What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hayne effect.

Pig Champion

Juniors
Just wondering if any RL people over in the US think Jarryd Hayne's Rugby League background will have any positive effect on RL development over there.

Evil Homer

Staff member
No.

Put it this way, if a Canadian lacrosse player came over to the NRL and managed to get a depth role at a lower-ranked team, would you suddenly start following lacrosse?

Americans don't know what RL is. If Hanye succeeds then it might at least give the sport a little more name value/recognition just from his background being mentioned, but American commentators just call it 'rugby' anyway so it doesn't really make any difference. The benefits are negligible and TBH are probably far less than if Hanye had actually remained in RL.

babyg

Juniors
No.

Put it this way, if a Canadian lacrosse player came over to the NRL and managed to get a depth role at a lower-ranked team, would you suddenly start following lacrosse?

Americans don't know what RL is. If Hanye succeeds then it might at least give the sport a little more name value/recognition just from his background being mentioned, but American commentators just call it 'rugby' anyway so it doesn't really make any difference. The benefits are negligible and TBH are probably far less than if Hanye had actually remained in RL.

I think it could. Reading the comments online they genuinely seem to respect the game. The seasons don't overlap and they have nothing to watch in the offseason.

It's more closer to Super League in the UK. If they were on at a reasonable time during summer a few would watch.

rob749

Juniors
Just wondering if any RL people over in the US think Jarryd Hayne's Rugby League background will have any positive effect on RL development over there.

I'm not in the US, but I think there is a small potential. The main issue against it being geography. He plays for a West Coast team, so the fanbase will have no way to go and investigate a live game. They may watch some YouTube clips but I don't think it will go any further than that. As for the East coast RL heartlands they're not going to give a shit about any player not on their team. The only people who will care will be the ones already associated with rugby league.

In saying that, there is a remote possibility of an amateur comp starting in California, but it's highly unlikely. IMO The best case scenario is there may be few groups of guys who pass a ball around on Saturdays at family picnics...

I'm not sure if Hayne is even aware of the USARL's existence, but if he is it's been a good idea to distance himself from it and focus on NFL.

babyg

Juniors
I'm not in the US, but I think there is a small potential. The main issue against it being geography. He plays for a West Coast team, so the fanbase will have no way to go and investigate a live game. They may watch some YouTube clips but I don't think it will go any further than that. As for the East coast RL heartlands they're not going to give a shit about any player not on their team. The only people who will care will be the ones already associated with rugby league.

In saying that, there is a remote possibility of an amateur comp starting in California, but it's highly unlikely. IMO The best case scenario is there may be few groups of guys who pass a ball around on Saturdays at family picnics...

I'm not sure if Hayne is even aware of the USARL's existence, but if he is it's been a good idea to distance himself from it and focus on NFL.

Hayne's best mate was captain of the usarl team. Pretty sure he's aware.

A good start would be getting league games on the box. Still remember when Spiketv did the finals a years back. Was pretty cool

siv

First Grade
The effect I am seeing is a huge growth if NFL awareness in Australia and kids kicking NFL balls here in Australia

Evil Homer

Staff member
I think it could. Reading the comments online they genuinely seem to respect the game. The seasons don't overlap and they have nothing to watch in the offseason.

It's more closer to Super League in the UK. If they were on at a reasonable time during summer a few would watch.
Did you read what I posted? Are you going to start tuning into lacrosse on a regular basis if some Canadian player makes the Titans' 25-man roster next year? Even that isn't a good comparison because NFL is massively bigger in scale than the NRL, they have 32 teams each with an active roster of 50+ players and a practice squad of maybe a dozen more. One guy who used to play a different sport that nobody has heard of is a drop in the f**king ocean, and even if he became a megastar it doesn't have anything to do with RL, he isn't playing RL, it's just a minor curiosity that he used to play a different sport.

If the NFL realize what RL is, understand that it's different from RU and that it's absolutely perfect TV material for a filler comp during their off-season, then we're talking. (and no, I'm not talking about them screening the NRL because nobody in the USA wants to watch Australian sport). One or two Americans maybe possibly Googling RL because they heard some guy from some bum team used to play the sport doesn't mean shit, it's negligible especially when compared with the negatives for the sport, that being that NFL now has way more visibility and we're losing another top player.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
The effect I am seeing is a huge growth if NFL awareness in Australia and kids kicking NFL balls here in Australia

I'm actually of the opinion that this might have somewhat of a negative effect on the NRL. A lot of League fans will now start following the NFL and potentially grow to embrace it and potentially have it as there number one sport.

Luckily the seasons don't really overlap so they can follow both. But people who think that this will make Americans start following RL are smoking it big time.

We need to embrace this for what it is, which is a remarkable achievement by an individual who has followed a dream and even though 99% of people thought he was no chance and a crazy merkin for even trying he has managed to accomplish it.

rob749

Juniors
Did you read what I posted? Are you going to start tuning into lacrosse on a regular basis if some Canadian player makes the Titans' 25-man roster next year? Even that isn't a good comparison because NFL is massively bigger in scale than the NRL, they have 32 teams each with an active roster of 50+ players and a practice squad of maybe a dozen more. One guy who used to play a different sport that nobody has heard of is a drop in the f**king ocean, and even if he became a megastar it doesn't have anything to do with RL, he isn't playing RL, it's just a minor curiosity that he used to play a different sport.

If the NFL realize what RL is, understand that it's different from RU and that it's absolutely perfect TV material for a filler comp during their off-season, then we're talking. (and no, I'm not talking about them screening the NRL because nobody in the USA wants to watch Australian sport). One or two Americans maybe possibly Googling RL because they heard some guy from some bum team used to play the sport doesn't mean shit, it's negligible especially when compared with the negatives for the sport, that being that NFL now has way more visibility and we're losing another top player.

