What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

slotmachine

First Grade
Randall can play in the halves, centres, back row, hooker. He's the perfect utility.

Fitting that the next cameron smith will be learning from the actual cameron smith.

Randall can play in the halves, centres, back row, hooker. He's the perfect utility.

Fitting that the next cameron smith will be learning from the actual cameron smith.

Yeah he would make a decent utility. But I just prefer a 4 forward bench. Just my opinion, that's all.

He could play in the back row but he wouldn't be in he forward rotation unless he had too. What I meant was if I had to have a utility it would be a forward who would normally be in the forward rotation but could also jump into a couple other spots if he had too. Like matt hilder.

The goal should be to have Levi play 80 minutes.

Johns Magic

Referee
Just read the Toohey article.

Sounds like Clydesdale is on "good coin" for next year and his manager knows he has the Knights by the balls. We may still have to foot a decent chunk of his contract for next year. He has the chance to go learn from Cam Smith for peanuts and us top him off instead of taking a contract elsewhere that would get us off the hook.

Last edited:
Just read the Toohey article.

Sounds like Clydesdale is on "good coin" for next year and his manager knows he has the Knights by the balls. We may still have to foot a decent chunk of his contract for next year.

This is just typical Knights mismanagement. How Clydesdale is on 'good coin' is beyond me. Unproven at NRL level he should be on a salary that reflects this.

It's refreshing to see brown moving guys on like this.

Spot On

Coach

This.

Another example of a much touted Newy jnr that hasn't evolved/developed in our system so..... we are shipping him off.

He'll start carving up of the next few years and we will try to buy him back.

Ground hog day.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
Let me guess this right- Clydsdale signs a three-year contract extension back in 2013, the week before he makes his first grade debut, and somehow in 2016 he is on "good coin"? And this was all during Bennett's watch? :crazy::crazy:

I'm just getting my dates from this herald article, but if that is the case I'm absolutely amazed how he could be on anything over $100,000.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1499357/adam-clydsdale-back-to-the-day-job/

perverse

Referee
100k would be absurdly cheap, but he shouldn't be on much more than 200k. Huge mismanagement of the cap if he's on any sort of decent coin. I'm not his biggest detractor, but I'm not too upset to see Clydsdale gone. Levi is obviously the future. Randell is a bit of a plodder, but will do a job.

Won't surprise me if Clydsdale kicks on elsewhere, though.

slotmachine

First Grade
This.

Another example of a much touted Newy jnr that hasn't evolved/developed in our system so..... we are shipping him off.

He'll start carving up of the next few years and we will try to buy him back.

Ground hog day.

I think you missed the sarcasm. Smith achieved more before his 21st birthday that Clydesdale the plodder ever will.

Manly were "interested" so he got a good deal, $250k+. You start to wonder if other clubs show "interest" because they know we will overpay for scrubs and ruin our cap.

Spot On

Coach
I think you missed the sarcasm. Smith achieved more before his 21st birthday that Clydesdale the plodder ever will.

Manly were "interested" so he got a good deal, $250k+. You start to wonder if other clubs show "interest" because they know we will overpay for scrubs and ruin our cap.

No, got it. Was also commenting that we have a habit of wanting players back after they develop into first grade standard at another club. Mail around we wanted Will Smith back after we were beaten by Penrith. List goes on.

Swarzey

Bench
Randell in first grade next year? Kill me now. Absolute dud.

Much rather ship him off and keep the next Cameron Smith. c:

slotmachine

First Grade
lol will smith. plays one good game against the worst knights side ever and he's suddenly not hopeless?
hasn't be too many that have come back to bite us really. greg bird, willie. maybe cordner, in time

shipping off randall doesn't save you any money though cause he's on a pie and coke deal. starting either randall or clydesdale means we have the worst hooker in the comp, may as well punt the one on more money while levi gets up to speed.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm not sure about anyone else but I actually think Randell has shown just as much as Clydsdale, Clydsdale is just so damn passive, Randell has flaws but atleast he has more of a dig

Swarzey

Bench
Who else are we going to sign for 2016 that's going to cost a fortune? Nobody. Cap wise, one more year isn't going to do any harm. Performance wise we got much more out of Clydsdale than Randell, especially in defence where I felt we leaked more points in the middle with him off the field throughout the year. I also doubt we have Randell on a pie and coke deal; this is Newcastle we're talking about, a club that paid Tyrone Roberts 400k a year.

slotmachine

First Grade
clydesdale has done precisely nothing in 40 first grade games. he was well on the way to having a tyrone roberts career in newcastle, without the 1 good game in 20.

i like brown already. it's going to be great watching him sack another few.

brown is looking at english props. randall + new prop > scrub clydesdale

PhilGould

Bench
Any good English props that are off-contract? Alex Walmsley from St. Helens looks like a beast but I know he's still got a few years to go on his deal

Walmsley is machine. He is a massive unit and is the best yardage runner in the ESL by some margin. Huge motor as well. If we sign him we are getting a very talented lad. Sadly he is on a massive deal at st helens who signed him for four years. English clubs are very astute at identifying their top talents and keeping them.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
I don't rate Clydesdale all that much but my God I hope Randall isn't our first choice hooker. Absolute dud. At least Clydesdale can tackle.

I hope this means Brown thinks Levi is ready or we have another hooker signing lined up.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Why would Randall be our 1st choice hooker when we have Levi? He is killing it in NSW Cup

Its having Randall as our back up that is concerning. What we need is a passable quality hooker in NSW Cup that we can call on if Levi is injured

perverse

Referee
Yeah, to be honest Levi already looks ready. If he can work on his D and bulk up a bit more in the off season, I can easily see him starting next year. Randell on the bench.

I think the lure of Bellamy coaching him to be better will be a offer too big for Clydesdale to knock back and he will be learning from arguably the greatest ever dummy half in history. Sounds like Bellamy is going to have him succeed Smith. the bottom line is you cannot afford to have three dummy halves taking up a forward or backs spot on the roster.

Latest posts