What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Bigfella

Coach
He kicks out on the full and over the dead ball line very maturely, and with an attitude that is beyond reproach

forward pass

Coach
Lol

FP only blows up if Darling Li'l Morgs gets bagged here.

Not quite. Morgs is average for sure - but I think our expectation levels vary. For a back up 3rd or 4th choice centre, my expectation is that they do a pretty basic job and not f**k everything up. He does that.

Your expectation is that he should be making more hit ups, and making more metres and putting his wingers over for tries constantly. That is why he never fails to disappoint you.

Bigfella

Coach
No I'm blaming him for being shit.

And blaming whoever signed blokes like that.

If Wilkie Tonga post 2012 is in your squad then Morgan isn't a back up. He's a starter. He had been for a while.

Morgs has been the face of how little real depth we've had. He's played far more first grade games than his performances justified.

He's been a barometer of the mismanagement of our squad.

Hopefully he won't play any first grade this year, and if he does, it's truly as a back up. Not playing rounds 3-26 and every merkin saying "you can't expect him to catch or tackle or take a hit up, he's just a backup" for another entire season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No I'm blaming him for being shit.

And blaming whoever signed blokes like that.

If Wilkie Tonga post 2012 is in your squad then Morgan isn't a back up. He's a starter. He had been for a while.

Morgs has been the face of how little real depth we've had. He's played far more first grade games than his performances justified.

He's been a barometer of the mismanagement of our squad.

Hopefully he won't play any first grade this year, and if he does, it's truly as a back up. Not playing rounds 3-26 and every merkin saying "you can't expect him to catch or tackle or take a hit up, he's just a backup" for another entire season.

He tackles just fine. That's why he's good cover.

Generally what distinguishes first graders from everyone else is defence. Therefore a bloke whose attack isn't quite up to standard (but who can defend) is no liability, which makes him a great backup option. This is why Kelly and Morgan are in the side.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Also, removed Pauli (a player with great attack but whose defence isn't up to standard):

Fullback: Gordon, Moss
W/C: Faraimo, Folau, Gutherson, Jennings, Morgan, Radradra, Schulte, Toutai, Tuha
Half: Cornish, Foran, Kelly, Norman
Hooker: De Gois, King, Peats, Pritchard
Edge forward: Edwards, Gower, Ma'u, Moeroa, Scott, Tanginoa, Woods
Tight forward: Alvaro, Hasson, Mannah, O'Brien, Paulo, Terepo, Ualesi, Watmough, Wicks
Utility: Fuimaono, Nelson, Takairangi

Fullback: French
W/C: Folau, Gutherson, Jennings, Morgan, Radradra
Half: Foran
Hooker: -
Edge forward: Edwards, Gower, Ma'u, Moeroa, Scott
Tight forward: Mannah, Terepo, Watmough
Utility: Takairangi

Fullback: French
W/C: Jennings, Radradra
Edge forward: Scott
Tight forward: Watmough

Fullback: -
W/C: Jennings
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: -

So officially we have 38 merkins in the squad this year.

Bigfella

Coach
He tackles just fine. That's why he's good cover.

Generally what distinguishes first graders from everyone else is defence. Therefore a bloke whose attack isn't quite up to standard (but who can defend) is no liability, which makes him a great backup option. This is why Kelly and Morgan are in the side.

And that is why we've been shit for a long time.

Are they in the side, or are they back up by the way shifty?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And that is why we've been shit for a long time.

Because we've had a lot of key injuries? I agree.

Are they in the side, or are they back up by the way shifty?

Last I checked backups were a valuable part of the squad. I'm sure you've heard the term 'depth' thrown around before. It refers to the quality of your backups.

forward pass

Coach

Um - He was a back up last season. You keep banging on about how many games he played so he must be first choice?

Champion and Taka were first choice. Champion lasted one game, Taka was on one leg and missed a few games, next choice was Folau who was not up to it. Hoppa was moved back there so Morgs was probably 4th or 5th in line for a spot.

My argument for my little darling as you call him is that he plays the way I would expect a 4th choice to play. BA knows that's all he is. Thankfully Arthur's footy judgement is as good as yours which is a great relief to all of us.

Bigfella

Coach
He was straight in after champion got injured.

See my point re Willy Tonga above.

He was always going to play a lot of footy.

A lot more than Kelly.

FP can say what he wants about Kelly but anyone who says anything negative about Morgs isn't a fan.

Latest posts