What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Gayle labelled a 'creep' with a track record of disrespected female journalists

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Different culture mate

Gayle doesn't live here and he basically travels the world with his harem in tow. The sad part is that he didn't think he did anything wrong.

Who knows or has seen someone hit on a girl working in a bar?

Earning far less than Mel, doing a harder job with worse hours and no glamour, but being repeatedly hit on by customers.

Some of them she may like. Go on a date with or even take home. Some she may just humour, enjoy the flattery, and some she might just find repulsive and hope they cross the line without groping or grabbing her inappropriately, so she can have them ejected by security without being physically molested.

So when you think Mel has it horribly bad - I hope you spare a thought for her and give her a big tip.

Because what Gayle told Mel she was pretty and he'd like to take her for a drink.

The sky is falling down.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The main difference imo was the "flirting" between sharapova and the journo was reciprocal

how do you know ?

the journo wasn't on camera

[youtube]tSioIJz2bY4[/youtube]

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Its not all glitz and glamour. Sure, she's made it to the top, and good on her. She is talented. There's a lot that don't make it, despite incredible efforts to do so.

FWIW, I did freelance journalism. I covered sports and it was great fun. But it was done professionally. Journalism is an art, its not an entertainment form IMO. The people I was fortunate enough to work with took their profession seriously and were extremely committed, most were driven for a passion to inform their audience. I don't think I came across any who viewed what they did as a form of entertainment.
Sports journalists are reporting on the entertainment package of an entertainment product. Sideline interviews during the match - they're part of the entertainment product. Maybe the writers in the NZ Herald reporting on matches think they're something more than entertainers - they're not. And Jeremy Wells - knows he is part of the entertainment when he writes for the herald and commentates on the Alternative Commentary Collective. Which I chose over Sky today.

Journalism is an art - I agree. But if entertainment forms are not art - is entertainment a science then?

Is music not an art - does it not entertain you?

Is theatre is not an art - does it not entertain you?

Movies, acting - not science - looks like an art to me.

Almost all, if not all entertainment is an art I would conclude. There are arts that are not meant for entertainment - like the practice of law, or military war, but the art set is bigger than the entertainment subset thereof. Economics is an art. Politics is an art. Law is an art.

A distinction that journalism can draw from entertainment, is its government watchdog role and its public and or self perceived duty as part of the fourth estate to inform the voter in a democracy of issues so that they may exercise their vote well and informed. How cricket matches are playing out is not a political mandate - whereas cricket stadiums and grounds are. If you're on the back pages - you're entertainment, not part of the democratic process of state of informing voters.

Motoring journalists may not be entertaining as such as we typically use the word, but they're of interest to some like any hobby or vocational source like any non-fiction book that is read. I am entertained by cars.

She's not hosting a game show.
I do not understand the relevance. Do you think that hosting a game show is less dignified than what Mel does? Seems pretty similar, go on tv, dress to the nines, and ask questions of the key actors for the entertainment of the audience.

Perhaps it might be an appropriate forum if she's hosting a romance game show. She's covering sport. She wants to inform the viewers of the mechanics of the game.
She is not the commentator. She is Ian Smith on the sidelines of the rugby games. Leave it Marshall and Wilson to educate the viewers on the mechanics of the game.

The way I view my fellow employees, for the females they're someone's daughter trying to make their way. Treat them with respect in the workplace. If you form a social relationship outside of work, all well and good, but its left until then.
They're not co-workers.

Would you want to see Ian Smith or Simon Doull ham it up with chicks on the sideline? Not really.

[youtube]UbUAAbvAXZc[/youtube] David Lloyd at the 2:16 mark.

Also for fun:

[youtube]ULdLsGBvfFQ[/youtube]

[youtube]59aoWggycSE[/youtube]

[youtube]2WVl0NgdsDk[/youtube]

[youtube]yFPxSn69pcc[/youtube]

[youtube]Mt5lZQfHCo0[/youtube] - pick the bones out of this one because its a compilation

Why treat her any differently because of either her gender or her looks? What Gayle did wasn't acceptable. AFAIK he's the only person in the BBL in any season who has acted this way with a reporter. That should tell you something about the way the players regard acting professionally and where the line is. Chris Rogers comments today on Gayle point to me to players themselves not being enamoured with Gayle's approach.

