What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which prodigal son do you most want back in the NRL?

Which prodigal son do you most want back in the NRL?

• Jarryd Hayne

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Sam Burgess

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Sonny Bill Williams

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Israel Folau

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Craig Wing

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Andrew Everingham

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

killbill

Juniors
RL would certainly be a better option for US athletes who don't quite make it in American football. RL and NFL are very different games they are closer then RU and NFL. I'd love to see some of those guys who don't get picked up out of college to learn league in a professional environment to see what they can do.

Yes I agree the hardest thing for the American Footballers is they are programmed from a young age say are learning assignments and plays and already mapping out certain positions. You need to get them and get guys that can go both ways. You need guys that can attack and defend - not many can do that and pass of course. Players like a safety or tight end. The later the harder to make it I would think.

Thats what has made Hayne such a big hit is he has practiced Football for only 6 mths and we are brought up it is the greatest game on the planet and boom first play!

betcats

Referee
Yes I agree the hardest thing for the American Footballers is they are programmed from a young age say are learning assignments and plays and already mapping out certain positions. You need to get them and get guys that can go both ways. You need guys that can attack and defend - not many can do that and pass of course. Players like a safety or tight end. The later the harder to make it I would think.

Thats what has made Hayne such a big hit is he has practiced Football for only 6 mths and we are brought up it is the greatest game on the planet and boom first play!

Yeah defense would be an issue no doubt.

Hayne I did not expect to do anywhere near so well as he has and I think Hayne is the most gifted footy player ive ever seen, running has always been the best part of his game though so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

killbill

Juniors
Yeah defense would be an issue no doubt.

Hayne I did not expect to do anywhere near so well as he has and I think Hayne is the most gifted footy player ive ever seen, running has always been the best part of his game though so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Being new to it I was surprised particularly as he is 28 and competing with all the young hungry guys. It all about determination though - if some of our guys are determined enough and willing to come up through the ranks than they can do it. There isn't really anything for NFL players other than CFL and Arena which pays nothing. Its not all about money though from what I read about Hayne is he is doing it for the challenge you need guys from here with that attitude - ex military good at football maybe a start.

Parra

Referee
Jarryd Hayne
Sam Burgess
Sonny Bill Williams
Israel Folau
Craig Wing
Andrew Everingham

Why label these and others in the list as prodigal?

Rhyno

First Grade
Hayne and Folau have both said the only nrl club they would play for is parramatta

The best of the was Hayne, would love to see him back but he looks to have made it in the big time. I'm happy for him, same goes with SBW and Folau. Sam Burges however is wasting his time and talents, he should really come back.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Craig Field. Weekend release program.

If the strings can't be pulled then maybe we welcome back Anthony Watts. THe game could use some more drug dealing, tockley biting "characters"

Ice_Storm

Juniors
RL would certainly be a better option for US athletes who don't quite make it in American football. RL and NFL are very different games they are closer then RU and NFL. I'd love to see some of those guys who don't get picked up out of college to learn league in a professional environment to see what they can do.

Anyone remember back in the early 90's how the Broncos were seriously looking at doing this? I recall a big article in Rugby League Week discussing this very thing. I think at the time Wayne Bennett and co spent some time over there as to training ideas etc.

And their point was just that posted by betcats. Plenty of very talented, athletic guys miss out so why not offer them some kind of opportunity to play down here? Plenty of talk about not enough talent to drive another NRL team or two. I disagree. Plenty of talent in NZ, Islands and even the U.S. to fill the gaps.

U.S. Football players could easy play wing, lock, 2nd row. They aren't afraid of contact. And it would open up the way to expand our game to one of the biggest markets on earth for TV, etc.

Just a thought...:)