit enough to take part - will resume training on Monday until the club's grand final lunch on October 3 at Le Montage in Lilyfield, with the focus on testing ahead of next season.
Luke Brooks, James Tedesco, Tim Simona, David Nofoaluma, Keith Galloway, Dene Halatau, Keith Lulia, Tim Moltzen, Braith Anasta and Liam Fulton were all unavailable for the match against the Sharks because of injury.
It is unclear how long the board will take to decide who to appoint as coach for next season.
Wests Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer said he had been instructed to provide a bland statement on the position decided upon at Wednesday night's board meeting.
"The board agreed last night there will be a process put in place and there will be no further comment in regards to what that is or when it is supposed to conclude," Mayer said.
The meeting gave Potter an opportunity to address the board, which is comprised of independent directors Marina Go, Rosemary Sinclair and Lucio Di Bartolomeo and two representatives each from Wests and Balmain, about his plans for the Tigers if given the opportunity to continue coaching at the club.
He has not previously had the opportunity to appoint his own staff or been given any significant control over the club's roster.
Despite the uncertainty over who will coach the Tigers next season, several players have been told they are free to consider other offers, while the club has been linked to Gold Coast's Brad Takairangi.
While Melbourne are also reportedly interested in Takairangi, a New Zealand Rugby League media release announcing players selected in the Kiwis train-on for the upcoming Four Nations listed his club as Wests Tigers.
Moltzen, fullback Kurtis Rowe, props Jack Buchanan and Nathan Brown, hooker Joel Luani have all been advised they can look elsewhere for next season but the Tigers will honour their contracts if they choose to stay.
Second-rower Bodene Thompson is among a handful of other players off contract, while Anasta, Fulton and Cory Paterson have retired.
The Tigers have also advertised for the newly created job of general manager of football, which is a position at most AFL clubs and would be similar to the role filled by Rodney Eade at Collingwood.
It is understood there have already been a high number of applicants.
Meanwhile, the Tigers remain keen to keep utility Blake Austin and do not plan to release him, despite his desire to join Canberra next season.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-of-future-20140911-10flxq.html#ixzz3D4DarBOy

So perhaps I'm onto something suggesting that Potter had nothing to do with Koroibete leaving.

Fordy20

Juniors
We've seen the results of Potter coaching shackled. It's time to let him off the leash and give the resources and the backing to coach the way he sees fit.

ucantseeme

Juniors
The Tigers obviously have a mindset of investing in young players which is starting to pay dividends. Perhaps investing in a coach is the way to go. If the players have turned against him he has to go. But if he has been coaching with the "shackles" on then give him full support and control to put his plan into action for 2015.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've seen the results of Potter coaching shackled. It's time to let him off the leash and give the resources and the backing to coach the way he sees fit.

Furthermore, I don't see the point in having assistant coaches being signed to separate deals to the head coach. Let the head coach choose his assistants. Don't give him some muppets who are obviously eyeing off his job.

What a shambolic organisation.

I'd be terminating Kidwell and Payten at the end of their contracts.

Then I'd let whoever the 2015 coach is to select their own assistants.

The 2015 coach needs to be unshackled from the get go.

If it's Potter, give him 1 year with a finals appearance to guarantee him an extension.

If it's someone else, give them at least 2 years. A first year reprieve because it's too late to start a clean out and a rebuild for 2015.

Matchball

Bench
Well Well Well. Brian Smith put his name in the hat for the coaching gig.
I'd like to see his team assessment then.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Todd Payten to take job at New Zealand Warriors, not Wests Tigers

Adrian Proszenko
Published: September 13, 2014 - 10:00PM

Todd Payten is likely to take up an assistant's role at the New Zealand Warriors in a move that will cull one candidate for the head coaching role at Wests Tigers.

Payten is an assistant to Tigers coach Mick Potter, who fronted the club's new board on Wednesday night with his pitch for a contract extension.

Payten and fellow Tigers assistant David Kidwell are among the contenders for the top job should Potter be overlooked.