Maybe he thought he could emulate Martin Guptill with his own personal dream girl version of Laura. Mel is very attractive, he may actually really like her. Its not beyond the scope of possibility.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
and you know if Piers Morgan is trumpeting the same line then you're on shaky ground...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Channel 10 reporter Mel McLaughlin speaks out on controversial Chris Gayle interview
Staff Writers FOX SPORTS January 05, 2016 7:44PM SHARE

CHANNEL 10 reporter Mel McLaughlin says she accepts Chris Gayle’s apology for his controversial behaviour during a sideline interview on live television and wants to now move on from the saga.

Gayle has been fined $10,000 by BBL franchise the Melbourne Renegades after attempting to flirt with McLaughlin during the Renegades win over Hobart on Monday night, with Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland declaring Gayle’s behaviour “completely out of line” and “inappropriate for the workplace”.

The 36-year-old T20 star issued an apology to McLaughlin on Tuesday morning after widespread condemnation over his conduct, but also declared the ‘simple joke’ had been blown out of proportion.

McLaughlin told Channel 10’s The Project that she was embarrassed by the fallout around the incident, and now wants to move on from the furore.

“I’ve not spoken to (Gayle) personally but I flew home from Hobart today and he was at Melbourne airport,” McLaughlin said.

“I know he issued an apology. I accept that and I just want to move on.

“I don’t really want to be the subject of such conversations, I like just going about my business and doing my job,” McLaughlin also said earlier in the day on Channel 10 news.

“(It’s) definitely a good thing people are talking ... you know, we want equality, we always want equality.

“I’ve always felt in my career I’ve felt nothing but respect.

“Of course you don’t expect to get that answer (from Gayle).

“(It’s) a little bit disappointing because it just doesn’t happen normally.”

Renegades chief executive Stuart Coventry offered McLaughlin an unreserved apology on behalf of the franchise, but defended the decision to issue a fine instead of a suspension, the sum of which will be donated by the club to the Jane McGrath Foundation.

Coventry describing the situation as a “one-off”, with Gayle’s exemplary conduct since he joined the Renegades this summer seen as a mitigating factor.

In the immediate aftermath of the interview Channel 10 head of sport David Barham said the network would no longer fit Gayle with a microphone to capture his on field comments and would not be asked to film helmet cam footage.

“We will be seeking an apology,” Barham told The Herald Sun.

“It was totally inappropriate behaviour. Mel’s a working journalist doing a job.”

“We won’t be using him in the game anymore. Unless things change in the next few days, it’s not happening,” he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...-gayle-interview/story-fn5k3es5-1227698462533

ANTiLAG

First Grade
and you know if Piers Morgan is trumpeting the same line then you're on shaky ground...

Ha. I'm more concerned on being on the same side of public opinion as El Diablo.

Piers Morgan (and 60% of New Zealand news readers support Gayle and where only 29% think Gayle did something wrong - the remaining thinking that he misjudged the situation and his tongue slipped) was a relief.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Indeed it's not, why can't we just agree he's a dick and move on?

Of course he's a dick.

He may even be a bigotted pig.

But he's not the above for this Mel incident.

The gold bat was a dick thing to do.

The twitter stripper pole was a dick thing to announce (not to have, thats fine- but to publicly announce it was a dick thing).

He is a dick without realising it a lot I imagine. He is an egomaniac sports star.

But telling Mel she has pretty eyes and inviting her for a drink is not an outrage. I don't even think it warrants a fine. Its not even really a dick thing to do.

Sportsman hits on hot female sports presenter - outrageous - lets get him.

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
The James Sutherland interview was a bit much. Just release a statement, dish out what ever punishment {suspended fine would have been fine imo} and move on.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Of course he's a dick.

He may even be a bigotted pig.

But he's not the above for this Mel incident.

The gold bat was a dick thing to do.

The twitter stripper pole was a dick thing to announce (not to have, thats fine- but to publicly announce it was a dick thing).

