What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Eels V Broncos

hindy111

Post Whore
Cornish was behind sam william last year who is a back up. Ricky rated Sam higher as his back up. That says something about the coaches thoughts.
Rickys a good judge on halves IMO - Seizer and Austin are great. He also signed Norman when here!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Seriously though I agree that some people cross the line but it's part and parcel of being a professional sports person and I assume they are told as players to seperate criticism of their performance from them personally. I don't think people are death riding, I would love Kelly to become a late blooming Peter Sterling and prove everyone wrong. You however only get so many chances.

If Kelly became a first grader we would still need a backup half. And that merkin would still get blamed whenever he had to play.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What would of you done? Played Cornish? It was a 50-50 decision.Coach went with Kelly.
We all know Kellys limits. I was hoping he had one of his better games.He however did not. If he does come in again due to injuries i hope he does have one of his better games!

How many of our players had 'one of his better games' against the premiership favourites? Mannah, Paulo and Radradra were all far below their best.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As someone said, if you want a 7 that tackles , put a player like Ken Edwards there

And as I already told you, Kenny Edwards has no kicking game. However bad you think Kelly's kicking game is (and I think it's average, which is good enough for a backup), a forward without a kicking game is worse.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou, watch the game again, Kelly moves inside to stay on the shoulders of the middle forwards he doesn't miss tackles as he hides as much as possible, he doesn't read the game well and is very slow in sliding to support the outside backs

I'm sure you're right. Do you think it's likely that the coach isn't aware? Do you think it's possible the team has been told to defend this way?

I understand he is a backup, but he has been a back up for 3 seasons and hasn't offered much, We haven't seen Cornish for instance in our set up, it may possibly suit him more.

The thing is, 'we' don't make the decisions. The people who do make the decisions have seen Cornish, a lot more than any of us. They would have watched him closely last year when deciding to sign him, and then they would have watched him closely all pre-season. Whatever he's not doing well at training, he won't suddenly begin to do well in an NRL match.

His kicking game , running game and passing seem far superior to Kelly. He is well worth a chance or alternately, give an even younger prospect a go, Kelly is history and if my thoughts that he was resigned purely to assist with cap management after last years games from the second tier cap

Just stop.

The salary cap doesn't work that way. You are confusing (badly) the impact of match payments on a player's value: http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

In no sane universe could a club be forced to re-sign a player in order to reduce their cap burden the following year. Maybe you are thinking of an option clause triggered by number of games played? It's possible but there is zero proof of it so far.

we would have done better to chase another player, he is not going to give you anything resembling NRL standard

Well actually he does. He gives NRL standard defence (for a half) as well as NRL standard kicking game. You might bag his kicking game, because you only remember the poor kicks, but every kicker fluffs a few, even fan favourites. Of course, you never remember those. I reckon Kelly's kicking game is at least as good as Norman's or Foran's.

Don't dislike the player, just don't want him in the side, seen enopuhg over 3 seasons to be confident he doesn't cut it

Very few (i.e. close to zero) backup halves 'cut it'. That's why they're backups. And just because you haven't seen a bloke play much footy doesn't mean he will magically become a first grader when thrown in the deep end.

Mitch Cornish was the bloke who was let go because Sam Williams was a better backup. Now he finds himself at Parra where he is behind Luke Kelly. Now I understand Stuart and Arthur are solely responsible for our lack of success in recent years :roll: but surely they must know something about the players they coach?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Imo Kelly was awful in that second half, but he didn't cost us the game.

Not having our first choice halves cost us.

yy_cheng

Coach
So who can kick besides Norman and Foran?

Gutho? Gordon?

BA should've restructured to get whoever can kick get involved instead of putting all the pressure on a backup

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No it's not hard at all. Research is easy thanks to the internet. You could even have done it yourself:

So who can kick besides Norman and Foran?

Gutho? Gordon?

BA should've restructured to get whoever can kick get involved instead of putting all the pressure on a backup

Jennings and Gutherson both took a long kick in the second half.

Sphagnum

Coach
I don't blame Kelly for the loss. I just hate it when he plays because he is awful. Hopefully we don't have to se him again for awhile.

Broncos too good. Thought as a whole Parra's performance was very encouraging.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
As long as Broncos form holds up, overall I reckon eels look pretty good compared to a lot of the losers/winners this week. Especially considering our halves , watmough / wicks were out.

Probably the only side so far we could struggle against is the dogs. Cowboys / sharks look ok but reckon we can match them.

Roosters / manly won't go as good as expected by some. Warriors are fringe 8 I reckon and Tigers will go better then expected.

Chipmunk

Coach
As long as Broncos form holds up, overall I reckon eels look pretty good compared to a lot of the losers/winners this week. Especially considering our halves , watmough / wicks were out.

Probably the only side so far we could struggle against is the dogs. Cowboys / sharks look ok but reckon we can match them.

Roosters / manly won't go as good as expected by some. Warriors are fringe 8 I reckon and Tigers will go better then expected.

Matching any side on any given week has never been Parra's problem in the last couple of years. Performing better than our opponents of the week for more than half the games in a season has been their issue.

Eelogical

Referee
After reading many pages of dribble I can only ascertain the following from the posts provided. In essence, we are only competitive if our best 17 is on the park. If not, we can all look forward to endless pages about scapegoats, backups and the likes. Also, the fishing here is bountiful. Pou (amongst others) is a fisherman. Just throw out a line and see who takes the bait.

Swiftstylez

Bench
eh?

Gordon, Jennings, Gutherson, Scott, Edwards & Pritchard (mainly injured in the past).

It is quite different. You can even throw in Alvaro because he hasnt been there that long

It isn't that different in terms of quality to when we were poor apart from the halfback. Hayne, hopoate, watmough, lussick, hindmarsh, are all easily substituted for any player there listed at their best. If you look at the team as a whole the only thing to be excited about is

A) Players like tepai hitting their strides

B) Foran getting the most out of the teams potential quality

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
After reading many pages of dribble I can only ascertain the following from the posts provided. In essence, we are only competitive if our best 17 is on the park. If not, we can all look forward to endless pages about scapegoats, backups and the likes. Also, the fishing here is bountiful. Pou (amongst others) is a fisherman. Just throw out a line and see who takes the bait.

I don't think missing players from our top 17 will be an automatic loss, but if we had to play without any two players, our halves would be the biggest loss.

I'd say most clubs would be in the same boat. Suppose we had Foran and Norman, and the Broncos were missing Hunt and Milford.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It isn't that different in terms of quality to when we were poor apart from the halfback. Hayne, hopoate, watmough, lussick, hindmarsh, are all easily substituted for any player there listed at their best. If you look at the team as a whole the only thing to be excited about is

A) Players like tepai hitting their strides

B) Foran getting the most out of the teams potential quality

Tbh, Hayne is irreplaceable.