What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hodkinson

FlameThrower

Bench
Not very exciting but an upgrade on McCrone.. and thew goalkicking would be massive..

Assumably he would be fairly cheap.. though surely we have money to spend somewhere.. with all these cheapies.

Another day, another player linked to us..Croonk $1m per season, Norman $750K, Keary $450K, so what is Honkinson price$???

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
Fair enough. I just don't see Hodkinson offering any flair or adventure in attack. He doesn't light up a backline. He doesn't run much. He doesn't create many opportunities. He kicks well, but predictably. To me he's a solid player rather than a great one, and as such doesn't add much to what we already have.

Sums him up pretty well.

Does not fill me with excitement particularly paired with Widdop as they are both similar in that they are methodical rather than brilliant.

Widdop/Norman even Hodko/Norman I could see working.

It's a no from me for Hodko, just not what we need paired with Widdop if the intention is to keep him.

Twenty10

Juniors
Marshall and widdop are the same player. Both runners. We need a controlling half back who can kick. That's why Hodkinson is targeted.

Dragsters

First Grade
They are both ball runners because they are both true 6's but for mine that's where the similarity ends.

I think where they differ greatly is that Marshal has attacking flair and X-factor and Widdops game relies more on method and precision.

I agree that a true half would be the preference but I just don't think that Hodko is the man to be paired with Widdop.

Last edited:

St Georgio

Juniors
It is a matter of Patients when it come to finding a Champion number 7, unlike many here..I am not giving up on Benji to do something special in the Short term!

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
A few things to consider to allow everyone to make an informed opinion..
1. Knights have cap issues...god knows how??
2. Brown doesn't rate hodkinson as long term option to build a team around and wants to blood some of the young halves so would be likely to let hodkinson leave
3. Dragons want Hodkinson for next season although he's still got 2 years left on his Knights contract, so trying to broker a deal whereby Knights continue to pay some of hodkinsons rumoured 600k a season
4. Hodkinson has been woeful for the Knights, but the jury is out in whether it's him or the lack of talent around him
5. Hodkinsons knee is really, really bad.... And won't ever get better just continue to degenerate ...

Based on the above I agree with brownies logic, and this isn't a halfback I would be wanting to build a team around... Very short term thinking by the dragons which is rather annoying... Recruitment strategy still looking for that magic quick fix rather than demonstrating any long term vision or strategy...

St Georgio

Juniors
a few things to consider to allow everyone to make an informed opinion..
1. Knights have cap issues...god knows how??
2. Brown doesn't rate hodkinson as long term option to build a team around and wants to blood some of the young halves so would be likely to let hodkinson leave
3. Dragons want hodkinson for next season although he's still got 2 years left on his knights contract, so trying to broker a deal whereby knights continue to pay some of hodkinsons rumoured 600k a season
4. Hodkinson has been woeful for the knights, but the jury is out in whether it's him or the lack of talent around him
5. Hodkinsons knee is really, really bad.... And won't ever get better just continue to degenerate ...

Based on the above i agree with brownies logic, and this isn't a halfback i would be wanting to build a team around... Very short term thinking by the dragons which is rather annoying... Recruitment strategy still looking for that magic quick fix rather than demonstrating any long term vision or strategy...

i agree, we don't need him AT ALL!

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
After watching the Knights game today, when the game was there to be won, he couldn't deliver the knock-out blow.

IMO he is an upgrade from McCrone but not on Benji.

No thanks

Now the Cowboys game and see if Thompson is any better (although he's playing 6)

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Realistically for the supposed number 7 options for next year: Ray Thompson, Widdop and put Mann at six, hodhkinson, Hutchison, dufty and Norman. We won't get Cronk so skip that. Maybe it's the Queenslander in me but it's Norman and Thompson who I would like. If it stays in house, Widdop to seven and Mann and hutch fight it out for six. I really think Widdop could make it as a 7. Oh yeah, benji as well. Love the lad and will reserve judgement t after manly.

mickeylane

Bench
Yes please!
Only problem the knee but perfect halfback
No heroics
Great defender
Gun goal kicker - 84%
Great passer
Good communicator
Good old fashion number 7.

Coffs dragon

Bench
The fact he's played at the Sea Eagles, Bulldogs, Knights and none of them have fought to keep him tells me beware.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Sea eagles had Foran and DCE coming thru = valid
Bulldogs chose Reynolds and Moses
Newcastle have massive issues with the payments in their backline and no money for forwards and they believe in their emerging half coming thru

RedVDragon

Juniors
Brown can't coach so why would a top class player like Trent want to stay at Newcastle. Trent try to get out of Newcastle before Browny slaps you.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
Don't know why there so persistent to not re sign benji, the guys better than hodgo and would be alot cheaper too for another year.

gitano

Juniors
Brown can't coach so why would a top class player like Trent want to stay at Newcastle. Trent try to get out of Newcastle before Browny slaps you.

This stuff always makes me laugh. Browny is a great coach, who is doing the hard yards and actually building a side.

I've said it before, the easy thing for him to do would be go and buy a bunch of proven 30 year olds. Much like uncle Wayne did up there..
Where would the knights be in a few years though? Back where they are now.

Wayne did nothing for them yet rides into the sunset, to the helm of a gun side. There's where the blame should fall for where the Knights are.

Browny can take huge credit for our 2010 win. Yet he won't get any.
Funnily enough Wayne will get all the plaudits, rightly or wrongly.

He's the right man for the job up there. Just currently wearing the hurt from years of no succession planning and awful management.

Anyway, back on topic, it's a yes for Hokko. He'll straighten us up. Can't be having two crabs in the halves.

kit66

Bench
We're already one of the most boring teams in the comp, Hodkinson would just make us worse. We need a half with a seriously good kicking game, long kicks and short attacking kicks and a dynamic running game. Hodkinson is predictable and mundane and if we had him and Widdop at 7 and 6 we'd be lucky to get out of our half let alone score any tries. No thanks.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I would still prefer Jackson Hastings than this one legged plodder. Both have good kicking games, yet Hastings has youth and 2 good knees on his side. Just not sure if their are still issues with Young & Hornby as his old coaches in NYC.....build a bridge maybe!!!

Latest posts