What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Trials

Vic Mackey

Referee
Brooks is suspended for round 1 so JT giving Littlejohn time with the team which is smart. By all reports Brooks was best on park for the 40mins he played against the storm.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neither Halatau or Sironen should be starting. Both should be fighting for one spot on the bench.

I still hate seeing Kev's name at centre.

Tiger05

First Grade
Neither Halatau or Sironen should be starting. Both should be fighting for one spot on the bench.

I still hate seeing Kev's name at centre.

I reckon Naiqama's best position is in the centre's and I reckon he is easily our best option there at this point. I also think Siro deserves first shot at the 2nd row spot.

Halatau is interesting in that I think he was great last year but I don't know where he fits in.

I dont understand the love for Siro,our back row has been a problem for years yet we keep putting the same people in there expecting something and getting little in return.

Tigerted

Juniors
The backrow is a massive Achilles heel for us.

Sironen is crap, Lovett tries very hard but @ this point isn't a 1st grader , Halatau is @ the end of his career, Lawrence is new to the position although he has the work ethic to be successful,the rest of candidates are fringe /untried @ NRL.Consequently we r up shit creek without a paddle with our substandard backrow stocks.Also I deliberately didn't mention Sue as I expect him to be predominantly playing prop.

Tiger05

First Grade
Lets see how our backrow goes. I think Siro can turn into a real good player. Lawrence should go well there based on his performances last year. Halatau was really good last year as well. Sue should slot into lock and do well there.

I agree its potentially a weak area but I think there is also the potential for us to have a decent backrow.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kev is a good winger. Hisdefensive reads are still shocking at centre. He gets bumped off too easily at centre also.

If he could defend I'd be fine with it.

He's like Beau Ryan, with sloppier hands but more pace

Tigerted

Juniors
Give me Beau Ryan over Kev any day.Ryan has Kev covered in every aspect of wing play except pace although Ryan wasn't slow.

Another example of how weak our depth is in many positions when Kev walks into our starting team.Our 3/4's are another problem area 2nd to our backrow when considering our weaknesses in order of severity !

I honestly can't see how we r going to be any higher than bottom 4 with the ordinary squad & coach that we have & if anything happens to teddy or woods we r f**ked !

Tiger05

First Grade
Kev is a good winger. Hisdefensive reads are still shocking at centre. He gets bumped off too easily at centre also.

If he could defend I'd be fine with it.

He's like Beau Ryan, with sloppier hands but more pace

I think the complete opposite. Kev is real good in the centres. Yes he can play on the wing but he is more vulnerable to the high ball on the wing.

Watching the trial tonight Kev is a real weapon.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Kevs attack is definetaly suited to center IMO. He has that great in and away which resulted in a clean break from nothing tonight, he stuffed up the last pass to Tedesco though, should have been a certain try but he threw it way too early.

Overall pretty happy with the game tonight. Defended fairly well. Sharks 1st 2 tries off kicks. Another was a terrible 1on1 miss by sironen. I was disappointed with the last as well. First to allow the break on the right (mainly kevs fault) and thought Simona let brooks down in the scrambling on the left where the try was scored. We also held them out for the last 6 mins when they had 4 straight sets on our line and didn't score. We had all our reserves on and they still had both halves, bird, barba, Holmes, graham and fifita. Encouraging.

Thought our attack looked slick, every time we were in the sharks 20 we looked like scoring and generally did. Brooks, Moses, Teddy and even Littlejohn all impressive. Forwards still struggled to get out of our end at times.

Sironen and Lawrence are still our weak points for mine. Thought Aloiai looked good and Littlejohn is a very capable fill in half.

Cherrington is just fantastic, he really adds another dimension in attack when he comes on and doesn't over play his hand like Farah.

Thought rankin looked better then Hunt on the wing but I'd still prefer addo-Carr.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Cherrington changes the team around doesn't he. He has to be on the bench. Kev kills it in the centres - I don't get the comments towards him. Our spine were all good. Grant was good. Aloiai was good.

I also think Addo-Carr should get the wing spot.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Some of my concerns are;

Goal kicking is going to hurt us at some point this year
Siro's defence is pretty average at best
Our forwards, while strong at times were not destructive in their hit ups
The wrong players are going to be chosen by Taylor is round one

Other than that....an entertaining game I suppose.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Kevs attack is definetaly suited to center IMO. He has that great in and away which resulted in a clean break from nothing tonight, he stuffed up the last pass to Tedesco though, should have been a certain try but he threw it way too early.

Overall pretty happy with the game tonight. Defended fairly well. Sharks 1st 2 tries off kicks. Another was a terrible 1on1 miss by sironen. I was disappointed with the last as well. First to allow the break on the right (mainly kevs fault) and thought Simona let brooks down in the scrambling on the left where the try was scored. We also held them out for the last 6 mins when they had 4 straight sets on our line and didn't score. We had all our reserves on and they still had both halves, bird, barba, Holmes, graham and fifita. Encouraging.

Thought our attack looked slick, every time we were in the sharks 20 we looked like scoring and generally did. Brooks, Moses, Teddy and even Littlejohn all impressive. Forwards still struggled to get out of our end at times.

Sironen and Lawrence are still our weak points for mine. Thought Aloiai looked good and Littlejohn is a very capable fill in half.

Cherrington is just fantastic, he really adds another dimension in attack when he comes on and doesn't over play his hand like Farah.

Thought rankin looked better then Hunt on the wing but I'd still prefer addo-Carr.

Pretty good summation Vic, not much I disagree with....totally agree about Cherrington.

macnaz

Staff member
While our forwards worked hard , especially Sue in the 1st stint i really feel we will miss an enforcer like Taupau in our pack. .
I was pretty happy with the way everyone played except perhaps Sirro and Farah .
Sirro just refuses to put his body on the line , and Farah still has stupid hero plays in his game . Also Moses will carve teams up when he gets more confident running the ball. Brookes looked strong and composed.
Brookes , Moses ,Chero and Teddy as our spine could develop into something real special .

gordsy

Juniors
I don't agree with how farrah was treated but you have to wonder if taylor was onto something with cherrington starting and ballin coming on to cover until cherring can play a full 80 mins.

Tiger05

First Grade
Farah was good but Cherrington was a lot better. Like Macnaz says it's that one or two hog plays that Robbie does that don't work out that kill me. He has done that for years.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The thing that really worries me is I think Liddle is insanely over rated. All he does he make good runs after a quick play the ball in NYC. He has no kicking game, defence is very questionable and his vision and feeding the ball is nowhere near Manaias, who looked like a first grader every since SG Ball.

I've very worried the club may focus on Liddle as his timing is a lot more convenient then Cherringtons. However to me it would be like we let Benji go to keep Ben Roberts back in 2003.

Latest posts