What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Parra Stadium sharing

SDM

First Grade
I think standing is the only way to go as we watch the Eels surge forward into the post-Jarryd Hayne era.
Far too exciting to remain seated.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Down to Siddle like pace now Twiz??? I bowl spin in indoor these days and I somehow get more wickets.

#shitgetswickets

We play guys in indoor who bowl at Siddle's pace (125ks), they play A grade outdoor cricket. How this guy plays for Australia got me f**ked.

We play guys in indoor who bowl at Siddle's pace (125ks), they play A grade outdoor cricket. How this guy plays for Australia got me f**ked.

There are heaps of blokes who can bowl 125-130kph..... Though you do have to be careful with the speed guns at indoor cricket centres. The proprietors have been known to 'calibrate' them.

The best gauge is to get yourself in front of a bowling machine and set it to 130ks (and don't let any wankers feed it). It's quite playable. Add 5ks and it gets interesting. Add another 5 and you have to revisit your footwork.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They were measured outdoors.

The first few are quick as most dont bowl that fast but you get used to them after a while

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
This is Orlando City's new stadium in the USA MLS
Surely, something like this, which has a safe standing single tiered end would be a perfect fit for both clubs here? With a roof of course!!
The steepness of the safe standing end shows that the rails would not be an issue. Don't forget, in seating mode, there are TWO steps between every row, thus increasing the height above the row in front of you, When the seats are folded up, there are the same two steps for standing, which is why capacity is increased in safe standing mode.

jZfAFY7.jpg

JHzkR9W.jpg

gzaW7fQ.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
I think WSW need to slow down and instead of designing stadia with standing areas, they should be providing comfort to the NSW Government that the proposal of safe standing is indeed, safe.

Venues NSW will no doubt be looking to the UK for a position. As I understand it, this is the UK Governments current position:-

Safe standing at football grounds

We accept that some supporters miss the tradition, character and history of some of our former grounds.

Many are in favour of the return of standing areas. It is generally accepted, however, that the majority of football grounds are safer and more comfortable than they were twenty years ago. Before any change in the legislation, there would have to be a very clear demand, as well as very clear evidence that any such change meets stringent safety standards, presented from all the relevant authorities responsible for stadium safety, including the police, as well as it being clear that this is something all parties want.

In meetings with the football authorities and clubs, there is no appetite to change the current policy and no compelling case has been made. It is also worth noting that the Hillsborough Family Support Group state that “we are totally against any form of standing whatsoever. We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums; we just believe there’s no such thing as safe standing in this country”.

We understand those that have to manage or licence/certify stadia generally hold the view that the introduction of all-seated stadia are better for public safety, and also have improved crowd management, crowd behaviour and policing. They provide higher standards of comfort to enjoy football matches and a defensible space for supporters, both of which help encourage inclusivity and diversity amongst those attending.

For these reasons, we believe the longstanding policy, which requires that stadia of football clubs in the top two divisions be all-seater, remains an important measure in maintaining safety at football grounds in England and Wales.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/safe-standing-at-football-grounds

Suitman

Post Whore
I think WSW need to slow down and instead of designing stadia with standing areas, they should be providing comfort to the NSW Government that the proposal of safe standing is indeed, safe.

Venues NSW will no doubt be looking to the UK for a position. As I understand it, this is the UK Governments current position:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/safe-standing-at-football-grounds

You stand on one side of the fence.
I stand on the other.
WSW could easily provide what you ask, and use overseas examples.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...introduce-safe-standing-area-Celtic-Park.html

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33061483

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/9879678/celtic-to-introduce-rail-seating-at-celtic-park

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Can you tell me Gronk, why you would see a problem with the Eels/Wanderers getting a new stadium like that of Orlando and the pictures I provided above?

Gronk

Staff member
Can you tell me Gronk, why you would see a problem with the Eels/Wanderers getting a new stadium like that of Orlando and the pictures I provided above?

There would be no problem IMO if:-

1. Venues NSW are satisfied by independent reports (based on safety, security etc) that any public liability concerns are resolved. After all no venue wishes to be held liable for providing facilities to the public that are less that 100% compliant to all health and safety requirements.

2. The "safe standing" area is able to be converted to regular stadium seating (ie not inferior standing or fold down versions) so that fans of other codes can enjoy the new multi code stadium in full capacity mode.

Whatever they do, I'd recommend calling it 'dedicated standing' rather than 'safe standing'. The lawyers will have a field day after the first injury in a 'safe standing' zone.

Suitman

Post Whore
There would be no problem IMO if:-

1. Venues NSW are satisfied by independent reports (based on safety, security etc) that any public liability concerns are resolved. After all no venue wishes to be held liable for providing facilities to the public that are less that 100% compliant to all health and safety requirements.

