What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 SG Ball / Harold Matts Junior Rep News

If clubs don't care where the talent come from then surely they would not oppose a draft, which is the fairest way to distribute talent from the strong grassroots areas.

Anyway we are certainly very visible on the coast, I was in bugewoi soccer club during the week and the coasters have our badge on them. And I see the easts leagues club bus going up and down the freeway at times as well, so its obvious the club is laying down a strong pathway and connection to the region. Newcastle treat it as a picking ground for talent and give nothing in return when they should be focusing on the hunter and mid north coast

In my opinion im all for the draft system, it works great with the AFL.! (As a hypothetical) All kids get nominated prior to Harold Matts season to the NRL. The NRL take the top 150 players each year, all players are put through testing, speed - agility - endurance - strength - ball skills ect. On those results & previous vision watching the kids play for there respective club - rep teams the clubs get priority picks depending on where they finished the previous year. Whether they allow dispensation for players who fathers represented the club previous or players who are home grown and developed locally i dont know, but i think it could work. Again this is only my opinion as im sure there are plenty of people against it.

Totally agree CC_Roosters, after the Coast did their cuts last weekend Manly approached a few of them. I heard from one of Manlys Coast parents that Matts beat St George 15 tries to 2.
Honestly if you play in an area under an NRL pathway banner, players should be exempt from any salary caps involving that club.
#representwhereyoulive #centralcoastpride

Wow really Ourimbah magpies.? That didnt take manly long to swoop on the cut players. (no pun intended)
Either Manly are very good or St George are very poor, again i guess its not a true representation on where the clubs will be come Harold Matts season as im sure both clubs still need to cut players from there roster. I also like the idea of players being exempt from salary caps if they are home grown and locally developed, this might put more onus on the clubs to invest more time - energy - money into the juniors. Again this is only my opinion but a great talking point.

peeks

Juniors
Prop/Lock from Tumut. Made the nswchs u18s last year and has signed to play holden cup for parra.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Prop/Lock from Tumut. Made the nswchs u18s last year and has signed to play holden cup for parra.

Thanks mate, yeah I saw his name pop up on one of our articles about the NYC and did a little bit of research on him but didn't find too much. Good player you reckon?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
How is it that outside of Newcastle, Canberra etc.... we don't see the rest of the regional areas represented in the HM and SG ball cups? They are basically the defacto state rep competitions for underage players yet vast swathes of NSW is not represented, meanwhile in Sydney we have two western Sydney academies and some very small metro rep sides like St George and Easts participating (no doubt loaded with bush, kiwi and Queenslanders)

Imo part of the much vaunted $100m a year should be put into funding under age rep sides in the bush, if they really mean what they say in keeping players in home regions longer then this is the first key step never mind any platinum league. The Riverina, Western NSW, North coast, New England are all key regions that need to be supported in doing this.

South Sydney defeated the Central Coast Centurians in both the Harold Matts and S.G.Ball at Erskinville Oval earlier today, heard the Matts score was 7 tries to 0.
Newcastle and Manly played a trial also.

HAROLD MATTHEWS INFO>> Manly v Newcastle today was a physical game, Manly tried to out muscle newcastle in the first 15min with some very strong defence, but unfortunately it didnt last. newcastle played some very smart football. great to watch. Standouts were newcastle 1 - 12 - 13 - 7 - 2 red/blue jerseys.. Souths v Centurions was 10 tries to 1. souths dominated the game. there were 3-4 centurions players in matts that played good. blue jerseys 14 -10 - yellow jerseys 9 - 6 - 13 - 19. Good luck to all boys on there final selections.

South Sydney defeated the Central Coast Centurians in both the Harold Matts and S.G.Ball at Erskinville Oval earlier today, heard the Matts score was 7 tries to 0.
Newcastle and Manly played a trial also.

What was the score Manly v Newcastle ?. Pretty sure Centurians try was disallowed against Souths.

team 1 2x 20min halves.. Knights were down 1 try early then skipped ahead through some brilliance from there full back who set up the next 4x tries. Knights were up 4-1 then made changes. score ended up 4-3 to knights. number 1 i was told is a coast kid called logan

team 2 2x20 min halves pretty even throughout this game im sure the final score was 2-2 not 100% certain though.

MyRoots

Juniors
I would be expecting Centurion Matts and possibly SG, will unfortunately be getting flogged in every game this year considering the selection choices and processes from all coaching staff that are in in place atm..

team 1 2x 20min halves.. Knights were down 1 try early then skipped ahead through some brilliance from there full back who set up the next 4x tries. Knights were up 4-1 then made changes. score ended up 4-3 to knights. number 1 i was told is a coast kid called logan

team 2 2x20 min halves pretty even throughout this game im sure the final score was 2-2 not 100% certain though.

Yeah Logan Humphreys plays for the Entrance Tigers, their hooker Cameron Davies is another from the Coast as is their halfback Phoenix Crossland who plays with Cameron at Erina. Another Erina boy MacKenzie Kay who decided not to play Matts is an absolute freak and would've really made an impression on this competition after being a stand out at last years U15's Country Championships.. The Central Coast will really miss these four players. Newcastle have another three Coast boys Jack Brown (Wyong), Toby Marks (Woy Woy) and Bradman Best (Woy Woy) in their squad.

Last edited:
That is a loss to the central coast all those players. but wasnt that phoenix kid in the nsw chs team along with another kid i think from the coast.

Last edited:
That is a loss to the central coast all those players. but wasnt that phoenix kid in the nsw chs team along with another kid i think from the coast.
Yes thats right Phoenix and Kyle Schneider (Entrance Tigers) were in the halves together for the NSWCHS side, both go to Hunter Sports but I've since heard Kyle is now playing Matts down with Parramatta.
If the CCCenturians could keep these quality players they could actually be fairly competitive.
I really don't see the benefits of playing away for Harold Matts, hell how many players are there from winning Matts and S.G.Ball sides who don't actually get to NRL level.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
HAROLD MATTHEWS INFO>> Manly v Newcastle today was a physical game, Manly tried to out muscle newcastle in the first 15min with some very strong defence, but unfortunately it didnt last. newcastle played some very smart football. great to watch. Standouts were newcastle 1 - 12 - 13 - 7 - 2 red/blue jerseys.. Souths v Centurions was 10 tries to 1. souths dominated the game. there were 3-4 centurions players in matts that played good. blue jerseys 14 -10 - yellow jerseys 9 - 6 - 13 - 19. Good luck to all boys on there final selections.

What was the SG Ball scoreline Souths v CC ?