The Warriors do not want to cruel Payten's chances of becoming a head coach and there will not be any announcements until the Tigers situation is resolved.

However, it is understood the former Raiders, Roosters and Tigers forward is a long shot to succeed Potter and the Warriors are his most likely destination.

The development increases the chances of Kidwell, ironically a strong contender for the top job at the Warriors last year, taking the role.

Payten – who, like Potter and Kidwell, is about to come off contract – has a strong relationship with Warriors mentor Andrew McFadden from their time playing together at Canberra. The Warriors are in the process of reviewing their football staff and both of their assistants, former Queensland three-quarter Adam Mogg and fellow deputy Ricky Henry, will be moved on.

"That was a decision made by me, both of those guys have been terrific but I think I need a little bit more experience in that area so that's one of the things I have really targeted," McFadden said.

"I am very disappointed the way the season turned out. It certainly doesn't sit easy with me but it is what it is. We weren't good enough to make [the finals] so that means we have got to change some things."

When asked specifically about Payten, McFadden said: "I'm not going to talk about any specific names here. I am looking at all our options in that regard and hopefully I'll have some information to give people in the near future."

Potter is poised to go back to training the Tigers on Monday without knowing whether he has a job for next season. Other candidates likely to be in the frame for his job include Brisbane's Anthony Griffin, Roosters assistant Jason Taylor and St Helens' Nathan Brown.

The Tigers made a promising start this year before slumping to a 13th-placed finish, two spots higher than Potter's first year in charge. The club's chances were cruelled by instability off the field and a horror injury toll on it. The joint-venture outfit was forced to use 32 players in 2015. Only Cronulla, with 37, used more.

with Sarah Harvey

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...arriors-not-wests-tigers-20140913-10glg2.html

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I saw on the news last night Wayne Bennett has provided the Broncos with his shopping list of players he wants for next year. Here we are still without a coach and still over a month away from appointing one.

All the players 'our coach' wants to buy for next year, because he will have total control over the running of the team (if you are to believe it)will all be gone....

Tiger05

First Grade
I saw on the news last night Wayne Bennett has provided the Broncos with his shopping list of players he wants for next year. Here we are still without a coach and still over a month away from appointing one.

All the players 'our coach' wants to buy for next year, because he will have total control over the running of the team (if you are to believe it)will all be gone....

I don't see this as an issue at all. Lets get the right coach and go from there. WE have just bought an outside back which is exactly what we need. Bennett might have a shopping list however he can only buy the players that are on the market.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
An outside back is not what we need at all.

We need backrowers who can protect Moses & Brooks!

If we don't address that, we'll leak points through them all year.

A new f**king centre doesn't solve that f**king massive issue!

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I don't see this as an issue at all. Lets get the right coach and go from there. WE have just bought an outside back which is exactly what we need. Bennett might have a shopping list however he can only buy the players that are on the market.

I understand what you are saying and pretty much agree Tiger05 but I don't know why we have to wait until October 27th to appoint our coach. Maybe the only reason I can see why we haven't appointed one now is they are still involved with their team (Taylor for example) and we need to wait until the season is completed.

I know there isn't a lot on the market at the moment but I just think we are putting ourselves behind the 8 ball by not having 'our' coach in and fighting for what is available....:(

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
other clubs are organising their rosters and starting pre-season training.

We haven't even got a bloody coach

We haven't addressed how we replace Fulton on the field.

We haven't made any singings to improve our defence

We haven't made any improvements to our back rower quality

We haven't made any improvements to our training facilities.

What the f**k are we waiting for? The Fairy Godmother?

Matchball

Bench
other clubs are organising their rosters and starting pre-season training.

We haven't even got a bloody coach

We haven't addressed how we replace Fulton on the field.

We haven't made any singings to improve our defence

We haven't made any improvements to our back rower quality

We haven't made any improvements to our training facilities.

What the f**k are we waiting for? The Fairy Godmother?

I'm with you. Indecision is killing us here.
We need an experienced forward or two but shouldn't be done until we have a coach with his own staff appointed.

We won't be ready until January at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.