He is a dick without realising it a lot I imagine. He is an egomaniac sports star.

But telling Mel she has pretty eyes and inviting her for a drink is not an outrage. I don't even think it warrants a fine. Its not even really a dick thing to do.

Sportsman hits on hot female sports presenter - outrageous - lets get him.

there is a time and a place. This is the issue not what was said, what was said was lame and corny and inapropriate for live tv, promoting a sport for the whole family

Gayle crossed the line , 20 years olds interviewed have more style and grace than that dickwad

ANTiLAG

First Grade
there is a time and a place. This is the issue not what was said, what was said was lame and corny and inapropriate for live tv, promoting a sport for the whole family

Gayle crossed the line , 20 years olds interviewed have more style and grace than that dickwad

How is complimenting a girl and asking her out innapropriate for live tv?

It's his possible rejection on the line. He handled rejection well. Good role model. Picked himself back up quickly and laughed it off despite possible embarassment in public.

What line did he cross? Dont tell pretty reporters that they're pretty and you'd like to go out for a drink with them? That is a line? Since when and how is that a line?

She is happy to ask him and others more awkward questions while he and others have just got out and stuffed up in their own office but dont tell her that she is pretty and invite her out. Imagine being asked about your form or possible retirement after a run of low scores, ambushed by her on the boundary within 30 seconds of the wicket falling. You probably think if she can handle asking that, and basically tell someone they're possibly getting too old or doing crap at their job on tv, that she can handle being told she's pretty.

It was entertaining at worst. They both work in entertainment. Those outraged by Gayle on this, I find ridiculous.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Again if he actually wanted to have a drink with her why did he go about it the dumbest possible way. It was a cheap joke at the reporters expense and it fell flat. Here is a hottip to any budding comedy writers out there. It doesn't matter how offensive your joke is....as long as its actually funny.

Patorick

Staff member
She's purely there for the same reason as Yvonne Sampson, the token woman. If they wanted someone who knows about cricket they would have got maybe Saltau, Farrell or someone like that. Her entire role on the program is to introduce topics for the actual former/current cricketers to talk about, no actual input of her own, just sort of sits there and nods.

Not saying she isn't incapable of more, but Ten's use of her is far more detrimental than anything Gayle could ever do.

Going a bit OT in here tbh.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...sogynist-can-everyone-just-settle-down-4.html

God bless Cricketweb...

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Again if he actually wanted to have a drink with her why did he go about it the dumbest possible way. It was a cheap joke at the reporters expense and it fell flat. Here is a hottip to any budding comedy writers out there. It doesn't matter how offensive your joke is....as long as its actually funny.

I could hear laughter in the commentary room.

She handled it poorly. She should have said no thanks and let him down gently but firmly (putting embarrassment on him) and got back onto the cricket subject, or joked along whether he asks all the girl reporters out and she is not convinced by his "special" flattery of her eyes (setting him to gently put down without embarrassing him badly but displaying comfort with compliment). Or she could gave flirted and joked back - a slightly riskier move if not done well but highly entertaining in any which way. Or she could have said 'you're joking' giving him an out of possible embarrassment and then she can move on with the interview.

By almost interjecting a strongly voiced denial curtly that she was not blushing, then changing the subject she appeared confrontational and aggressively defensive; in doing that she put an elephant in the room that social media could not resist.

If she was pissed off with Gayle flirting, I want to know why. Why should he known to never compliment her amorously. What was this social faux pas he had committed that he should have known that she would be offended by his invitation and compliment?

I reckon she was not prepared or trained by her employer for that situation and handled it wrong. He put her totally out of her depth and she was demonstrated to be insecure with receiving compliments. She is not as naturally confident as she may appear to some audiences prior. Confident girls take beauty compliments by men in their stride, either wanted or not, and do not let it get to being a 'situation' or an awkward thing.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If you are going to try the comedy game (as a pro athlete) and your material bombs then why should the audience dig you out of trouble ?

It was just a complete disaster.

As I said its been a pretty big year for elite cricketers (or former elite cricketers) acting like socially awkward weirdos. Maybe as you are also a socially awkward weirdo you just see it as normal ?

Latest posts