What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4nations | Australia v England | aami park | sun 2nd nov

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The issue with this weekend is they had a Kiwi in charge yesterday & an Aussie in charge today. You want a impartial game that should have been swapped round.

England & Samoa missed one tackle that mattered and that's it. But today's officiating was shocking. The Aussies rarely played the ball on the mark. The ruck was woeful slow from both sides which should have been penalised. Sutton gave a penalty to England in the 1st half for DCE having his hand on the ball but then coached both sides the rest of the game when they same thing happened.

The amount of hands on the ball not penalised was shocking

Storm13

Juniors
Australia won it in the wrestle as that second half was officiated much different to the first.

MjM

Juniors
This is a real pet hate that the Aussies get away with all the time. It is evidently one of sheen's genius coaching plans. I don't understand why the markers don't stand their ground where the tackle is made.
You just know England would definitely have been penalised for interference if the Aussie player had run into the marker. Not worth the risk with that referee. Australia's winning try came from a nothing penalty for interference that he ignored the rest of the game.

The officiating today both on field and video ref was a joke and the NRL's complete and pathetic self-interest continues to do incalculable harm to the game in the rest of the world.

Last edited:

LordLeague

Juniors
Agreed Roughy, I just saw a freeze frame with the ball touching the ground and Ryan Hall's finger applying downward pressure and the video referee ignoring the laws of the game to dissallow a try. WTF has the ball rising got to do with it? One end of the ball is touching the ground and the other end has Ryan Hall's pinky pushing against the ball in a downward motion. The fact it was freakish or almost unbelievable should not have a bearing on the decision. I also just witnessed a second half where England were penalised twice for holding down in the PTB when Australia were not penalised at all despite Sutton having countless opportunities to penalise Australia for slowing down the England PTB. As a neutral Inyernational RL fan I offer my commiserations to the hardcore England fans and also feel embarrassed as an international RL advocate to have endured yet another match referred by a non-neutral referee. G. Sutton had a great game up to half time but showed in the second half that he too was not immune to the Australian powerbrokers, caving in to the pressure to give the Aussies some opportunities. I'd rather have a Frog from Elite 1 referring, sure he'd make a few blunders, but what are the Aussies so afraid of? Aren't they that good it shouldn't matter who the Ref is?

Hall got more downward pressure on that ball than Jennings did for his try.

Bernard Sutton definately felt the heat and caved. G.Sutton was way out of his depth in the box. What would have Steve Ganson done?? .

Lord League

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/261024-021114-australia-v-england-ko-5am-gmt/page-40

B1axFLFIUAAt2-Q.jpg

wests1

Juniors
I think people are clutching at straws to say that its no try because there wasn't downward pressure.
The ball was on the ground and was touched. It was a try every day of the week and England were flat out robbed.
Ps this is from an Australian.

Steve Davy

Juniors
The issue with this weekend is they had a Kiwi in charge yesterday & an Aussie in charge today. You want a impartial game that should have been swapped round.

England & Samoa missed one tackle that mattered and that's it. But today's officiating was shocking. The Aussies rarely played the ball on the mark. The ruck was woeful slow from both sides which should have been penalised. Sutton gave a penalty to England in the 1st half for DCE having his hand on the ball but then coached both sides the rest of the game when they same thing happened.

Ideally, as in at any level of park footy, the ref should be impartial and be seen to be impartial. The ARL threw out any attempt to be aiming for impartial and that would have put huge pressure on the ref.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade

Is there sufficient evidence to suggest he is touching the ball? It's 50/50 at best.

Hall says he felt the ball now, but he didn't when the game was on.

I mean, objectively speaking, I'm pretty sure if the sides were reversed everyone would go ape if this was a winning try awarded to Australia.

To find conspiracy in this decision is a bit of a joke. Yes it should have been a neutral ref, but that's another issue.

Last edited:

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Was it not ruled a knock on?

Why did England setup for a drop out? Why didn't any of them claim the try? Obviously there is a huge amount of doubt.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Oh hang on, I see what you mean.

Yeah, ok, so the ruling was he did touch it but no downward pressure and I think this is the most correct decision considering a balance of probabilities.

Last edited:

geordie_saint

Juniors
Was it not ruled a knock on?

Why did England setup for a drop out? Why didn't any of them claim the try? Obviously there is a huge amount of doubt.

Clearly there was doubt but that doesn't mean it wasn't a try. That is what the video ref is for and he's made an absolute clanger! Hall actually had more contact with the ball on grounding than Jennings did but that was given...

maple_69

Bench
Is the international ruling the same as the NRL these days in terms of downward pressure. That would have been given in the NRL a couple years but certainly not this year.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Clearly there was doubt but that doesn't mean it wasn't a try. That is what the video ref is for and he's made an absolute clanger! Hall actually had more contact with the ball on grounding than Jennings did but that was given...

A clanger is awarding an own try in the NRC. This was no clanger. I would bet London to a brick that if this was Inglis touching down to seal the game then TotalRL would be up in arms for the no try case. That alone would suggest it is not a clanger.

And this is coming from a huge anti-australia campaigner.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Oh hang on, I see what you mean.

Yeah, ok, so the ruling was he did touch it but no downward pressure and I think this is the most correct decision considering a balance of probabilities.

Rubbish. If they rule that he touched it then it has to be given as a try. Instead they ruled he touched the ball - while it was on the ground, and as such was the last person to touch it. They should have either ruled he hasn't touched it (or there was insufficient evidence to reverse the original decision), or given a try. The 20 meter restart just proved the video ref had no idea what he was doing.

100%green

Juniors
This is a real pet hate that the Aussies get away with all the time. It is evidently one of sheen's genius coaching plans. I don't understand why the markers don't stand their ground where the tackle is made.

They did, Charnley got penalised for not standing square when he slapped the ball from Inglis's hand.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Rubbish. If they rule that he touched it then it has to be given as a try. Instead they ruled he touched the ball - while it was on the ground, and as such was the last person to touch it. They should have either ruled he hasn't touched it (or there was insufficient evidence to reverse the original decision), or given a try. The 20 meter restart just proved the video ref had no idea what he was doing.
He knew full well what he was doing.