What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Avenger's Secrets XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not entirely sure but i think they stopped allowing teams to pay someone a year early after the roosters did it with maloney

I'm not 100% sure that they did stop situations like the Maloney one. The Warriors released Maloney early, so that he was a contracted Roosters player for some part of the 'salary cap year'. If SBW's rugby contract finishes before the end of the cap year (Oct 31?), then I think you could do the same. But may you're right and I missed something.

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm not 100% sure that they did stop situations like the Maloney one. The Warriors released Maloney early, so that he was a contracted Roosters player for some part of the 'salary cap year'. If SBW's rugby contract finishes before the end of the cap year (Oct 31?), then I think you could do the same. But may you're right and I missed something.

Don't you just goto control panel, date time and change the clock, print out whatever contract and Change it back

lingard

Coach
My assertion is that smaller, skilful, hard working forwards are less useful than they were when the wrestle was less prominent. Cayless was one of the best props in the game early in his career, whereas later, when he should have been at his peak, he was superseded by the big boys.

Once again, not sure where you're coming from. In 2008 (two years before he retired) Cayless captained New Zealand in the World Cup. They won. And in 2009 he was back to his off-loading best when he played an integral part in our march to the Grand Final. But, hey, you know your Rugby League so who am I to point this out?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I found out what the great duke paid Hiku last night and if it's anywhere near the sort of coin I heard you'd piss yourself laughing... I'm now glad we didn't get into a bidding war for him

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Once again, not sure where you're coming from. In 2008 (two years before he retired) Cayless captained New Zealand in the World Cup. They won. And in 2009 he was back to his off-loading best when he played an integral part in our march to the Grand Final. But, hey, you know your Rugby League so who am I to point this out?

Once again?

It is the same post you responded to yesterday! Remember? You said this last time:

Yes, I know. And I think you're wrong.

You seem incapable of addressing anything other than Cayless' form so I'll ask two questions:

1. Do you think it is possible that minor rule changes and refereeing differences year to year have an influence on the ruck? I seem to remember the dour, defence oriented games of 2002-2004 being different to 2005 and 2009, where teams like the Tigers and Eels shined.

2. If we accept 1 as true, then do you think smaller skilful forwards benefit more from open spaces and faster rucks or slow games with lots of wrestle and less room to move? Based on my observations I would suggest they prefer the opportunities presented by the former rather than the latter.

But of course, it is Pou so it must be wrong, and besides Cayless captained the 2008 World Cup FFS :crazy:

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
I found out what the great duke paid Hiku last night and if it's anywhere near the sort of coin I heard you'd piss yourself laughing... I'm now glad we didn't get into a bidding war for him

Well how much then? If you can't say it outright then maybe you can say it in fruit.

e.g. Say it's $500k, then you could say 300 bananas and 200 apples. Not that Hiku values or prefers bananas to apples of course. :sarcasm:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Once again, not sure where you're coming from. In 2008 (two years before he retired) Cayless captained New Zealand in the World Cup. They won.

Yep. As the senior member he was captain, and the team was good enough to win. Was he their best player? Was he even close to it? I'd suggest that since that was his final appearance for the Kiwis he was at the end of his usefulness as an international player.

And in 2009 he was back to his off-loading best when he played an integral part in our march to the Grand Final. But, hey, you know your Rugby League so who am I to point this out?

His offload certainly did help us in 2009, but it needed to - his go forward and quick play-the-ball had left him a few years before. And in 2010 his offload barely helped at all.

Delboy

First Grade
Believe Hiku agreed to $300k to $350k to join our club, then Beesting head came in with a "much larger" offe. Understand we were asked to consider an upgrade , and our coach suggested he would drive him to the Riff as it was a once in a lifetime offer

But then, we all know the dukester would neve make a mistake etc etc, see if it was a good deal

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well how much then? If you can't say it outright then maybe you can say it in fruit.

e.g. Say it's $500k, then you could say 300 bananas and 200 apples. Not that Hiku values or prefers bananas to apples of course. :sarcasm:

I reckon he's worth $500k as a fullback.

hindy111

Post Whore
430k a year for hiku...we offered hoppa 670 this year and apparently was on the overs.
Hiku is not worth that imo to our club.But i said same about whare overated.Egg on my face.

Penrith team i think is weak in forward depth and horrid halves.I much prefer our squad

Stagger eel

Staff member

Well I'll put it back to you mate, how much would you of paid for him?

Stagger eel

Staff member
430k a year for hiku...we offered hoppa 670 this year and apparently was on the overs.
Hiku is not worth that imo to our club.But i said same about whare overated.Egg on my face.

Penrith team i think is weak in forward depth and horrid halves.I much prefer our squad

I heard it was more than 430

hindy111

Post Whore
Wallace /soward or foran /norman?
There pack is good until get injuries then its weak.And there a more skillfull hardworking pack with guys like taylor - peachey - cartwright-merrin...
Our pack is way more aggressive and tough.Thats the forwards i prefer and thenones who win use comps.

hindy111

Post Whore
I heard it was more than 430

Why thou?
Like hoppa or sandow. IF the other best offer is 350 i doubt a club has too offer 550 they would slap on maybe an extra 50k imo and that should be enough to get them.I doubt we paid hoppa 800k.More like 450k tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.