2. The "safe standing" area is able to be converted to regular stadium seating (ie not inferior standing or fold down versions) so that fans of other codes can enjoy the new multi code stadium in full capacity mode.

I don't see a problem with either of those opinions. In fact, I think they are both perfectly valid.
I'm more amused at why these things bother you. They're certainly not going to affect "YOUR" game day experience.
E.G. I've never sat nor stood in the RBB (north terrace) at Pirtek at a Wanderers match. I'm a Cronin Stand man. I appreciate however, what a standing terrace provides for a match day experience. It is brilliant
I also believe this could happen for the Eels, f**king obviously without the flares. (Go figure :roll:)
The health and safety issue will, what a surprise, certainly be taken into consideration. Afterall, we live in politically correct take no risks Australia.

Gronk

Staff member
I don't see a problem with either of those opinions. In fact, I think they are both perfectly valid.
I'm more amused at why these things bother you. They're certainly not going to affect "YOUR" game day experience.
E.G. I've never sat nor stood in the RBB (north terrace) at Pirtek at a Wanderers match. I'm a Cronin Stand man. I appreciate however, what a standing terrace provides for a match day experience. It is brilliant
I also believe this could happen for the Eels, f**king obviously without the flares. (Go figure :roll:)
The health and safety issue will, what a surprise, certainly be taken into consideration. Afterall, we live in politically correct take no risks Australia.

It doesn't "bother me". It's simply daft to build a multi code stadium that does not cater for everyone 365 days a year.

So have your rails. At the end of your season remove them and install regular seating. That way the winter codes can enjoy the new stadium at full capacity.

The suggestion that other codes might change their fan behaviour and learn to like standing areas is wishful thinking at a time were fans will only go to the games when they are provided with the best facilities.

Suitman

Post Whore
It doesn't "bother me". It's simply daft to build a multi code stadium that does not cater for everyone 365 days a year.

So have your rails. At the end of your season remove them and install regular seating. That way the winter codes can enjoy the new stadium at full capacity.

The suggestion that other codes might change their fan behaviour and learn to like standing areas is wishful thinking at a time were fans will only go to the games when they are provided with the best facilities.

Fair enough.
I asked this question yesterday though.
What is wrong with standing at the footy?
Many people used to do it and many still do - albeit at other grounds. They still would at Pirtek if the upgrade 10 years ago had have kept the hills open.
Do you REALLY think that every fan who attends an Eels game, wants to sit?
Even the people who want to stand don't have to be active or anything. They can stand there with their hands in their pockets if they like, and clap clap clap when the PA system tells them to, to support their team.
Plenty of English SL teams have standing areas you know, and they are the life blood of the atmosphere at their games.

I just don't get why people are against standing areas, when -

1. They don't have to buy tickets there.
2. Standing isn't an unusual attraction at a game of footy
3. Fans of any club or sport are more likely to make noise and increase atmosphere.

Gronk, you DO know don't you, that at all those "all seater" stadiums in England, that most fans behind the goals stand anyway?

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
Fair enough.
I asked this question yesterday though.
What is wrong with standing at the footy?
Many people used to do it and many still do - albeit at other grounds. They still would at Pirtek if the upgrade 10 years ago had have kept the hills open.
Do you REALLY think that every fan who attends an Eels game, wants to sit?
Even the people who want to stand don't have to be active or anything. They can stand there with their hands in their pockets if they like, and clap clap clap when the PA system tells them to, to support their team.
Plenty of English SL teams have standing areas you know, and they are the life blood of the atmosphere at their games.

I just don't get why people are against standing areas, when -

1. They don't have to buy tickets there.
2. Standing isn't an unusual attraction at a game of footy
3. Fans of any club or sport are more likely to make noise and increase atmosphere.

Gronk, you DO know don't you, that at all those "all seater" stadiums in England, that most fans behind the goals stand anyway?

Suity

Sorry can't see ever happening. If it was your ground, then do what you like. But it's a multicode stadium that is to cater for many teams / events for the next 30 years. The fact that 2,500 punters from a soccer club want no seats won't sway the way that the merkins who are going to sign off on this think.

Noise

Coach
Sorry can't see ever happening. If it was your ground, then do what you like. But it's a multicode stadium that is to cater for many teams / events for the next 30 years. The fact that 2,500 punters from a soccer club want no seats won't sway the way that the merkins who are going to sign off on this think.

I tend to agree. And particularly when that group of 2,500 standing punters have had so many issues with behaviour and safety.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Suity's point was that there may also be supporters of Parra who want to stand.

I know when I'm balls deep in a "Parra, clap, clap, clap" chant I need to stand up.

Noise

Coach
I've been to many Parra games with many different people and I have never heard anyone say they would prefer to stand or even ask if there is a standing area.