What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF Launches new Strategic Plan

adamkungl

Immortal
http://www.rlif.com/rugby-league-international-news/article/1599/rlif-launches-new-strategic-plan
The Annual Congress and AGM of the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) was held in Paris from 4 November to 5 November with 30 countries and confederations of the 67 nations now playing Rugby League represented.

The members received a presentation of the new RLIF strategic plan for 2018 – 2025 from the RLIF Chief Executive David Collier which the RLIF Board had approved on 22 September 2015. The plan details that RLIF will stage four multi national events in the the next 8 year cycle, a Calendar of Events was agreed which demonstrates the priority periods for domestic competitions and bi-lateral Test matches . The RLIF will provide resource to enhance the development of officials and consistency of the Laws of the game.

There will be a greater focus of resource on targeted nations for development and performance related incentives rather than standard grants for each nation.

The RLIF Chairman Nigel Wood commented:

'It is imperative for our sport that we achieve greater global coverage through high quality international events. These events also provide the investment for our development programmes and the publication of the strategic plan along with appointment of David Collier as Chief Executive is a great step forward for the game.

'We also received a high quality presentation from Michael Brown , the CEO of the Rugby League World Cup 2017, which promises to further build on the success of the 2013 World Cup.

'The delegates were enthused by the progress which the RLIF has made in a short space of time and we look forward to the forthcoming tenders for our world events for the next cycle.

With the two Grand Finals in Australia and England providing two of the best Finals ever staged 2015 has been an historic year for the sport and we enter 2016 with great confidence'

During the Congress the RLIF Board approved amendments to the eligibility rules which address the issues created when new states are created and learned of the successful competitions staged in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Americas and the Pacific Nations.

The draw was held for the Rugby League World Cup 2017 European Qualifier which will see the final three teams qualify for the 2017 World Cup. The RLIF Chief Executive also reported on the support which the International Federation is providing to members to achieve full recognition by National Olympic Committees and National Sports Agencies and debated the expansion of Nines.

Interesting parts bolded.

Need details on all of this stuff, wonder when they will talk more about it

roughyedspud

Coach
4 multi national events = 2019 fed cup,2021 RLWC,2023 fed cup & 2025 RLWC..

and bi lateral test matches??? Is that just a fancy way of saying two teams will play a series??

RoosTah

Juniors
The Four Nations is done after 2016.

Interesting. I personally won't be too unhappy to see it go as I feel like having the three title contenders competing for a minor tournament devalues the World Cup.

I hope we go back to having annual 3 test series against one major opponent. If Australia, NZ and England all played one 3 test series against one other opponent each year it would result in each getting an automatic year off every couple years.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Interesting. I personally won't be too unhappy to see it go as I feel like having the three title contenders competing for a minor tournament devalues the World Cup.

I hope we go back to having annual 3 test series against one major opponent. If Australia, NZ and England all played one 3 test series against one other opponent each year it would result in each getting an automatic year off every couple years.
That definitely will not be happening either. Read the press release.

roughyedspud

Coach
Whats a Fed Cup? I was assuming 4N in between world cups

The 4 nation is owned by the RFL,ARLC & NZRL...nothing at all to do with the RLIF...

The RLIF have negotiated a deal that will see the 4 nations end and the RLIF will start its own comp..in return tours will be brought back for the big 3 to earn money in liu of not making money from the 4 nations anymore

Sinman

Juniors
I like the 3 test series thing... really enjoying the fact NZ has another crack at ENG strait away.. I think though 2 or 3 warm up but full internationals against other nations is really important.. Within that why wouldn't one of the big 3 have a 3 test series against Samoa or Samoa have a 2 test home and away series against Tonga.. We can focus on the big 3 but really international development is about the teams outside the top 3 getting regular test matches so players can commit to those countries and not feel like they are missing out. I also think developing international 9's is really important.. it's the avenue that can fast track international development!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Sounds good.

Talk of more international events and the expansion of the Nines could mean a dedicated 9's WC or even RLIF backed tournaments? That'd be great to see.

adamkungl

Immortal
How do we think the Fed Cup will be formatted?

Will it be a 4N in all but name? a 6N? or a Mini-world cup of sorts?

