What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Rabbitohs in the Grand Final

BranVan3000

Coach
This special moment deserves its own thread. There is still a week to go, and eyes need to be in the big surprise, but for South's supporters - being in the Grand Final after 43 years of heart ache is just so much more significant.

And I don't say that to dismiss the fandom of other teams - but us Rabbitohs supporters have been there through the lowest of lows. Losing our team from the competition, followed by years of wooden spoon results. There is a rocky history there. For me I know being in the GF this week feels surreal, and I'm sure for some of the old timers who have been around for the whole 43 year gap it would be even moreso.

Some fans claim we are the Pride of the League - I don't - we haven't been good enough for a long time. But for 2014 I hope we can be the Pride of the League once again. Thank you Russell Crowe, Peter Holmes A Court, Shane Richardson and Michael Maguire for giving us a chance and changing us from the Joke of the League.

Glory Glory!

Dufmack

Juniors
I think this carrying on can wait till after next weeks game. No one will remember "that time we made the grand final". It is a premiership drought made more embarrassing by the fact you haven't at least featured in any grand finals since your last win, there is no significant achievement to be proud of here just sit nervously and hope you knock off Penrith/bulldogs next week. Then you can proceed to celebrate or commit suicide, depending on the result.

BranVan3000

Coach
I think this carrying on can wait till after next weeks game. No one will remember "that time we made the grand final". It is a premiership drought made more embarrassing by the fact you haven't at least featured in any grand finals since your last win, there is no significant achievement to be proud of here just sit nervously and hope you knock off Penrith/bulldogs next week. Then you can proceed to celebrate or commit suicide, depending on the result.

For a Manly, Melbourne or Roosters it would just be a formality - even the Dogs. Something not worth celebrating. But for a fan of a team with a 43 year drought it is a bit different. Don't be so bitter. I've never seen my team in the Grand Final and I'm excited :crazy:

Wizardman

First Grade
I hate Souths with a passion, but I don't dismiss the passion of the OP's sentiments....South Sydney making the GF is a big deal.
Souths fans will definitely appreciate this week more than a Bronco, Easts, Melb or Manly fan would. When your team has not made a grand final since 1971, I cannot blame Souths fans for really appreciating the week....it may not come again for another 40 years.
If they win the premiership, I'll remember it as the Russell Crowe title. He was HUGE with getting McGuire, Inglis and the Burgess brothers into the fold.

Jason Maher

Immortal
This thread should give us a simple way to identify all the dickheads on LU. Begrudging Souths fans the chance to cheer their team on in a Grand Final, the first time ever for many, after all the shit they've been through, is just petty and childish.

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers haven't been in a grand final since 2003, and that feels like an eternity. I'd be celebrating just as hard as Souths are if we win tonight. It's an epic achievement. Especially for the a club that's not regularly successful.

Enjoy the week Souths fans. Win or lose its a great season so far.

Red Bear

Referee
This thread should give us a simple way to identify all the dickheads on LU. Begrudging Souths fans the chance to cheer their team on in a Grand Final, the first time ever for many, after all the shit they've been through, is just petty and childish.
Yeah, it'll be a shock to see this sort of behaviour here :sarcasm:

Flapper

First Grade
My mum is absolutely stoked. It's good to see a team that isn't a pack of utter merkins supported by utter merkins in the GF for once. Now all we need is Penrith for the People's GF.

Dufmack

Juniors
Panthers haven't been in a grand final since 2003, and that feels like an eternity. I'd be celebrating just as hard as Souths are if we win tonight. It's an epic achievement. Especially for the a club that's not regularly successful.

Enjoy the week Souths fans. Win or lose its a great season so far.

Difference is with Penrith is that we haven't been expected to make it this far, making the grand final with our squad and injuries would be an incredible effort. Souths however have a superstar team and you would have to expect them to make the grand final this year, and if they lose next week I would say they have had another disappointing season, amplified with key players leaving next year. Penrith can be satisfied with how far they've come as it defies all expectations. Souths however are where they should be and should feel relieved if anything. The big achievement is theirs for the taking next week, that's when the celebration should start.

Latest posts