What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Rabbitohs in the Grand Final

Vic Mackey

Referee
Difference is with Penrith is that we haven't been expected to make it this far, making the grand final with our squad and injuries would be an incredible effort. Souths however have a superstar team and you would have to expect them to make the grand final this year, and if they lose next week I would say they have had another disappointing season, amplified with key players leaving next year. Penrith can be satisfied with how far they've come as it defies all expectations. Souths however are where they should be and should feel relieved if anything. The big achievement is theirs for the taking next week, that's when the celebration should start.

Good points. To me that's why I think the dogs are the only chance of beating souths next week. For penrith just making the GF would be a huge achievement, they wouldn't be as hungry as a team who had lost the same game 2 years ago. If the panthers made the GF and lost you'd imagine they'd still be ecstatic with their year. If souths or the dogs were to lose it they would be completely shattered.

souths_pride

Juniors
Difference is with Penrith is that we haven't been expected to make it this far, making the grand final with our squad and injuries would be an incredible effort. Souths however have a superstar team and you would have to expect them to make the grand final this year, and if they lose next week I would say they have had another disappointing season, amplified with key players leaving next year. Penrith can be satisfied with how far they've come as it defies all expectations. Souths however are where they should be and should feel relieved if anything. The big achievement is theirs for the taking next week, that's when the celebration should start.

I think the irony of it is that this Souths team isn't playing as good footy as the South Sydney teams of the last two years yet we've made it to the Grand Final. In saying that, we've unearthed a some young exciting talent who look like they can dominate for years to come. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but some our performances this year have been really, really poor, such as those 3 consecutive losses at the start of the season. Also, the loss against the Titans was one of the worst performances I've seen by any side in the comp this season. Its a strange feeling being in the Grand Final, because you almost wonder how the team made it this year, yet didn't win it last year when we were far more dominant in games and more clinical as well. In saying all that, the gap between the big four teams and the rest of the comp has closed and this has been the most exciting season in recent memory. So after taking that into account, I don't think anyone could begrudge the South Sydney side of a place in the Grand Final.

MacDougall

First Grade
I'd like to thank Souths for icing the Rorters and congrats on making the GF.

And I'd also like to pre-emptively thank the Panthers for winning the premiership when the other three sides that make the top 4 are all my most hated teams. :lol:

Stagger Lee

Bench
Supporting a team that took a very long time to break a drought I can understand Souths fans excitement, I understood it in 92,93,96,99 but most of all I really understood it in 2010

So having said that - Go the Panthers!!!!!

And if it is a Dogs v Bunnies final I think I would rather poke my eyes out than watch :)

Tommy Smith

Referee
Congratulations Souths.

No-one can deny the passion of your fan base and how you guys have had to stick solid through years, decades even, of pain.

So enjoy the week because it's special to be a part of and all the best in the Grand Final.

Loved the guard of honour for Mini btw. Nice touch.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Congrats to Souffs suporters. Hope you enjoy the week.

By the same token, I hope you get dusted in the GF royally.

stormbati

Bench
Congrats Souths fans much deserved. When I first started watching league Souths werent even in the comp.
Long time coming

God-King Dean

Immortal
I despise Souths with every inch of my being. I just got home after walking the streets for 14 hours, vomiting the whole time.

But I gotta tip my hat to them. I was certain they were going to lose last night, as their forwards usually shit themselves when it's put to them, but they muscled up & smashed them.

Though I hope they lose in the GF. LOLing @ Souths has taken up & large portion of my life, I'll have to rebuild my life from the ground up.

ram raid

Bench
I'm happy they're in the gf as well. I just couldn't have handled all the ridicule they would have copped for failing 3 minor premierships in a row. If they lose in the gf but make a good account of themselves, sobeit. At least they're improving.

magpie_man

Juniors
being a former western suburbs-now Wests tigers fan in my early 30s, I can somewhat empathise with the sentiments of south Sydney fans in this thread. The floggings in much of the 90s, merging, the terry lamb era - I honestly thought I'd never see my team make the finals, let alone a grand final. I can only imagine what it must be like for Rabbitohs fans.
congratulations south Sydney, I hope you go all the way

Card Shark

Immortal
This special moment deserves its own thread. There is still a week to go, and eyes need to be in the big surprise, but for South's supporters - being in the Grand Final after 43 years of heart ache is just so much more significant.

And I don't say that to dismiss the fandom of other teams - but us Rabbitohs supporters have been there through the lowest of lows. Losing our team from the competition, followed by years of wooden spoon results. There is a rocky history there. For me I know being in the GF this week feels surreal, and I'm sure for some of the old timers who have been around for the whole 43 year gap it would be even moreso.

Some fans claim we are the Pride of the League - I don't - we haven't been good enough for a long time. But for 2014 I hope we can be the Pride of the League once again. Thank you Russell Crowe, Peter Holmes A Court, Shane Richardson and Michael Maguire for giving us a chance and changing us from the Joke of the League.

Glory Glory!

Well said mate & well deserved. Good Luck!

Skreepe

Juniors
Good luck to any team trying to beat Souths while they ride their penalty counts to premiership.

I have never seen a team consistently receive so many leg-ups throughout the whole season.

Last two years, when the whistle went in the pocket, Souths crumbled. This year, it seems they are trying to get them over the line.

For what it's worth, they would of beat the roosters last night regardless, because their forwards mauled the opposition.

I just hope that when the Dogs play Souths in the GF, the refs allow the game to flow. It will be a great battle of two big packs.

... or alternatively we are going to see a lot of penalties because the two biggest proponents of diving are squaring up.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
So much bitter in this thread refusing to give Souths the credit they are due and you call us poms whingers :lol:

It's always the refs fault in the NRL, your teams were never just not good enough.

Always cheated, never defeated.