I'd be pro-4N format continuing as a tournament between WCs. 1 Northern 1 Southern with the top ranked Euro or top ranked Pacific nations invited to compete with the top 3.

Evil Homer

Staff member
How do we think the Fed Cup will be formatted?

Will it be a 4N in all but name? a 6N? or a Mini-world cup of sorts?

I'd be pro-4N format continuing as a tournament between WCs. 1 Northern 1 Southern with the top ranked Euro or top ranked Pacific nations invited to compete with the top 3.
It will most likely be 8 nations. NZ, England, Australia, 2 European qualifiers, 2 Pacific qualifiers and a 'world' qualifier (USA/Canada/Lebanon/South Africa etc).

mikeob

Juniors
It will most likely be 8 nations. NZ, England, Australia, 2 European qualifiers, 2 Pacific qualifiers and a 'world' qualifier (USA/Canada/Lebanon/South Africa etc).

I read earlier this year that one of Shane Richardsons proposals was to be an 8 nation competition once every four years.

adamkungl

Immortal

Sounds good. In this case presumably 2 evenly seeded pools of 4 followed by finals. 5 or 6 week comp. Would be great tbh.

roughyedspud

Coach
It would only be a 4 week comp...assuming the winner winners of each group advance to the final....or 5 weeks if they do the top 2 from each group play semi finals then a final...

Actually id prefer a 5 week comp

Last Week

Bench
I would love to see this actual presentation.

The exact details of this Federation cup would be interesting (teams, hosting, qualifying, finals, etc etc).

And when would World Cup qualifying take place?!! And the Euro's.

I assume that seeing as David Collier comes from a cricket background and he gave the presentation, I think it's safe to assume that "bilateral" test matches means home and away series'. I dare say this will see the return of the Ashes series, but I'm at a loss as to what this would mean for the third top tier nation. Obvious answer is play other nations, but is that likely? I struggle to see it happening, especially Australia. I just don't see that happening.

I'd rather just see southern hemisphere nations tour the north on these test years and then vice versa.

2017 - WC in Australia, NZ and PNG

2018 - Tests
2019 - Federation Cup
2020 - Tests
2021 - WC northern hemisphere

2022 - Tests
2023 - Federation Cup
2024 - Tests
2025 - WC southern hemisphere

adamkungl

Immortal
It would only be a 4 week comp...assuming the winner winners of each group advance to the final....or 5 weeks if they do the top 2 from each group play semi finals then a final...

Actually id prefer a 5 week comp

Yeah i was thinking top 2 from each play semis (otherwise the big 3 wouldnt all play each other) for 5 weeks. Could add in a cross-pool game (would add a round of tighter games in return for stretching out an extra week) for 6 weeks.

example comp:

Pool A
NZ
Eng
Fra
Italy

Pool B
Aus
PNG
Samoa
Canada

Rounds 1-3 pool matches
(optional) round 4
NZ v Aus
Eng v PNG
Fra v Samoa
Italy v Canda

Semi finals
NZ v PNG
Aus v Eng

Final
Eng v PNG :sarcasm:

Would be awesome. (I might have a slight addiction to messing around with comp formats :lol: )

Evil Homer

Staff member
^ A 6-week tournament would be pretty ludicrous considering the actual World Cup doesn't last that long. 4 weeks would be best IMO.
And when would World Cup qualifying take place?!! And the Euro's.
In the 'tests' years. Euros/Pacific Cup would serve as qualifying tournaments for the FC.

adamkungl

Immortal
^ A 6-week tournament would be pretty ludicrous considering the actual World Cup doesn't last that long. 4 weeks would be best IMO.In the 'tests' years. Euros/Pacific Cup would serve as qualifying tournaments for the FC.

The World Cup was 6 rounds played over 5 weeks/6weekends.

5 rounds over 4 weeks then, 3 round robin games with a top 4 finals.

roughyedspud

Coach
I read earlier this year that one of Shane Richardsons proposals was to be an 8 nation competition once every four years.

Gonna nip that in the bud straightaway...talk of a comp to replace thr four nations started long before shane richardson even took up his current role at the NRL...

Latest posts