What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constant bagging of the standard of footy

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
It's a bit rich to blame the media for bagging certain games when almost every single person on here bags almost everything to do with the game. Referees, crowds, players, administrators, weather, grounds, jerseys, commentators, etc. I've never encountered a sport with such a negative fanbase.

betcats

Referee
We have a similar game v Broncos the other week.... Lets Blame SOO though

That game was completely different. Low scoring yes but it wasn't the boring crapfest from Saturday night. Cows probably had a quarter or their cap out and the tigers never looked like scoring. The cows did defend well but they were never really put to the test, other than that I wasn't expecting much from them, they did what they had to to win and played safe conservative footy.

Last edited:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Just had a look at the Telecrap at work and over a pic from the Tigers v Cowboys game we have the words "rubbish", "crap" and "rip-off" in large writing.

Is there any other sport that has to cop this shit?

It was the paper itself that the words described.

franklin2323

Immortal
That game was completely different. Low scoring yes but it wasn't the boring crapfest from Saturday night. Cows probably had a quarter or their cap out and the tigers never looked like scoring. The cows did defend well but they were never really put to the test, other than that I wasn't expecting much from them, they did what they had to to win and played safe conservative footy.

Kevin Naiqama bombed a certain try. He scores that it's a different game. Tigers are a poor team so the game would of been poor either way.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Kevin Naiqama bombed a certain try. He scores that it's a different game. Tigers are a poor team so the game would of been poor either way.

That's true. If he scored the cowboys have to up the anti to score and the last 20mins is probably exciting.

Funny thing is to me the best game I've seen all year was the sharks rabbits which had the least amount of passes thrown in years. I think in that instance though you knew they had to play like that and in those conditions it was actually a skill so you could appreciate it.

beave

Coach

He is also lucky he didn't score because you would not have heard the end of me whinging about it due to the blatant and missed forward pass thrown just before the kick

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Mascord is the only one who's hit the real issue. The two teams on Saturday were coached to play that way, and players don't develop an entertaining, attacking style of football in these systems. It also takes away the power of players, as a coach can slot in any old plodder and get similar results.

Sundays game was fine because you had a few blokes like Austin and Reynolds who are let off te leash.

Is it a scheduling issue when there's a dud of a game in the first 10 rounds? It's far too convenient to blame Origin for conservative coaches who won't take any risks.

betcats

Referee
Mascord is the only one who's hit the real issue. The two teams on Saturday were coached to play that way, and players don't develop an entertaining, attacking style of football in these systems. It also takes away the power of players, as a coach can slot in any old plodder and get similar results.

Sundays game was fine because you had a few blokes like Austin and Reynolds who are let off te leash.

Is it a scheduling issue when there's a dud of a game in the first 10 rounds? It's far too convenient to blame Origin for conservative coaches who won't take any risks.

Do you think that game would of still been bad if Thurston, Scott, Morgan, Tamou, Farah and Woods were playing? There is always that chance but its pretty unlikely we get a boring game like Saturday.

You are right about the coaches being very conservative but origin certainly has a big effect on the footy we see throughout the period.

Chook Norris

First Grade
There was some Daily Telecrap article saying how Friday's game was 'proof' that Origin needs to be held on stand-alone weekends. This was written before Sunday's game. If one game is proof, does that mean that Sunday's brilliant game is proof as well that Origin doesn't need to be held on stand alone weekends?

MarkC

Juniors
It is also the beauty of the NRL that you can get different styles of games.
Often a low scoring grinding game can be interesting, that was not the case on Saturday as the standard was a bit low.
On the other hand if you like a high scoring entertaining game, then the Sunday game had it all.
You will find some people complaining about both games ..... what that says to me is they just want to whinge.

In terms of lifting the standard, it may seem counter intuitive but expansion is the way to go.
That way we can have more day games where the conditions allow the players to player entertaining footy. Today's players are generally more skillful than earlier eras, it is just that we play more night games and the conditions can limit what they players can do.
In saying that a slog in the wet can be a very entertaining and enjoyable game.
The other benefit of expansion is there are more teams to draw SOO players from so the impact on average is less per club.

do you think that game would of still been bad if thurston, scott, morgan, tamou, farah and woods were playing? There is always that chance but its pretty unlikely we get a boring game like saturday.

You are right about the coaches being very conservative but origin certainly has a big effect on the footy we see throughout the period.

would of still been bad

Perth Red

Post Whore
RL loves to bag RL. Its in our DNA! It wasn't a great game and I flicked over in second half to see how Dockers were getting on. The whole look of the AFL game was 100 times better but the actual game was frustratingly boring to the point I flicked back after 10 mins. We should count ourselves lucky 75% of games are great entertainment. Try watching majority of soccer, union or AFL games to see how bad sport can get!

ps I usually find scores of around 24-20 produce the most enjoyable games for me.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Damn Paul Green!

He should have let Kostjacyn and Thompson "off the leash" to weave their attacking magic.

I mean they don't call him Twinkle-Toes Rory for nothing.

eozsmiles

Bench
So the Tigers v Cowboys wasn't the best game of footy. Big f**king deal.

Is it worth the media going into a frenzy though and labelling it the most disgraceful game in 156 years and that rugby league is dying?

The very next day we had a great game minus the Origin "stars" in Canberra.

Friday night was a reasonable game considering the conditions.

The TV ratings would suggest that plenty of people chose to stick with the NRL on Saturday night than watch the other codes, particularly the Waratahs who were involved in a grand final re-match. Woeful ratings for them.

Man our code puts up with a lot of shit.

I haven't read any of the media reports but plenty of average punters on twitter and alike thought the games were crap. But fans know games suck at this time of year so there is no use complaining. Nowadays people are happy to complain about anything that doesn't suit them 100%. Footy fans are no exception.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's true. If he scored the cowboys have to up the anti to score and the last 20mins is probably exciting.

Funny thing is to me the best game I've seen all year was the sharks rabbits which had the least amount of passes thrown in years. I think in that instance though you knew they had to play like that and in those conditions it was actually a skill so you could appreciate it.

I admit it was a shocking game but so was Wt v Newcastle the week before and a other games. Games are poor all year

I must have missed the Memo from NRL HQ ,where they guaranteed every game every RD would be a nail biter ,
Every game showcasing silky attacking skills ,mind blowing set plays .