What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith will make a major announcement about the Titans

taipan

Referee
They're moving office? Wow shattering news, slow news week at NRL hq?

In terms of the of a long term future ,after the rubbish that has gone on there, in the past few years,a necessary and forward thinking decision,that is NEWS worthy of an NRL public announcement.

Seriously PR you are one of the guys,described by Jack Gibson as being capable of booing Santa.
Life has negatives but there are also positives FFS.

POPEYE

Coach
Is it good for Rugby League, are more potential Titans supporters going to be made aware by the club administration being more prominently placed, all criteria Smith is paid to initiate. Only problem with that can be rival jealousy

whall15

Coach
I found it a dream to get to form Brissie however. Literally, hop off the M1 at the Mugeeraba exit, park for free, hop on a bus and at the ground in no time. Not that different in time to get to the ground than it is to get to Suncorp from the end of the Cleveland line.

That's what I do coming from the south.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
...a secret consortium wants to buy into the Gold Coast franchise...

I won't lie, the first thing that came into my head reading this was :

200.gif

THE CONSORTIUM WAS ME!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!

_Johnsy

Referee
Until they make it easier to get to the ground from south of Nobby's, then they will never maximise their crowd base..

Drive to one of the many transport hubs to get a free shuttle bus to the game, or free transport on game day via surfside busses. I understand this may be a huge effort for some people to get to a game, drive somewhere then catch a free shuttle bus, or drive to a bus stop & get a free bus.

It's typical of the GC to be honest, apathy seems a large reason why crowds don't go to games. I have no idea how a large portion of RL fans on the GC prefer to get to a game, would a limo at their front door suffice?

They're moving office? Wow shattering news, slow news week at NRL hq?

Yet the Perth consortium have a press release or something to do with their jumper & you're jizzing your duds for a month. Not much happening in WA?

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Drive to one of the many transport hubs to get a free shuttle bus to the game, or free transport on game day via surfside busses. I understand this may be a huge effort for some people to get to a game, drive somewhere then catch a free shuttle bus, or drive to a bus stop & get a free bus.

It's typical of the GC to be honest, apathy seems a large reason why crowds don't go to games. I have no idea how a large portion of RL fans on the GC prefer to get to a game, would a limo at their front door suffice?

Yep, out of all the reasoning given for low crowd numbers at GC games, this is easily the most petty.

I dont think they could make it any easier really. Even if they floated a stadium off the end of Cavill Ave some would still whinge its too hard to get to from Burleigh/Tamborine/South Straddie.

Its one of the easiest stadiums to get to in the comp imo

big hit!

Bench
Yep, out of all the reasoning given for low crowd numbers at GC games, this is easily the most petty.

I dont think they could make it any easier really. Even if they floated a stadium off the end of Cavill Ave some would still whinge its too hard to get to from Burleigh/Tamborine/South Straddie.

Its one of the easiest stadiums to get to in the comp imo

Cost is what's killing it and the club, isn't it?

NRL need to do more than help out with the digs during the week. They need to ensure that the game day expenses can be managed by the club. The stadium deal is a killer for the Titans which leads to the high ticket prices. The NRL may need to go further with their intentions of retaining a presence on the Gold Coast and subsidise the club's game day revenue in the short term. It can't maintain the status quo and succeed.

_Johnsy

Referee
Cost is what's killing it and the club, isn't it?

NRL need to do more than help out with the digs during the week. They need to ensure that the game day expenses can be managed by the club. The stadium deal is a killer for the Titans which leads to the high ticket prices. The NRL may need to go further with their intentions of retaining a presence on the Gold Coast and subsidise the club's game day revenue in the short term. It can't maintain the status quo and succeed.

Spot on, they were selling family tickets as 1 adult & 1 child, i shyte you not. Not sure if they changed it this year. I did go to see Souths flog them & a single ticket was close to $50.

