What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWE SuperThread II *Spoilers*

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think there's certainly room for women who fit into both camps.

I love the NXT girls because they're legitimately talented wrestlers who get over on the basis of their in ring ability. The fact Bayley v Becky Lynch main-evented NXT this week would indicate that Triple H shares some of that belief.

That said, I do like the eye candy valets such as Lana for what purpose they serve. I miss the yearly Playboy spreads from sultry divas, but would like there to be a divide between 'divas' and 'women's wrestlers'.

Or sports entertainers, because Vince is a f**king asshole.

Bulldog Force

Referee
My golden period was Trish, Lita, Stacy Keibler, (pre-baby) Stephanie Mcmahon, and Torrie Wilson. Even girls like Victoria were hot because she was doing her own thing. The fact that the work rate in this era was so good also meant I didnt skip the matches and saw more of them.

Yep - these ones too.

Hoggmaster

Juniors
I think there's certainly room for women who fit into both camps.

I love the NXT girls because they're legitimately talented wrestlers who get over on the basis of their in ring ability. The fact Bayley v Becky Lynch main-evented NXT this week would indicate that Triple H shares some of that belief.

That said, I do like the eye candy valets such as Lana for what purpose they serve. I miss the yearly Playboy spreads from sultry divas, but would like there to be a divide between 'divas' and 'women's wrestlers'.

Or sports entertainers, because Vince is a f**king asshole.

I dont disagree with the fact they can be good looking, Lita and Trish were great wrestlers and they were hot, but you also had girls who were purely workers like Jazz and Molly Holly.

Girls like Lana would fall into the valet category and are designed to draw attention to the wrestler they are representing. Its especially effective when you have a wrestler who lacks charisma but is great in the ring, like Lance Storm and Dawn Marie.

I think they missed the boat with Lana and Rusev though. She started to get over so they decided to separate them. If you think back to Heel Macho Man pre WM4 half his heat was because he was such a dick to Miss Elizabeth who was insanely popular. They could have built so much heat on Rusev if they'd left them together but had him acting like an arsehole.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think that is a product of how the WWE handles it's women these days. Apart from AJ I've found most things in the WWE's divas division to be quite boring, on the other hand however I've quite liked what is going on in NXT.

Trish Stratus bored the shit out of me, too.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sorry to keep harping on about it but I will never follow anything called the'divas' division.

Right now the 2nd highest drawing person in all of combat sports is Rhonda Rousey (Floyd Mayweather being number 1). She out-draws the men because she's a genuine bad ass. Not because she wears a purple butterfly, poses nude for playboy, or allows herself to be called a 'diva', but because she kicks ass.

People forget that the Rock and Wrestling connection was originally kicked off by Wendi Richter vs the Fabulous Moolah. The interest generated in the match allowed Hogan vs Piper to explode later, but for a while the biggest feud in sport was 2 women.

Eelementary says he's a misogynist for finding female wrestling boring, but right now the vast majority of people watching women's wrestling is doing so for the T'n'A, or because they're watching it live and can't skip it.

If WWE wants women's wrestling to actually draw money rather than being a sideshow it needs to rethink the presentation. That means renaming the division to something that doesn't devalue the performer before they even walk out from the curtain, make the title mean something (including making the belt look good rather than a purple butterfly prop), and portray the women as ass kickers rather than silicon filled cum dumpsters.

It's worked before, it's working right now in MMA, it can work in pro wrestling.

I just find that a lot of the women (even the ones considered good) either sell bumps poorly, or have average in-ring psychology.

Plus they hardly look like badasses.

Roussey is a genuine badass, but how would she fare against Overeem? Lesnar? Mir? Or even Jon Jones?

I don't like that I feel this way, but I just can't take women wrestlers seriously.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Despite not being my cup of tea, Paige has a nice and juicy booty :D

11856566_829932737114327_963327666_n.jpg

afinalsin666

First Grade
Is she supposed to be 'in character'? Because she's a babyface on TV, but a petulant bitch on Tough Enough.

When The Miz comes across as the reasonable, rational person on the panel something is wrong.

She's doing a Simon Cowell gimmick. Because she's British and on a panel, and the wwe aren't creative.

mackdadday

Juniors
Apparently that WWE title match on RAW between Neville and Rollins was the first RAW world title match since January..2013 :eek:

Misanthrope

Staff member
She's doing a Simon Cowell gimmick. Because she's British and on a panel, and the wwe aren't creative.

Ugh, she's terrible at it. Where Cowell was witty in his criticisms, she just comes across as a really jealous, vindictive bitch. If they'd wanted somebody for that role, why not use a Bella who uses that as her default personality?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Is BulldogsForce the IanG of posting wrestler photos? He picks some pretty awful pictures of otherwise attractive women.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I disagree. While it gets a bit much having world title defenses on free TV regularly, one of the highlights of the Attitude Era was never knowing what to expect from a show. Hell, the title changed hands on Raw.

Big Pete

Referee
I was surprised to read that.

I agree with Sanchez' point. A WWE Championship match should be presented as a big deal. It shouldn't just be something thrown on television as a way to spice up a show, it should be far more significant to that. To the point where if the championship happens to be booked on Raw, it's a huge TV event.

And that's why I've got an issue with this Rollins/Neville match. They really could have trumpeted that up and used it to get Rollins over as a serious champion. Instead of being like 'got to hand it to Rollins, he's really owning this championship bit' my reaction is more like 'oh what do you know'.

Still, I'd much rather that than WCW 2000.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ah, I misunderstood Sanchez's point.

I thought he was against world title matches being on TV period. If he's saying it's good that title matches aren't given away regularly, I agree wholeheartedly.

Two years is a rather long time between drinks though. The formula that elevated both WCW and the WWE to huge levels was giving people an incentive to watch TV and an incentive to buy PPV. At this stage, Raw rarely gives me a reason to tune in.

Last edited: