What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does Jack Wighton rank amongst all NRL players ever?

Bronco18

Juniors
Then it was decided he was too talented to be out wide and they tried to wedge him into the halves/fullback where he has never looked like a genuine ball player.

Some players just suit certain positions and Wighton has never looked like more than a centre/wing, and he could of been a very good one of those.

Spot on. There's a bit of a trend for coaches to put their "best player" at fullback simply to get their hands on the ball more often but it can really hamper their development.

C. Norman going there for extended periods because he had a good pass was another example, but he couldn't compete in all the one-on-one situations required at fullback. Only recently have we seen the best of him at 5/8th. Ferguson starting the year there and Bird trialling there are other examples that come to mind.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Wightons pass was the one that got intercepted but IMO Rapana's was even worse , What he was thinking I will never know

It wasn't just that final pass though. He was horrendous all game. In fact all season.

His inept performances at fullback the last couple of years have been building to last nights crescendo.

He is without doubt the worst fullback in the comp.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He was pretty good last year. His ceiling is poor mans josh dugan but he was good enough last year. This year he has been poor

some11

Referee
You just knew the crumpet was going to do something stupid by the geniused way he returned the ball from the failed Benji FG attempt.

Wighton is a first-rate crumpet.

This. He looked determined to throw a stupid pass or try a chip 'n chase in the dying seconds of the game and then again in GP

99% of players in the comp would've lumbered the ball up and taken the tackle to give their teammates, who are gassed, a rest.

But no, he had to go try something fancy and join the 1%

Walt Flanigan

Referee
99% of players in the comp would've lumbered the ball up and taken the tackle to give their teammates, who are gassed, a rest.

But no, he had to go try something fancy and join the 1%

To be fair, Rapana upped the percentage a bit.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Rapana is just lucky that it was wighton who threw the last pass. His pass was just as dumb.

The raiders have had some dumb players that people like to bag out. I've never seen a player like fergo or Bj do anything near as dumb as that whole play. I'm sure Bj will up the ante next week.

--Storm--

Juniors
On paper many predicted a Top 4 finish for the Raiders if they had a decent FB they'd probably be up there as we speak.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Wightons pass was the one that got intercepted but IMO Rapana's was even worse , What he was thinking I will never know

We will forgive Jordan. He's been one of our best in 2016.
But whigton has been playing Like an old mole for weeks now
On top of last nights effort

It's time he was shaking hands with the mounties coach

betcats

Referee
Rapana is just lucky that it was wighton who threw the last pass. His pass was just as dumb.

The raiders have had some dumb players that people like to bag out. I've never seen a player like fergo or Bj do anything near as dumb as that whole play. I'm sure Bj will up the ante next week.

I swear Rapana could of just as easily thrown a normal pass.

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
I just don't understand why he tried some sort of miracle play. Take the tackle and you get the ball back in the exact same position after the restart with a full set of 6.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
jack wighton's manager contacted me and asked if we wanted to sign him.

i said 'pass'.

i'll show myself out.

mongoose

Coach
He was developing into a quality centre a few years ago but i don't think he's a fullback. He can handle the defensive side of it but he adds nothing in attack.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Hia defence has gone backwards too imo.

The guy has good timing if he can get one on one with an attacker but he isnt great at holding folks up

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I just don't understand why he tried some sort of miracle play. Take the tackle and you get the ball back in the exact same position after the restart with a full set of 6.

Now lets be fair.
He did have a full set of 6 when he made this play as well.
The problem was the siren has gone