I agree with this. But I'd probably try and say it in a calmer tone :p

The other side of this coin is that because RL is such an unknown, those few google searches could at the very least turn into some mild interest. Your last paragraph is definitely best-case scenario, but a long shot. One would think the RLIF would see this as an opportunity and maybe help get some games on the box - funnily enough this is even less likely. The best bet is for the NFL to help Rugby League because every Rugby League organisation is absolutely useless.

rob749

Juniors
I'm actually of the opinion that this might have somewhat of a negative effect on the NRL. A lot of League fans will now start following the NFL and potentially grow to embrace it and potentially have it as there number one sport.

Luckily the seasons don't really overlap so they can follow both. But people who think that this will make Americans start following RL are smoking it big time.

We need to embrace this for what it is, which is a remarkable achievement by an individual who has followed a dream and even though 99% of people thought he was no chance and a crazy merkin for even trying he has managed to accomplish it.

We might end up seeing the game divided into quarters, and the sets divided into 4 tackles per half of the field.

Ryan Chidgey

Juniors
Usarl guys need to get intouch with phil Gould. He sounds interested in taking the panthers to the states. He has some money and a club to take the risk. No harm could be done.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I agree with this. But I'd probably try and say it in a calmer tone :p

The other side of this coin is that because RL is such an unknown, those few google searches could at the very least turn into some mild interest. Your last paragraph is definitely best-case scenario, but a long shot. One would think the RLIF would see this as an opportunity and maybe help get some games on the box - funnily enough this is even less likely. The best bet is for the NFL to help Rugby League because every Rugby League organisation is absolutely useless.
AFAIK both NRL and ESL are broadcast in the USA, it's just on a very minor, subscription-only channel which I believe mostly shows European soccer. Again, as things stand the chances of getting anything more substantial or accessible in terms of TV coverage are slim, since nobody wants to watch or invest in some little-known international sport with virtually zero profile, it's just not realistic.
Usarl guys need to get intouch with phil Gould. He sounds interested in taking the panthers to the states. He has some money and a club to take the risk. No harm could be done.
Why do you think anyone in the USA knows or cares who Penrith Panthers are?

Last edited:

babyg

Juniors

I know you're very proud of your lacrosse analogy but NRL and NFL are a lot closer games.

I'm happy to bet a few more than one or two guys are going to Google NRL. If only we can convert 1% of NFL fans. Just jokes. But the Exposure can only be a good thing.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I know you're very proud of your lacrosse analogy but NRL and NFL are a lot closer games.

I'm happy to bet a few more than one or two guys are going to Google NRL. If only we can convert 1% of NFL fans. Just jokes. But the Exposure can only be a good thing.
Nobody knows if it's a closer game or not because nobody has ever seen or heard of it. Nobody outside of Australia cares about the NRL, and barely anyone even knows it exists. I wish some of you Aussies would realize that. If a bunch of Americans Google the NRL, so what? RL is not currently accessible to them so it doesn't mean a thing. If we had a RL product available, in their faces for them to watch and become invested in then yeah, it could be a good thing. But we don't. And the American public are certainly not going to invest in the NRL any more than you are going to invest in lacrosse, or GAA or kabbadi or any other obscure foreign sport that you've never heard of, or hell, the NFL.

babyg

Juniors
Nobody knows if it's a closer game or not because nobody has ever seen or heard of it. Nobody outside of Australia cares about the NRL, and barely anyone even knows it exists. I wish some of you Aussies would realize that. If a bunch of Americans Google the NRL, so what? RL is not currently accessible to them so it doesn't mean a thing. If we had a RL product available, in their faces for them to watch and become invested in then yeah, it could be a good thing. But we don't. And the American public are certainly not going to invest in the NRL any more than you are going to invest in lacrosse, or GAA or kabbadi or any other obscure foreign sport that you've never heard of, or hell, the NFL.

Totally agree with you. I've been tweeting the NRL CEO to do this very thing. Make it accesable. Don't blow a golden opportunity with the exposure were getting right. NRL in the front page of NFL website. Commentators now calling it League and not just Rugby. The hype won't last long.

Ryan Chidgey

Juniors
AFAIK both NRL and ESL are broadcast in the USA, it's just on a very minor, subscription-only channel which I believe mostly shows European soccer. Again, as things stand the chances of getting anything more substantial or accessible in terms of TV coverage are slim, since nobody wants to watch or invest in some little-known international sport with virtually zero profile, it's just not realistic.
Why do you think anyone in the USA knows or cares who Penrith Panthers are?

Sorry did not realise you spoke for 320 million people how ignorant of me.

deluded pom?

Coach
The way I see it is negligible interest in RL from Americans generally but the chances of AF scouts taking a look at more RL players will be increased and an even higher awareness of AF in Australia. Only one sport is the winner and it's not RL.

roughyedspud

Coach
Need to be careful union don't piggy back off " the hayne plane" effect

Listening to triple m over night i heard a fox sports advert for the union world cup that used a yank announcer using NFL terms to describe rugby union....this is a very blatant reference to hayne & the 49ers in my opinion..

All america knows is hayne played rugby...and is a rugby star...americans,in general, don't know theres 2 coded..and the union mob know it

Pig Champion

Juniors
Thanks for the responses. Um, any Americans? I knew the usual pommy whingers would bleat. Crushed by years of soccer domination.

rob749

Juniors

Most "die hard" NRL fans don't even realise no one gives a shit about it outside NSW and Queensland. Until less than a quarter of the top-tier teams are based in Sydney, anyone who thinks it's a national sport let alone an international one has their head up their arse.

Latest posts