What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Limited Dribble

Heisenburg

Juniors
http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl...in-walsh-tribute/story-fndv7pj3-1227427570808

AFL fans paid Phil Walsh the highest honour tonight, with a tribute so hushed, so respectful that “you could hear a pin drop”.

The AFL community has been rocked by a wave of emotion today after news of the tragic death of Adelaide Crows coach.

In what has been described as one of the toughest days in the history of the AFL, an overwhelming show of support has been directed towards the Adelaide Football Club, which now faces the challenge of dealing with the remainder of the season without its head coach.

Hawthorn and Collingwood drew the difficult task of playing in the first match since the 55-year-old’s death and seized the opportunity to show the ultimate sign of respect.

In a packed MCG, you could have heard a pin drop on the grass during the pre-game minute’s silence tribute.

Players stood arm-in-arm in the middle of the field, some with very heavy heads as they remembered a man who had been involved in nearly half of the nation’s football clubs throughout his 32-year playing and coaching career.

Not a single crowd member remained seated during the tribute, as fans recognised the generous impact Walsh had on the football community — the eerie silence a sign of their sincere condolences.

“You could hear a pin drop, so respectful,” commentator Bruce McAvaney said.

The moment was a stark contrast to the performance put in by rugby league crowds a few Wednesdays ago, but the less said about that the better.

However, the NRL also showed their support for Walsh’s family and the AFL community with a minute’s silence prior to the Round 17 opener between the Penrith Panthers and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Thankfully, respect was shown when it was needed most.

Following the match, despite Hawthorn’s close 10-point defeat of the Magpies, players from both sides embraced in a huddle on the field to pay further tribute to a man that had impacted so many of them.

In the same vein as the #PutYourBatsOut gesture that swept across the world following the shock death of cricketer Phillip Hughes last November, social media has been flooded with the hashtag #PutYourScarvesOut.

Hundreds of images have been uploaded to Twitter showing scarves of all different AFL sides hanging from front doors, balconies and fences around cities across the country.

“Because when some footy people hurt, all footy people hurt. #putyourscarvesout #RIPPhilWalsh,” wrote user Lauren alongside a photo showing a St Kilda and Carlton scarf fastened side by side off her patio.

Others hung their woolly memorabilia from their letter boxes, office windows and off the back of cars, with many combining different club colours as a mark of respect.

Adelaide supporters have also been laying a steady flow of tributes at the doors of the Crows’ headquarters, bringing flowers, cards and candles before pausing to pay their respects

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
I saw that.

Absolutely disgraceful article and very poorly timed.

To compare the two 1 minutes silence in such black and white terms is so immature.

typicalfan

Coach
I thought the Panthers vs Rabbitohs minute silence for the tragedy was very respectful. News trying to score points on such a sensitive issue. So typical.

some11

Referee
What about the minute's silence at the Broncos game for James Ackerman?

Dan Elsom can lick my hairy beanbag.

JW

Coach
What the f**k is wrong with Fumblers?

Blokes dying and the f**kwits start whipping out their shlorts for a measuring contest.

Dan Elsom you absolute pillock.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Fancy trying to score points over this incident???

How pathetic are these pricks??? Any excuse to talk down RL these merkins will use it. Talk about disrespectful.

DlEHARD

Juniors
AFL bias aside.

To be honest the behaviour of members of the crowd at that Origin game was appalling. Something needs to be done.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
AFL bias aside.

To be honest the behaviour of members of the crowd at that Origin game was appalling. Something needs to be done.
:lol: I haven't been able to sleep since this Incident. Heads must roll!!!!!

Won't somebody think of the children!!!!!! welcome troll.

Diesel

Coach
In all of this the media need to realise a persons life was cut short and this shouldn't be glorified or point scoring in any way. His family are going through hell and the media is playing it out for everyone

No need for the line in they article, in a tragedy like this that has brought together man people and codes, NEWS is trying to divide.

I thought that minute silence at Prnrith last night and tribute was done well.

JW

Coach
DIEHARD said:
AFL bias aside.

:lol:

Yep, anyone and everyone who intends to go to a Rugby League game in the future needs to attend a 3-day mandatory Intensive Minutes Silence workshop in world famous Collington, hosted my Norman/Mother.

Just be warned though that if you don't have at least 1 white parent and have consumed a falafel in the last 5 years, you may be refused entry.

That should learn 'em.

:lol:

Yep, anyone and everyone who intends to go to a Rugby League game in the future needs to attend a 3-day mandatory Intensive Minutes Silence workshop in world famous Collington, hosted my Norman/Mother.

Just be warned though that if you don't have at least 1 white parent and have consumed a falafel in the last 5 years, you may be refused entry.

That should learn 'em.

:lol::lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The origin disrespect wasn't great but there was a lot of drunk people at that game so not that surprised a handful of tards out couldn't keep quiet for 60seconds

The respect shown at the two nrl games has been exceptional, especially considering we are talking about someone from the rival code.

PR - we know you don't get to too many NRL games, and you were excited about attending SoO at the G and all that, but seriously, you're gonna have to practice your minute's silence, ok.

elbusto

Coach
The origin disrespect wasn't great but there was a lot of drunk people at that game so not that surprised a handful of tards out couldn't keep quiet for 60seconds

The respect shown at the two nrl games has been exceptional, especially considering we are talking about someone from the rival code.
And there were major differences.

I had no idea Clark was dead until they made the announcement and I don't know anybody else who knew either,

Add to that the 'who the feck is Ron Clark' factor, and the amount of alcohol consumed during the day, the fact only 13 out of 91513 made a dick of themselves was a good effort.

In the circs 'A moments silence' like 20-30 seconds (which happens a lot these days) was enough.

I kept quiet for the minute even though I had no respect for the Clark at all but it was difficult :)

AFL bias aside.

And yet the behaviour happened in Melbourne, an AFL region. Can't re-call seeing anything like that at a rugby league game in Sydney in recent years, can you?

You could just as easily point the finger at Melbourne :roll:

Latest posts