What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
aquaduck said:
I see absolutely nothing in Hoppa, not particularly big, strong, fast or great in defence. To me he's just another guy these days
Agree - plodder. Didn't really do anything that massive at Manly either - was just a good finisher in a very high quality team. Parra got suckered with that one big time - in a similar way that we may well have been suckered with Sione and his cohort.

I see a lot of Sione in Hoppa tbh.

Was gonna say the same thing. It's not unusual for islander boys to dominate until everyone else's physical development catches up. They seem to naturally be able to develop their bodies faster than their whitey peers.

aqua_duck

Coach
I had big wraps on Hoppa when he was at manly, he's unfortunately never been the same after the mission

slotmachine

First Grade
Was gonna say the same thing. It's not unusual for islander boys to dominate until everyone else's physical development catches up. They seem to naturally be able to develop their bodies faster than their whitey peers.

Sione looks like a driven and contentious type of character, so he was probably training with his older bros who were in the first grade squad when other 16 year olds were out chasing chicks.

aqua_duck

Coach
The more I think about it, the more I think the Aidan Tolman rumours make sense, dogs know they have quite a few off contract for 2017, getting rid of Tolman (who's probably their 4th beat prop) would free up some decent cap room to front load a few contracts next year. With the way Klemmer has come on this year and with Lloyd perrett showing abit of potential, I don't think losing Tolman will hurt them too much, compare that to the prospect of losing Mbye after losing Hodkinson, that would put them in a much bigger hole.

slotmachine

First Grade
Considering there is talk Mbye is attracting offers north of 700k, I agree.
I'd say third best though, I'd only say Klemmer and Graham are ahead of him.

Tolman and Hodko is a pretty decent outcome after we looked to be up shit creek next season for recruitment about June. Two players the Dogs will miss more than they think. Mbye's manager might be our best friend cos I understand Tolman is being let go very very begrudgingly by Hasler as he has to come up with 750 k a year to keep Moses. Insane money for kid with less than 30 grade games to his name. Tolman should be our captain if he does indeed sign on. A no nonsense leader. We need a complete turnover from head to toe. New Captain with no ties to the place. New coach with new ideas. Players get with the programme or they piss off. Simple.

Last edited:
Tolman and Hodko is a pretty decent outcome after we looked to be up shit creek next season for recruitment about June. Two players the Dogs will miss more than they think. Mbye's manager might be our best friend cos I understand Tolman is being let go very very begrudgingly by Hasler as he has to come up with 750 k a year to keep Moses. Insane money for kid with less than 30 grade games to his name. Tolman should be our captain if he does indeed sign on. A no nonsense leader. We need a complete turnover from head to toe. New Captain with no ties to the place. New coach with new ideas. Players get with the programme or they piss off. Simple.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Joel-22

Juniors

Couldn't agree more.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Firstly, agree with The Showstopper post below...

Just re Tolman - if the Bulldogs are pressed for cap $$$ and need to offload out of his contract (has he got a year to go?), what should we be expecting the Doggies to pick up of Tolman's $$$ for next year?

We are rumoured to be carrying $200K of Tyrone's package for 2016...do we look at the same arrangement for Tolman to come across?

I certainly hope any negotiations are factoring in some carryover of salary from the Bulldogs.

In truth, I have been growing in faith that our negotiation and recruitment strategy is probably a strengthening element of how our administration are starting to operate, so I expect this is being handled effectively...any thoughts?

Perth Knights

Juniors
Have read that Tolman wont be released from the final two years of his contract by the doggies. Would have been great to see Tolman in the red and blue for '16. He is exactly the type of forward we need .. hard working and reliable.

I am pretty sure it was 2gb or triple m I was listening to ( can't recall which) but Dave Riccio said we are looking likely for Tolman and have offered him 600 k a season. He also said Tolman initiated the contact and is keen to join Knights. No reason given but he believes we will eventually sign him for 2016. Dogs have taken our line of denying anything till deal is done.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Tolman is Kempsey so the only reason I can think of why he'd contact us is because he wants to be closer to family

perverse

Referee
Tolman would be a really big signing for us. He is all class, and a winner. Massive motor, so will suit the reduced interchange. Might even make Snowy play better if he thinks he isn't top dog in the pack. Really hope this one happens.

We still need big bodies in the team, though. The Dogs can carry a prop like Tolman because they've got a lot of impact around him. Tolman will work all day, but he's not going to bust a game open.

Whats Doing

Bench
Tolman would be a really big signing for us. He is all class, and a winner. Massive motor, so will suit the reduced interchange. Might even make Snowy play better if he thinks he isn't top dog in the pack. Really hope this one happens.

We still need big bodies in the team, though. The Dogs can carry a prop like Tolman because they've got a lot of impact around him. Tolman will work all day, but he's not going to bust a game open.

I was talking to a current NRL coach the other day and asked the question as to whether the reduced interchanges next year to 8 will have an impact on the game and the larger forwards. He said not much impact due to the current concussion rule but it would definitely have an impact if it went down to 6.

I was talking to a current NRL coach the other day and asked the question as to whether the reduced interchanges next year to 8 will have an impact on the game and the larger forwards. He said not much impact due to the current concussion rule but it would definitely have an impact if it went down to 6.

what does the concussion rule have to do with it?

Latest posts