What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Coach
When the Raiders were matching our offer for Papali to keep him, Furner (I am quite sure I recall this correctly) said tht he would have to find third parties so they could make up the cash.

However, that's fine if it is just a way of subsidising the amount that goes against the cap OR if it is as a marquee TPA.
It is only dodgy if it is a TPA that is SUPPOSED to be independent of the club. Like the Storm and how they never arranged Cam Smiths Fox Sports gig :sarcasm: or Billys Rexona thing :crazy:

I'd say that club's could actually sort out deals for players with Nine and Fox and that wouldn't be considered under the cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cmon poo man, you're better than that. We're living in tough business times, sometimes the money just ain't there.

Agreed. It's not an endless pot of money, just some pots are (much) bigger than others.

As for the reliability of TPAs, I'd suggest that businesses start reducing the amount of their player sponsorships (i.e. TPAs) long before they go broke. The Broncos would have a good idea how reliable their TPA providers are going to be.

Last edited:

T.S Quint

Coach
Schubert's got knowledge we could use but I'm worried that he may still have too much respect for the salary cap, after all he spent nearly 20 years policing it. We need someone who is prepared to put their heart and soul into the kind of cheating that our club needs to be competitive. Our new CEO needs to understand that the NRL don't punish you for cheating, they punish you for getting caught. They know perfectly well that most clubs are cheating and, as long as they are discreet about it, are just fine with it. Better than fine actually, as it helps to keep the star players in the game. So I think we need to do what's good for our club and for the game, and aim to be the best cheats the game has never seen.

This.
If cheating is the only way to get ahead in this game, then I'm all for it.
Just be smarter about it this time.

Last Week

Bench
This.
If cheating is the only way to get ahead in this game, then I'm all for it.
Just be smarter about it this time.

Nup. I disagree. I'd rather have integrity. The Bulldogs 02 and Storm 12 premierships will always be tainted. I don't want to see my first Eels premiership with that in the back of my mind.

i'm wondering how this extra 650k on the cap will work are all those TPA's null & void now?
or do the sponsors still have to pay that money but it goes into the cap instead of on top of it

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
i'm wondering how this extra 650k on the cap will work are all those TPA's null & void now?
or do the sponsors still have to pay that money but it goes into the cap instead of on top of it

Because we've guaranteed it, if the sponsors don't pay, we will have to. And because it now comes under our cap we may as well pay and save the TPA for future years.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
They can't.

But what it seems they are doing is having a memorandum under which they say they will put the player in touch we people who want to support our players (after they've signed....of course).

Still dodgy....particularly when they put numbers into the deal.

This is my read of exactly what the Eels board were trying to do (based on the leaked board minutes transcripts and low resolution image of the "Undisclosed Payments Register")

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The thing is, if the player/manager has found a legit TPA sponsor and entered an agreement then the sponsor has to pay, if the player has fulfilled his side of the agreement. This has nothing to do with the NRL, it is law.

I think where the players/managers whinge about not getting their TPA money is where they were unable to find a provider, despite introductions from the club. In this case the players/managers are complaining that there was no TPA in the first place, not that a TPA sponsor failed to pay. Or it could have been a nod/wink deal with no paperwork, and the TPA provider has pulled the offer when his mates got backstabbed and ditched. Anyone that close to the club would be connected to a faction.

This is my read of exactly what the Eels board were trying to do (based on the leaked board minutes transcripts and low resolution image of the "Undisclosed Payments Register")

The potential difference concerns the identity of the TP. In our case, it is alleged to have been an entity that was in some was associated with out club (e.g. it was a supplier). There is also an allegation that we channeled club funds directly to the TP to cover the cost of TPs.

In other circumstances, the TPs that the club may direct a player to, may not be associates or sponsors of the club.

Last Week

Bench
I'm not going to succumb to paranoia. All well and good to say everyone cheats, but prove it.

We've been caught. I don't particularly want our illegally assembled squad to achieve success. Not because of the rest of the teams. f**k them. But rather, I'd feel cheated because it'd be as if we didn't earn it legitimately. It'd be an empty feeling.

I'll wait for as long as I need. I know that a legitimate premiership will be worth it.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
The potential difference concerns the identity of the TP. In our case, it is alleged to have been an entity that was in some was associated with out club (e.g. it was a supplier). There is also an allegation that we channeled club funds directly to the TP to cover the cost of TPs.

In other circumstances, the TPs that the club may direct a player to, may not be associates or sponsors of the club.

Yes, but I don't think that was the intention of the board. I think that's stuff that they inherited, either from Edwards or Seward and failed to disclose once they found about it. From what I can decipher, all the board was trying to do was set up the Premiership club, ie. an avenue for players to be introduced to sponsors and to keep introducing them to more potential sponsors until the required "quota" of TPA was reached for that player. As per the minutes, sailing as close to breaking the rules as possible, but given the ambiguity in the wording of the rules, could argue either way whether it's legal or not.

Avenger

Immortal
You guys suggesting we cheat better next time are pathetic. Integrity should be placed above all.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hey Avenger inagine if it was the dogs who cheated.....What would the Parra faithfull on here be saying?

Avenger

Immortal
The Dogs and Storm copped it big time and were eradicated by the NRL for the whole season. Sensationally we can still make the 8. We got off lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.