What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euan and Pete feel the love

Wittenberg

Juniors
Gee wouldn't you want to be these two, already Mann pushing for a place in the backline, now Lafai and we, apparently, are still after another big name back. If I was either I would be shopping myself around. We appear, as a club, so keen to elbow aside a young local product who made the step up to first grade, succeeded, and represents to other young players in our ranks what they should aspire to.b As for Pete M his ability to cover fullback, wing and centre last year proved invaluable and he turned his back on Newcastle, who are now trying to grab him again. I know people will say that is just how it is these days, fine, but don't expect players to stay loyal to our club. We don't need another outside back, chasing one will cost us.

Old Timer

Coach
Gee wouldn't you want to be these two, already Mann pushing for a place in the backline, now Lafai and we, apparently, are still after another big name back. If I was either I would be shopping myself around. We appear, as a club, so keen to elbow aside a young local product who made the step up to first grade, succeeded, and represents to other young players in our ranks what they should aspire to.b As for Pete M his ability to cover fullback, wing and centre last year proved invaluable and he turned his back on Newcastle, who are now trying to grab him again. I know people will say that is just how it is these days, fine, but don't expect players to stay loyal to our club. We don't need another outside back, chasing one will cost us.

Spot on Wittenberg and if we do want to get another back then put Lafai or Mann or FaiFai Loa straight back on the market.

matPORTS

Juniors
If as per todays SMH, if we are indeed still heavily chasing Roberts (and according to the article we are very much front and centre in the running for him), you would think that any deal for him will be back ended subject to us shedding players for 2017 i.e. Benji, Creagh and Thompson are the first that come to mind here.

Aitken could/will possibly be developed into a back rower in the same manner as Creagh, Scott, Thompson have done so throughout there careers. He very much has the potential to be that kind of player, with the ability to continue covering the centres. With both Creagh & Thompson most likely moving on after 2016, we will need to do something about the back row for 2017 and beyond. Excited about this prospect.

Peter M will still push for the vacant left wing spot this coming season. Mann, YKG, KFFL, Milne, Carr, Hutch, McCrone & even Quinlan provide us with some great back line depth.

1. Roberts
2. Peter M
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale

hazzbeen

Bench
If as per todays SMH, if we are indeed still heavily chasing Roberts (and according to the article we are very much front and centre in the running for him), you would think that any deal for him will be back ended subject to us shedding players for 2017 i.e. Benji, Creagh and Thompson are the first that come to mind here.

Aitken could/will possibly be developed into a back rower in the same manner as Creagh, Scott, Thompson have done so throughout there careers. He very much has the potential to be that kind of player, with the ability to continue covering the centres. With both Creagh & Thompson most likely moving on after 2016, we will need to do something about the back row for 2017 and beyond. Excited about this prospect.

Peter M will still push for the vacant left wing spot this coming season. Mann, YKG, KFFL, Milne, Carr, Hutch, McCrone & even Quinlan provide us with some great back line depth.

1. Roberts
2. Peter M
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale

We are looking much better than the season gone..... Roberts would really top it off...

matPORTS

Juniors
We are looking much better than the season gone..... Roberts would really top it off...

Indeed.

Also lets not forget... we still have rumours of Dugan wanting to try out with the NFL in the coming years. Also, Nightingale coming to the tail end of his career. The team we appear to be putting together now has one eye on the future also. I'm sure the likes of Aitken fit into those plans somewhere along the line.

watatank

Coach
Nothing wrong with a little competition, the only reason Mata'utia and Aitken got as much game time as they did was because there was none last season.

Mata'utia has been a fringe player his whole career, so not much has really changed. He will most likely start on the wing anyway because we don't have many wingers. If there's an opportunity at another club he should take it. Aitken is a young player, would be happy for him to start at centre but also not a bad thing either if he isn't first option so he doesn't burn out. He will still get game time if you allow for injuries and rep games.

saints4ever

First Grade
Indeed.

Also lets not forget... we still have rumours of Dugan wanting to try out with the NFL in the coming years. Also, Nightingale coming to the tail end of his career. The team we appear to be putting together now has one eye on the future also. I'm sure the likes of Aitken fit into those plans somewhere along the line.

I wouldn't believe too much in the papers re roberts. Every one says a different thing.
Nighty is almost at retirement age. I daresay this might be his last year. Creagh as well. Farrell might be before round 1.

Personally, I'd love to get Roberts, and would spend good coin to get him. But if hr doesn't come, we have improved our backs from last year anyway

bottle

Coach
Loyalty is a noble aspiration, but I'm more interested in winning Premierships than anything else.
If we can win one with a predominantly local squad that we've been loyal to, fantastic. But if loyalty means scraping into 8th position, maybe, possibly, if things fall our way, season after season, then I'll pass.
Secure the best possible roster and then bring it on. Would rather compete than just participate.

Wittenberg

Juniors
The death of loyalty.......oh well maybe I am an idealist and need to move on. I just have a feeling we don't quite have the roster, with or without Roberts, to go all the way this year, but I do think we can give it a shake. Having Euan thinking of the possibility of playing with the Cutters may bite us on the bum.

Rex Terp

First Grade
If we get James Roberts we are premiership potential in 16.
We are looking at a player who would challenge to be NSW fullback. We'd have the NSW right centre too.

As others have said, couldn't give a rats what signing James Roberts does to the sensibilities of others.

Twenty10

Juniors
It's about f**ken time!!! Why are people complaining? Mary has finally told the board "we need to win a comp, so let's get players who can do that now". f**k me... For far too long we have pissed around and hung on to players we shouldn't have. This is what I have been waiting for. Proper competition for spots. There's no sentiment in Mary's plans. That is what the club needs.

WHOOSHKAA!!

Juniors
It's about f**ken time!!! Why are people complaining? Mary has finally told the board "we need to win a comp, so let's get players who can do that now". f**k me... For far too long we have pissed around and hung on to players we shouldn't have. This is what I have been waiting for. Proper competition for spots. There's no sentiment in Mary's plans. That is what the club needs.

Agree Mary has a clear vision on the type of players he needs to carry out his style of football. There was clear evidence of this last season with his clear intention on our D.. And playing tough for the full 80...

What has really surprised is Marys ability to attract quality players to the club something Price was unable to do... With more size up front and better strike players points will definitely come...
Coach has got the club finally heading ing the right direction.
Hail Mary...

The Nick

Bench
I wouldn't believe too much in the papers re roberts. Every one says a different thing.
Nighty is almost at retirement age. I daresay this might be his last year. Creagh as well. Farrell might be before round 1.

Personally, I'd love to get Roberts, and would spend good coin to get him. But if hr doesn't come, we have improved our backs from last year anyway

WTF is "retirement age"? Who decides it? You?

St Georgio

Juniors
agree mary has a clear vision on the type of players he needs to carry out his style of football. There was clear evidence of this last season with his clear intention on our d.. And playing tough for the full 80...

What has really surprised is marys ability to attract quality players to the club something price was unable to do... With more size up front and better strike players points will definitely come...
Coach has got the club finally heading ing the right direction.
Hail mary...

spot on brother!

TruSaint

Referee
Im considerate to peoples noble emotion re loyalty, juniors, locals etc, ( and i am one of them as I do have emotional attachments to some of our great servants ), but is was barely 12 months ago, this forum ( not all posters here ), was in meltdown that we couldnt attract players.

Damned if you do...

We have been the most astute club this offseason in recruitment and have taken a team from possible top 8 to a top 4 contender.

In a billion dollar game, loyalty is the symbol of that title ring the payers wear. Bring on 2016.

Latest posts