What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall wants to extend playing career with Dragons

getsmarty

Immortal
Benji Marshall wants to extend playing career with Dragons but club could have different plans

December 22, 2015 10:04pm

Christian NicolussiThe Daily Telegraph

Benji Marshall wipeout at a Dragons surf session. Picture: Mark EvansIT WAS a case of going, going, gone for Benji Marshall on Tuesday as he wiped out during an impromptu Wollongong surf session with his St George Illawarra teammates.
But it could be a completely different scenario for Marshall when it comes to his future at the club beyond next season, with coach Paul McGregor admitting: “I enjoy coaching Benji Marshall.’’
Marshall has said he’s keen to play on for another three or four years.

Benji Marshall won’t be surfing for a world title anytime soon. Picture: Mark EvansBecause of Marshall’s popularity — he was one of the few players stopped for photos on the beach on Tuesday — Dragons fans are already wondering what might happen to their club pin-up.
McGregor said he had met with Marshall, with any potential new deal to be extended one year at a time.
“I’ve sat down with Benji and told him the situation we’re in at the present time,’’ McGregor said.
Must Read

story-fni0cx12-1227686230374

“I said there was a lot that could happen in 12 months with players coming off contract, or players who might look for an opportunity elsewhere.
“Is Benji in my plans? Benji is a player I enjoy coaching, and he’s a player I think who has more football in him in years to come. If things work out well, he’ll be at the club.
“In no way shape or form do I think Benji can’t perform at this level for a numerous amounts of years.

origin:video_integrator.tybTlseTo_zTiTJTcOC_JWy5LcXuwH2X

“But unfortunately at the moment I haven’t got the ability to give him what I think he’s worth.’’
Aged 30, Marshall was a real shining light in the Red V last season and finished joint runner-up in the Dally Ms behind Johnathan Thurston.
The club won’t stand in the way of Marshall if he finds a longer-term deal elsewhere. They’ve also got big raps on young half Drew Hutchison, and are mindful of not letting the Junior Kangaroos and NSW Origin under-20s captain spend too long waiting in the wings.
Marshall was given extra time off after ankle surgery, and impressed McGregor with the way he worked around the clock in the altitude room with new conditioner Tony Ayoub when he returned.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1227686230374

Old Timer

Coach
If Widdop's contract is extended the writing is well and truly on the wall for Benji as he can only get a year at time contract from us.

It will be a testing time for Benji as he may well get a substantial offer to go elsewhere so I wonder what names he will be called if that happens or whether the vent will be against the club for not offering him more to keep him.

Year to year is fine by me.

If he plays well he'll get another if not see yah later.

Its the right approach for the club especially if some one else pops up whoes younger and offers more of a future.

Old Timer

Coach
Year to year is fine by me.

If he plays well he'll get another if not see yah later.

Its the right approach for the club especially if some one else pops up whoes younger and offers more of a future.

I agree

I was just wondering how the Molotov cocktail would handle it

RED73V

Juniors
I agree

I was just wondering how the Molotov cocktail would handle it

Good point OT , he is going to be off his head & BUTT HURT BIG TIME if his boy Bunji doesn't get an extension :sto::sto:Thems the breaks though it's the nature of their current environment & we should of learnt from previous mistakes !! IMO We need someone else Benji is on the wrong side of thirty & will only become more of a liability the longer we hang onto him.
:thumb

Cagey Mac

Bench
Such is the depth at The Dragons in 2016 that no position is secure IMO
A very healthy place to be methinks
Whether aspirational with talent, seeking redemption or trying to rediscover the dream; Mary has put together a potentially formidable combination on a budget.
If he pulls it off, the 2016 Dragons will be the stuff of legend.
Really looking forward to the first whistle.

possm

Coach
I think Benji's destony is at 6. So the question is who will play at 7, will it be Widdop or will it be Mann?

I would like to see Widdop and Mann tested in the fullback position and the halfback position during the off-season and the pre-season trials. For me the ideal situation would be Widdop at fullback and Mann at halfback. I say this because in my opion, the combination of Benji at 7 and Widdop at 6 was not a success in 2015.

On reflection, a Hastings 7 and a Bird 6 was what our junior system prodduced for the Dragons; it seemed to be the logical long term solution. However, there was no long term thinking going on and both players were snapped up by other Clubs.

I really don't have a problem with the idea of Widdop at 6. My proplem is with Benji at 7 as I believe his natural position is at 6.

There have been rumblings with regards to Cronk's next contract. As usual the media have come out reporting some doubt an extension at the Storm. More likely it is just the usual ploy by his manager to extract the best possible deal however, with the big 3 approaching the final stage of their representative careers, maybe there is an opportunity to pickup Cronk.

What do members think about the prospect of a 2017 backline consisting of;

1. Mann/Dufty
2. Matta 'Utia/Milne
3. Dugan/Aitken
4. Lafai/Thompson
5. Nightingale/Carr
6. Widdop
7. Cronk

Minh

First Grade
Such is the depth at The Dragons in 2016 that no position is secure IMO
A very healthy place to be methinks
Whether aspirational with talent, seeking redemption or trying to rediscover the dream; Mary has put together a potentially formidable combination on a budget.
If he pulls it off, the 2016 Dragons will be the stuff of legend.
Really looking forward to the first whistle.

Agree, it's a formidable team on a budget which makes the achievement of 2015 very respectable...

Belta

Juniors
looks like BENJI is freeing from tigers , looking for a new club next year
your thoughts

I can see Dragons recruitment being all over this. Benji’s versatility and experience would be invaluable. Also I think we should move Dufty to five eight and recruit an experienced fullback and I’m sure we could convince Gary Jack to pull on the jumper again plenty of experience and a former Kangaroo. Another experienced prop to rev up our forwards and Packer is the man for this job, (like Merrin and Luke unwanted by thier clubs so perfect for us) Unlike Isaac, if Packer prefers retirement over Dragons footy we go hard for Roach, which has the double advantage of not having to listen to his commentary whilst being a like for like replacement for Graham. We won’t need to replace JDB or Frizell as there will be some fringe first grade forwards that will do the job.

hewi

Bench
I can see Dragons recruitment being all over this. Benji’s versatility and experience would be invaluable. Also I think we should move Dufty to five eight and recruit an experienced fullback and I’m sure we could convince Gary Jack to pull on the jumper again plenty of experience and a former Kangaroo. Another experienced prop to rev up our forwards and Packer is the man for this job, (like Merrin and Luke unwanted by thier clubs so perfect for us) Unlike Isaac, if Packer prefers retirement over Dragons footy we go hard for Roach, which has the double advantage of not having to listen to his commentary whilst being a like for like replacement for Graham. We won’t need to replace JDB or Frizell as there will be some fringe first grade forwards that will do the job.

Im sure the board are all over this and probably collectively got hard ons thinking about it and the premiership that it will lead to

Latest posts