What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2016

PhilGould

Bench
Tapine has played some centre and looked quite good as well. The other option (assuming we don't sign a new centre) is Josh Birch who'll be part of the fulltime squad for the first time. Personally I would stay with Mamo at fullback and Gagai & Sione in the centres.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Rochow could have played the last 2 weeks but they thought it was smarter not to risk him for non-event games...

And Tariq Sims will miss the opening 5 (not 4) rounds of 2016, with an early guilty plea for a grade two shoulder charge and prior offences...although watching the incident the inconsistency with how the MRC decide and then grade shoulder charges nowadays seems to be who you are and who you play for...not what you actually do - it is still dumb play though when you don't use your arms

Didn't Rochow have surgery on a disk problem in his back? I'd rather him have another 6 months to make sure it's back close to 100% rather than risking him having a chronic injury.

I'd be stoked if Farah came here. A change of scenery could only improve his game, plus if it's 2 years, then it would give us a good chance to get Levi firing for when Farah leaves. The team definitely needs a leader now Gidley and Scott have gone and Farah would fit that role nicely.

Joel-22

Juniors
I have no problem with Mamo at fullback. I think he could potentially be a great fullback.
I'm just not confident in Gags defensive capabilities at centre. Browny needs to sit him down at the start of the year and have a chat. If Gagai didn't improve in attack but merely worked hard on his defence, he'd be an origin mainstay. I'd like Browny to sit him down and give him the plain simple truth: Do you want to be an 5-6 year Origin rep? Or are you happy barely doing enough in D to hold your position in FG. It's really that simple

Brown has a lot of talks coming up and I doubt many players will like what he has to say. He told the board the current side are no chance of top 8 footy cos they just do not have it. The juniors are his priority as he sees them as our main hope. That sort of honesty could have meant he was told thanks for applying, yet it was exactly what they wanted to hear. He has asked for full support in seeking a roster overhaul. I still have doubts about Gidley and Hagan copping Browny due to his honesty. He is not going to mince words.

I feel Brown wants quality senior players to be the foundations for the kids he will bring through. He won't cop journeymen who are overpaid.

Last edited:

ryana87

Juniors
Brown has a lot of talks coming up and I doubt many players will like what he has to say. He told the board the current side are no chance of top 8 footy cos they just do not have it. The juniors are his priority as he sees them as our main hope. That sort of honesty could have meant he was told thanks for applying, yet it was exactly what they wanted to hear. He has asked for full support in seeking a roster overhaul. I still have doubts about Gidley and Hagan copping Browny due to his honesty. He is not going to mince words.

I feel Brown wants quality senior players to be the foundations for the kids he will bring through. He won't cop journeymen who are overpaid.

Appreciate the info.... Just curious how you know all this?

1qaz

Juniors
I have no problem with Mamo at fullback. I think he could potentially be a great fullback.
I'm just not confident in Gags defensive capabilities at centre. Browny needs to sit him down at the start of the year and have a chat. If Gagai didn't improve in attack but merely worked hard on his defence, he'd be an origin mainstay. I'd like Browny to sit him down and give him the plain simple truth: Do you want to be an 5-6 year Origin rep? Or are you happy barely doing enough in D to hold your position in FG. It's really that simple

Mamo potentially a great fullback? I just don't see it.
He's a winger playing a spine position.
He needs more than some pace and enthusiasm.

Joel-22

Juniors
Mamo potentially a great fullback? I just don't see it.
He needs more than some pace and enthusiasm.

I think he has good pace off the mark BUT was disapointed with his speed twice in the bulldogs game. Cook burnt him for his try as did Rona for his and as did Ty and Gags in the process of the Rona try.
Anyway, he's at least quick over a short distance and from all accounts he's a very dedicated guy. He's shown already that he possesses some ball-playing ability. I'm no where near prepared to write-off him off as a fullback just yet.

1qaz

Juniors
I think he has good pace off the mark BUT was disapointed with his speed twice in the bulldogs game. Cook burnt him for his try as did Rona for his and as did Ty and Gags in the process of the Rona try.
Anyway, he's at least quick over a short distance and from all accounts he's a very dedicated guy. He's shown already that he possesses some ball-playing ability. I'm no where near prepared to write-off him off as a fullback just yet.