Food & drinks (beer etc) is ridiculously expensive, going to a few games you would honestly think they are making a concerted effort to discourage locals attending.

whall15

Coach
Spot on, they were selling family tickets as 1 adult & 1 child, i shyte you not. Not sure if they changed it this year. I did go to see Souths flog them & a single ticket was close to $50.

Food & drinks (beer etc) is ridiculously expensive, going to a few games you would honestly think they are making a concerted effort to discourage locals attending.

I'm pretty sure food and drink prices are set by Stadiums Queensland/whoever they outsource the food/drink places to so that's outside of the Titans/NRL's control.

no name

Coach
One thing that comes into it for me is value for money.
$30 is the cheapest walk up ticket, gates open when 20s start (often after) and then there is an hours break until the NRL.
There is only ever 2 games.
You can comfortably watch 3/4 of one before waiting an hour for the other, either starving yourself or spending enough to end world poverty for a pie and beer.
Or you can get there 10 min before the NRL watch the game and spend $30 - $60 for 2 hours entertainment before you even think about food/drink.
That effects which games I go to and also other people I know.

insert.pause

First Grade
One thing that comes into it for me is value for money.
$30 is the cheapest walk up ticket, gates open when 20s start (often after) and then there is an hours break until the NRL.
There is only ever 2 games.
You can comfortably watch 3/4 of one before waiting an hour for the other, either starving yourself or spending enough to end world poverty for a pie and beer.
Or you can get there 10 min before the NRL watch the game and spend $30 - $60 for 2 hours entertainment before you even think about food/drink.
That effects which games I go to and also other people I know.

Become a member and pack a sandwich.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...216443378?nk=6cf94e0fa23fc96e0a8e6cbb166f21d7

Titans close to $100 million move that will secure NRL future until 2025

Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
February 12, 2015 12:00AM

THE Titans are closing in on a $100 million move to Parkwood that will secure the club’s future in the NRL until 2025.

The Courier-Mail understands the Titans are a fortnight away from one of the most important deals in the club’s tumultuous eight-year history.

In September, the Titans announced plans to move to a site at Coomera in a proposed $7 million project that had the backing of Gold Coast City Council.

But the club has cooled on Coomera, with a shift to Parkwood International golf course emerging as a superior financial proposition for the embattled NRL club.

Under a tenancy agreement with Parkwood, the Titans would leverage the precinct’s plans for a Leagues Club-style facility that has been a financial backbone for Sydney-based NRL clubs.

As part of the $100m upgrade, Parkwood International would underwrite construction of a state-of-the-art motel and facilities that will offer a social and entertainment arm for Titans fans.

Gold Coast CEO Graham Annesley said no contract had been signed with either Parkwood or Coomera but Parkwood has emerged as the Titans’ preferred home because a move to Coomera hinged on co-owner Darryl Kelly funding construction of an administrative base.

“The Parkwood deal is looking promising but it could still fall over,” Annesley said.

“Whether it’s Parkwood or Coomera, it will cement the Titans on the Gold Coast for at least the next decade and it will continue the rebirth of the club that we have been going through since I got here.

“We are trying to stabilise the club and make it sustainable long-term. Regardless of whether it’s Parkwood or Coomera, this will be an important step in the process.

“Coomera is still on the table but one of the appeals of Parkwood, if it comes off, is to give us a social hub for want of a better term, which the club has never had.

“It’s not really a leagues club, more a community club that would incorporate some of Parkwood’s existing facilities.

“Running an NRL club these days is not easy, some of the traditional leagues clubs used to give enormous grants to their respective football teams, but it’s not as easy these days.”

Annesley reiterated the NRL’s support for the Titans amid speculation the club could be relocated within southeast Queensland.

“It (the Titans being relocated) is so far from the mark it’s not funny,” he said.

“The NRL is absolutely committed to the Gold Coast. The club is not going anywhere. I have read a few things but we have no plans to relocate.’’