What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
With Parker gone the Bronc's will be able to keep and upgrade Gillet while sign Inglis and Semi and still have money to chase another top quality off contact player.....

strider

Post Whore
With Parker gone the Bronc's will be able to keep and upgrade Gillet while sign Inglis and Semi and still have money to chase another top quality off contact player.....

Pretty much sums it up ... their big names are not on the cap for much, until they retire at which stage it frees up huge amounts of cap space to sign other big names

Incorrect

Coach
Pretty much sums it up ... their big names are not on the cap for much, until they retire at which stage it frees up huge amounts of cap space to sign other big names

Yep. If you asked a Bonco fan yesterday how much Parker was going to be on in 2017 and 2018 on his new deal, they would have said "Oh not much, he's probably on the books for 300-350K a year, the rest of TPA's"

But ask the same fan today after it emerges he's retiring how much this frees up for next year and beyond, the answer is "Mate, he was about to sign a deal worth somewhere between 800K and 900K. We should be able to make an offer to Hayne, Radradra and SBW for 2017 now"

ash411

Bench
How can a club include TPA money as part of their offer if they aren't allowed to organise TPAs?

This has always intrigued me..

How can a club include TPA money as part of their offer if they aren't allowed to organise TPAs?

This has always intrigued me..

They can't.

But what it seems they are doing is having a memorandum under which they say they will put the player in touch we people who want to support our players (after they've signed....of course).

Still dodgy....particularly when they put numbers into the deal.

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon if NRL put spotlight on Boncos, Parker's retirement would actually free up 3 times the salary cap for them

oldmancraigy

Coach
They can't.

But what it seems they are doing is having a memorandum under which they say they will put the player in touch we people who want to support our players (after they've signed....of course).

Still dodgy....particularly when they put numbers into the deal.

That memorandum is actually illegal. They can't do that can they? If TPAs are used as an incentive to sign, then you get busted....

As long as you don't get caught it is all good I suppose....

ash411

Bench
That memorandum is actually illegal. They can't do that can they? If TPAs are used as an incentive to sign, then you get busted....

This is my point, and they talk about it all the time like it's a done thing, people are always saying X club singed X players for $X + $X tpa

and X player is suing (or unhappy with) X club for unpaid tpas, If the clubs can't arrange tpas, why can a player go after a club for unpaid tpas, if they had nothing to do with them, right? but you hear it in the news all the time, from a bunch of clubs..

That's the question.....they cleared such a memorandum in the case of the Dogs/Fifita. It surprised me that clubs are able to put such 'best efforts' clauses in writing. Similar stuff appears to have occurred in our f**ked up negotiation with Hoppa.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ian possible CEO http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...a/news-story/1cf0f689abd9aa1cc72a60a793ec47da

Ian Schubert steps up at Eels in fight to keep Semi Radradra

The Australian
12:00AM June 20, 2016

Brent Read
Senior sports writer
Sydney

Former NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert has stepped up his role at embattled Parramatta, taking on the duties of an interim chief executive as the club finds itself knee-deep in a fight to retain star winger Semi Radradra from the lure of overseas rugby union.

Schubert, who had been working as a consultant with the Eels, has agreed to a request from the club’s board to expand his role while they continue to deal with the fallout from the salary cap scandal.

Schubert hasn’t ruled out taking on the chief executive role on a fulltime basis should it be offered down the track, but his immediate priority is resolving any issues around Radradra. The Fijian winger flew out of the country on Saturday amid speculation his head had been turned by offers from French rugby union giants Bordeaux and Toulon.

Radradra has been on the radar of rugby union for some time — only last month the media in France reported he was a contingency should Bordeaux miss out on French international Maxime Mermoz.

Schubert, having met with both the player and his manager George Christodoulou over the past week, remains confident Radradra will be back in Sydney by the weekend and eventually agree a new deal with the club. If such a deal is struck, there will be no provisions for a stint in overseas rugby union given the NRL would be unlikely to ratify a player switching between codes.

“We had a couple of meetings this week about Semi’s long-term future at the club,” Schubert said.

“His agent was adamant he was looking forward to a couple of extra years here. He likes the place, he likes the players, he likes everything.