Mamo is quick enough. I wasn't questioning his speed.
I'm just saying all he has really shown in first grade is some pace and enthusiasm.

harrywilliams

Juniors
He was the best fullback in the NYC last year and is the best fullback in NSW Cup when he's playing. He has stated many times that he's working hard on his ball playing and we've seen plenty of glimpses of that. He just needs some more size and he'll bust through the line more. He makes nearly 200 metres most games, tackle busting machine, he's brilliant at support play, he's fast and zippy as they come and he can sniff out a try or 20, I don't think there's another Knights player that can play in 5th gear for 80 minutes like Jake does, only Gids beat him in fitness testing. A full pre season working hard on his ball playing, defence and hitting the gym, another year older and I really believe he'll be a quality fullback for us and will keep getting better. He's one guy you can trust will give it his absolute all to become the best player he can be.

PhilGould

Bench
Just like Gagai would be a centre playing a spine position. We don't have a genuine fullback at the moment. We have Mamo, Gagai and Sione. All of them have the ability to be a good fullback if given the time to develop. Mamo is the logical choice at the moment IMO because we don't have depth in the centres. We need Gagai & Sione there.

1qaz

Juniors
Dane is a genuine fullback. Grew up playing 1 and 6.

At the end of the day you pick your best 1, 6, 7, 9 and worry about who's playing centre after you pick your strongest spine.

PhilGould

Bench
Dane is a genuine fullback. Grew up playing 1 and 6.

At the end of the day you pick your best 1, 6, 7, 9 and worry about who's playing centre after you pick your strongest spine.
Plenty of players grow up playing one position and end up playing another when they're in first grade. Dane isn't a genuine fullback. Not yet, at least. For someone who apparently grew up playing fullback and 5/8 his ballplaying is terrible.

1qaz

Juniors
Plenty of players grow up playing one position and end up playing another when they're in first grade. Dane isn't a genuine fullback. Not yet, at least. For someone who apparently grew up playing fullback and 5/8 his ballplaying is terrible.

Terrible? Not sure if serious...

Joel-22

Juniors
Mamo is quick enough. I wasn't questioning his speed.
I'm just saying all he has really shown in first grade is some pace and enthusiasm.

sorry mate, re-read my post and it seems like I was sort of implying you were questioning his speed. What I meant by my post is that I myself post-bulldogs game am questioning his speed.

Appreciate the info.... Just curious how you know all this?

An old friend close to the club. He is a reliable source cos he is related to a board member. He occasionally gives me info but never oversteps the mark. Tis all. I don't get much out of him TBH but I rarely ask.

Spot On

Coach
If we had a decent centre to replace Gagai he'd be put straight to fullback to get him out of the line. f**kin dead set liability every time the ball heads his way.

Don't expect him to put his body on the line as a fullback either. There won't be any miraculous try saves unless he has a heart transplant in the.off season or hardens up a bit under Brown.

1qaz

Juniors
If we had a decent centre to replace Gagai he'd be put straight to fullback to get him out of the line. f**kin dead set liability every time the ball heads his way.

Don't expect him to put his body on the line as a fullback either. There won't be any miraculous try saves unless he has a heart transplant in the.off season or hardens up a bit under Brown.

Dane's bad defense is more to do with technique than a lack of "heart".
Not sure what you have been watching if you think he doesn't put his body on the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWL_ixhM8Q0

One handed pickup head first not putting his body on the line enough for you?

Spot On

Coach
No.

And I've been watching the same inept defensive performances as everyone else.

You on the other hand don't watch Newy games so you can not comment.

An NRL player on 575K should understand technique when tackling, if not he needs to spend time in NSW Cup. It's mainly a lack of heart and smarts.

Piss off now until you can man up and admit you are full of shit and explain why you have consistently lied in this forum.

Last edited:

cb4

First Grade
Is McManus a shot at centre for you guys?

I think Gagai is a better fullback than centre. And Mamo is a winger. I think you guys have a very good squad, Hodkinson will help and if you get Farah you become better.

I also think Browny is the guy to get the most out of the squad as well. I know you guys don't rate Gagai's defense and all, but I am wondering why Uate gets a free ride? He has been atrocious for 2 years now.

Spot On

Coach
I've been critical of Uate for 3 years now. And it's not just his defence that is attrocious. I doubt Brown can work a miracle with him so he should be a NSW Cup winger next season - if he is lucky.