What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4nations | Australia v England | aami park | sun 2nd nov

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
They did, Charnley got penalised for not standing square when he slapped the ball from Inglis's hand.

That was a stupid penalty from Charnley. Childish stuff.

A marker should have the right to stand where the tackle was made and not budge an inch and the refs should uphold this right.

geordie_saint

Juniors
A clanger is awarding an own try in the NRC. This was no clanger. I would bet London to a brick that if this was Inglis touching down to seal the game then TotalRL would be up in arms for the no try case. That alone would suggest it is not a clanger.

And this is coming from a huge anti-australia campaigner.

I disagree. I think most people would be honest enough.

maccattack

Juniors
Nobody is talking about the repeated late tackles on the England kicker.

Hall scored. If Jennings did Hall did.

England robbed.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hall scored. If Jennings did Hall did.

England robbed.
If youre happy to say Hall grounded the ball, why not use the same standard of grounding on Inglis? He grounded it first, with more fingers and more oressure then Hall or Jennings.

Meaning it can't be a try if Inglis has grounded it and made the ball dead. He was trying to knock it dead and failed at that, but still grounded the ball more then Hall or Jennings.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Lmao, can't believe some of you actually believe that was a try? Even i was supporting England and thought no way was that a try. Even Hall got up without celebrating and was content for the drop out! Hall didn't claim it and probably would've been dumbstruck if he was awarded!

Scubby

Juniors
Best I could get but clearly shows fingers being bent backwards after touching the ball. Also ball fully flat on contact.

Untitled-1a.jpg

Nothern

Juniors
Why wasn't it a try? Explain. It is irrelevant whether a player celebrates, isn't it?

Don't want to sound like sour grapes, feels like England blew it. I know Aus played much better 2nd half, but England went into their shells.

Decision would have been just a bit easier to take from a neutral ref.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Why wasn't it a try? Explain. It is irrelevant whether a player celebrates, isn't it?

Don't want to sound like sour grapes, feels like England blew it. I know Aus played much better 2nd half, but England went into their shells.

Decision would have been just a bit easier to take from a neutral ref.

I don't regard a pinky as downward pressure. NRL trys in the past like Barba's where he's grounded it with his fingernails should have never been trys as well

As for whether it's "irrelevant whether a player celebrates", not really. It's a telling sign of how much pressure he placed on the ball. If he had downward pressure, why didn't he claim the try? If he actually did have downward pressure, I'd bet he'd gets up appealing.. but he didn't

Storm13

Juniors
Considering all VR decisions are based on slow mo to begin with it should of been awarded a try.

strong_latte

Juniors
Can the people arguing about the "downward pressure" nonsense explain to me how it is you apply "downward pressure" to an abject from it's side? I'd have thought the pressure needed to be coming from at least somewhere near the top.

In any case, even if the video ref was feeling particularly charitable and decided for some reason to award a finger brushing the side of a ball on its way out as "downward pressure" you'd have to agree those sorts of decisions (because they do happen from time to time) don't really deserve to be awarded as a try.

Chook Norris

First Grade
:lol:

I've seen some bullshit posts today and this is right up there, are you Bernard Sutton? What f**king difference does it make which finger he grounds the ball with? :lol:

I poorly worded it.

See above post. His pinky was basically brushing the side of the ball. There was no downward pressure from his pinky onto the ball. He essentially propelled it forward

Can the people arguing about the "downward pressure" nonsense explain to me how it is you apply "downward pressure" to an abject from it's side? I'd have thought the pressure needed to be coming from at least somewhere near the top.

In any case, even if the video ref was feeling particularly charitable and decided for some reason to award a finger brushing the side of a ball on its way out as "downward pressure" you'd have to agree those sorts of decisions (because they do happen from time to time) don't really deserve to be awarded as a try.

Last edited: