What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International RL 'nicknames' - England ?

The Partisan

Just checking.....

Is the nickname for the England RL team still ...the Lions ....the same as the Great Britain team was known as ?

Have seen the 'Wall of white' used a couple of times on the ever reliable wikipedia but have never heard / seen it referred to that I'm mainstream media.

roughyedspud

Coach
I've never seen the England team referred to as the Lions.

Lions has often be used by aussie & kiwi commentators during test but its never been used by the RFL & englandRL..infact they prefer "knights" and the nsscot in the foam suit is a "knight"

2699459.jpg

roughyedspud

Coach
What are the other England teams sports nicknamed, aren't most just referred to as the Lions or some variation?

England football - lions

England cricket - lions ( the 'A' team is officially the england lions)

British & ireland RU - lions

Great britain RL - lions

England RU - a red rose

England RL - knights

Erm...can't think of anymore

roughyedspud

Coach
they are......

see england cricket..theres the first team and a 'A' team called england lions..likewise theres England RL and the 'A' team england knights

RedVee

First Grade
they are......

see england cricket..theres the first team and a 'A' team called england lions..likewise theres England RL and the 'A' team england knights

Thanks. I didn't think they'd been talked into the 'Hearts' thing (Bravehearts, Dragonhearts) but then doubted myself.

roughyedspud

Coach
Don't worry hes under lock & key..

Though i fully support putting him on a boat,in shackles,and sending him to oz....just like the good old days..

The Partisan

To add to my query......

Does England need a nickname ?

Would having one help increase their profile ? Help with sponsor opportunities ? Help with engagement with the national media ? Increase merchandising options ?

We have Kangaroos, Kiwis, Kumuls, Le Coqs; Bati, Bravehearts; Wolfhounds and Tamaraws ..... Is England on the outer if not known via nickname ?

England is on the outer because they are irrelevant in their own country and that's got nothing to do with nicknames. But destroying the only vaguely recognisable brand they had didn't help.

deluded pom?

Coach
To add to my query......

Does England need a nickname ?

Would having one help increase their profile ? Help with sponsor opportunities ? Help with engagement with the national media ? Increase merchandising options ?

We have Kangaroos, Kiwis, Kumuls, Le Coqs; Bati, Bravehearts; Wolfhounds and Tamaraws ..... Is England on the outer if not known via nickname ?

Are France Le Coqs? I've never heard them called that before. Tricolours and Chanticleers but never Le Coqs.

Last edited: