What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess not in Sonny's class.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Has great leadership too.

Top post mate.

English Rose, Roosters supporters imo need to put their hatred for Souths outside here and think logically instead of avoiding truth.

Please explain how tommy has avoided the truth when he clearly stated how good he thinks Sam is.

Sam and sonny are both brilliant in their own way, anyone who think SBW just injects himself for 20 mins here and there needs to go back and watch the work he did for us when JWH was suspended in 2013.

Both have strengths that the other doesn't. Sam will never be able to throw a ball like sonny did to RTS in 2013 against the dogs and parra, or the one handed offloads to Maloney in the GF and Pearce on Anzac Day in 2013. SBW won't ever be the battering ram dominant beast Sam was in 2014. Like tommy said just enjoy the fact we have watched and get to watch 2 brilliant forwards play our game.

Brutus

Referee
Burgess better at league and would have been better at union had he stayed around for a few more years.

BranVan3000

Coach
On what basis is Burgess better at League?

SBW has been a freak at league since the age of 18. I mean he utterly dominated an NRL finals series at 18. Belting quality Penrith and Roosters sides in a Prelim and GF. At 18! And then after a few years away he returns and utterly dominates in another era, leading the Roosters to a Premiership as our best player. It's the best single season I've ever seen from a Roosters player. He was ridiculous.

But alas this is a silly debate. Rabbitoh fans seemingly can't wait to say "but but Sam is better!' rather than admiring the once in a generation talents of both.

I think both deserve comparison because they are both the first and second best forwards in the code. And I think they both established a rivalry recognising that, some of their 1 on 1 contests were immense. You rarely see two players lining each other up for a challenge and searching each other out on the field the way they did.

I think by the time they left they both walked away at about even. SBW got over Sam in 2013 and Sam got over SBW in 2014. I hope SBW comes back because the crown still needs to be decided

TheDalek079

Bench
I'll always remember the 2013 battle for the minor premiership. SammyB was put into a big hole, only the fullback to beat. A simple draw and pass and Souffs score and take the lead. He goes himself and gets tackled by Minichiello. In that same half, he's in another position where if he passes souffs score, but again he goes himself and gets bundled into touch. In contrast, Sonny Bill Williams makes a superb break, runs downfield, draws in GI and passes to Mitch Pearce to score the matchwinner

Tommy Smith

Referee
More hit ups, more tackles, more metres made and has a more overall impact in a game. He doesn't just inject himself for a 20 minute period like SBW does, he plays for the full 80!
Worst argument ever.

Danny Nutley used to make more hit ups and tackles than most. Was he better than SBW? Burgess plays 80min in the middle so of course he has bigger numbers. What a novice argument. Besides, SBW isn't Tony Williams. He'd still average over 100m and 20+ tackles.

As for injecting himself for 20 minutes, that's just bad trolling. Back under your bridge.

As Branvan said, SBW had it over Sam in 2013. And Sam over Sonny in 2014. They were both the best in the game for those years. It's even. The only difference is that people have short memories as usual.

POPEYE

Coach
Burgess is better because he's back . . . if League is the greatest game of all Sonny right now is as useful as tits on a bull

adamkungl

Immortal
People who think SBW has a low workrate have nfi.

He gets bagged for having a quiet game when he doesn't throw 3 flick passes for tries and only racks up 120m

More hit ups, more tackles, more metres made and has a more overall impact in a game. He doesn't just inject himself for a 20 minute period like SBW does, he plays for the full 80!

Then on your basis just about every back currently in the NRL must be crap as they have less hits ups, make less tackles than your average forward. Also many of them sit back and are not involved in every play.

You are also then saying that high work rate forwards are better than guys like Jonathan Thurston and Greg Inglis. Nice logic that :crazy: :lol:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Lets cut to the chase here...most could win a WC sitting on the bench for the All Blacks...they win practically every test they play! Yes it is hard to get in the squad, but SBW didn't do a lot in the WC (did his role yes).

Burgess was never going to do well at union anyway. Too slow to be a centre, and not big enough to be a forward. I mean the forwards are well over 100kg...

Lets cut to the chase here...most could win a WC sitting on the bench for the All Blacks...they win practically every test they play! Yes it is hard to get in the squad, but SBW didn't do a lot in the WC (did his role yes).

Burgess was never going to do well at union anyway. Too slow to be a centre, and not big enough to be a forward. I mean the forwards are well over 100kg...
SBW came on and just killed it, definition of an impact player.

DiegoNT

First Grade
People who think SBW has a low workrate have nfi.

He gets bagged for having a quiet game when he doesn't throw 3 flick passes for tries and only racks up 120m

Very similar to when people run down greg inglis. Unless he's scored a hat trick or running over blokes for length of the field tries, his suddenly having a shit game and os over the hill

Valheru

Coach
I love how it is everyone’s fault but Sam’s that he failed at union. He probably could have been a really good union player but the pea heart gave up when it was apparent he would have to work hard to improve his game.

As for rugby league, Sam is a great player, no doubt about it although he has got one of the worst cases of butter fingers I have ever seen. The difference between SBW and Sam is that can turn a game in the middle or set the platform for the win but he still needs the others around him to help complete the job. SBW on the other hand can single headedly produce plays that turn a game on its head and multiple times he has won a game on his own back.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
They are the outstanding forwards of their generation. Thankfully Burgess is back in RL where he belongs.

BTW I don't think it was the hard work that worried Burgess. He went to RU to be a star and play internationals in packed stadiums. Post the WC he was going to have to be satisfied with club rugby for a year or so as he learned his trade in the forwards and with his backers in the England coaching setup gone. That would mean playing club rugby only, which is not why he went to RU.

Very similar to when people run down greg inglis. Unless he's scored a hat trick or running over blokes for length of the field tries, his suddenly having a shit game and os over the hill
Not really, the difference is that in between the moments of brilliance SBW is still doing the hard yards whilst Inglis is bludging at the back.

Fast Eddie

First Grade

Of the two players in their Rugby League primes, I'd take SBW any day of the week

Brutus

Referee
I love how it is everyone?s fault but Sam?s that he failed at union. He probably could have been a really good union player but the pea heart gave up when it was apparent he would have to work hard to improve his game.

As for rugby league, Sam is a great player, no doubt about it although he has got one of the worst cases of butter fingers I have ever seen. The difference between SBW and Sam is that can turn a game in the middle or set the platform for the win but he still needs the others around him to help complete the job. SBW on the other hand can single headedly produce plays that turn a game on its head and multiple times he has won a game on his own back.

Sam didn't fail in union.

He played 5 tests for his country in his first year.

No failure.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Lets see these two dopes try and carry Dan Mortimer,Jeff Robson,Joel Reddy and a whole team of scrubs to the GF and carry Trent Hodgo and Joel Reynolds to SOO glory,yeah didn't think so

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Parramatta wouldn't have won 1 game in the past 5 years if either of these two plodders played for them in place of Hayne

Delete this thread please,these two plodders are a joke.