“If he hasn’t been fielding offers from French rugby, even the Boston Red Sox, I would be surprised. He is the best athlete in Australia at the moment.

“That’s the reality. What that does to players is it plays with their heads. They can get a bit distracted. For a bloke who has those distractions going on around him, he can still play some good footy.

“He is here until the end of 2017 anyway, but what we’re looking to do is up (his pay) and extend him. We’re still waiting to find out our exact position with the NRL.

“We’re working within those confines and boundaries but there is room there for Semi at our club for a long time.”

Radradra’s uncertain future shapes as the latest disaster for the club, which has been through hell this season. Coach Brad Arthur has remarkably kept his squad in finals contention despite the salary cap scandal that is likely to cost the club 12 premiership points.

The loss of Radradra — it is understood he has also been dealing with personal issues — would be terminal for the Eels’ slim hopes of finishing in the top eight.

The club is also yet to re-sign five-eighth Corey Norman, although all indications are he will stay beyond the end of the season.

“We have been speaking to his agent,” Schubert said.

“We would like to think we would sit down and do some serious stuff on that in the next week or two. Everything is depending on our submissions to the league.

“It was a fairly substantial document that we sent back in.”

Schubert said he was genuinely excited about the club’s future.

“I have offered to step in and keep the shop running until the end of the season until the club or the board decide what direction they want to take,” he said.

“I love my involvement in footy — always have. I didn’t think I would ever go to clubland after being at the NRL, but I have to say I have enjoyed it and there are a lot of good people there.

“They need some of the skills I have so we’re working OK at the moment. If we get our structure and corporate governance right, we can get Parramatta back to where they were in their heyday, if not better than that.”

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is my point, and they talk about it all the time like it's a done thing, people are always saying X club singed X players for $X + $X tpa

and X player is suing (or unhappy with) X club for unpaid tpas, If the clubs can't arrange tpas, why can a player go after a club for unpaid tpas, if they had nothing to do with them, right? but you hear it in the news all the time, from a bunch of clubs..

The player doesn't have a leg to stand on, but what it does is discourage other players from accepting any TPA component as an inducement to sign with that club.

So because our legit TPA providers renege as soon as there is a change of board, players and managers have to factor in not being able to rely on TPAs if they come here. They either want guarantees they will be paid, or they want more under the cap. Clubs like Brisbane or the Roosters are much more reliable with their associated TPA providers, so players/managers trust they will be paid and therefore accept less (under the cap) to sign there.

IMO this 100% constitutes an inducement to sign, even though the TPAs are technically at arms' length.

jk13

First Grade
Which makes the Andrew gee money interesting poo poo. All tpa's at bris aren't a certainty. A company may go bankrupt and can't meet the promise.

oldmancraigy

Coach

When the Raiders were matching our offer for Papali to keep him, Furner (I am quite sure I recall this correctly) said tht he would have to find third parties so they could make up the cash.

However, that's fine if it is just a way of subsidising the amount that goes against the cap OR if it is as a marquee TPA.
It is only dodgy if it is a TPA that is SUPPOSED to be independent of the club. Like the Storm and how they never arranged Cam Smiths Fox Sports gig :sarcasm: or Billys Rexona thing :crazy:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which makes the Andrew gee money interesting poo poo. All tpa's at bris aren't a certainty. A company may go bankrupt and can't meet the promise.

Then another has the opportunity to step up. I'm sure the player doesn't care which business pays his TPA.

jk13

First Grade
Cmon poo man, you're better than that. We're living in tough business times, sometimes the money just ain't there.

I must admit Schubert has been impressive so far if he can keep the rest of team together after the current departures and sign Hayne .... give him a permanent job in admin.

Schubert's got knowledge we could use but I'm worried that he may still have too much respect for the salary cap, after all he spent nearly 20 years policing it. We need someone who is prepared to put their heart and soul into the kind of cheating that our club needs to be competitive. Our new CEO needs to understand that the NRL don't punish you for cheating, they punish you for getting caught. They know perfectly well that most clubs are cheating and, as long as they are discreet about it, are just fine with it. Better than fine actually, as it helps to keep the star players in the game. So I think we need to do what's good for our club and for the game, and aim to be the best cheats the game has never seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.