What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly Sea Eagles and Blacktown Workers Venture

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...wn-workers-20160705-gpz1zm.html#ixzz4DZlnxGBA

Sea Eagles shed Silvertails tag in venture with Blacktown Workers

Blacktown Workers have become the feeder club for Manly in a landmark agreement that will result in the Silvertails playing games at, and taking players from, traditional Fibro territory.
The Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles from next season will be the home for dropped and aspiring Manly players in the Intrust Super Premiership.

Those Sea Eagles players not part of coach Trent Barrett's top 17 will call H.E. Laybutt Fields home in a joint-venture agreement that already allows players to flow to and from the top team to the feeder from June 30.

As of next year, the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles will make the step up from being Penrith's third-string feeder club to Manly's official reserves team as part of a new-look NSWRL-run competition. The arrangement will give Manly a footprint in a region that has traditionally been "Fibros" territory and provide a new pool of playing talent to nurture and choose from.

reanimate

Bench
What on Earth are the Penns doing? Fight to get the North Shore under our banner instead of striking these weird deals that do nothing for our own junior systems.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
It certainly helps Blacktown Workers, but a weird move really.

I take it the Under 20s and Intrust Super in NSW will continue as normal till at least 2018.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What on Earth are the Penns doing? Fight to get the North Shore under our banner instead of striking these weird deals that do nothing for our own junior systems.

I generally dont mind weird associations, but this on shits me...

What is the point of a North Shore team if they arent even going to work in the North Shore.

Honestly, the furthers West they can reasonably go is Ryde....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Since when has blacktown ever been Wests territory?

Side note:

I still think the Post-SL merge that made the most sense was Penrith and Wests...

Western Sydney Panthers in Black-White covering WS from Penrith/Blacktown down to Camden/Campbeltown.

Anyway, a kid can dream. Back to shitting on the Silvertails!!!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Was there any feeder relationship between peninsula seagulls in RMC and manly? Also were will this leave the manly junior district, will the under 20 side now find their way out to boacktown? The NSW cup is quickly turning into the west sydney cup and its very unhealthy for the game

siv

First Grade
NSWRL NRL Penrith and Parramatta should put a stop to this Sydney West cannibalism

What about a NSW regional team ?

Time for a National RG - NSW Cup as Reserve Grade is becoming a farce

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
NSWRL NRL Penrith and Parramatta should put a stop to this Sydney West cannibalism

What about a NSW regional team ?

Time for a National RG
- NSW Cup as Reserve Grade is becoming a farce

But a national RG would lock out regional teams permanently...

I agree the the NSW Cup is a shit set up, but locking out any location that doesnt have an NRL team is nuts!!

CC_Roosters

First Grade

I agree the the NSW Cup is a shit set up, but locking out any location that doesnt have an NRL team is nuts!!

Mt thoughts on reserve grade are that it should be state based and let the clubs have their own brand or an affiliate like Souths/Norths as current. I think their is then an opportunity to have 3rd tier state wide competition as the next level of feeders into the NRL pathway. This would be a morphing of the current Ron massey cup to include sides from key regional cities like Tamworth ,Dubbo, Coffs and Wagga. Some sort of central grant would be appropriate to make the competition viable.

The main aim would be to keep NYC graduates and fringe squad players in a pathway aligned to an NRL club on a state wide basis. Hopefully over time it would improve the depth of the pro player pool. To me the current RMC should be relegated to the fourth step in the pyramid as the Sydney metro comp that it is.

Really my proposal should have been what the "platinum league" proposal resembled, rather than a replacement of the state cup which was never going to sit well with the powerhouse Sydney clubs

The Undertaker

Juniors
I'm with Reanimate on this.
We should be using ( for want of a better word) kids from our own junior system.
There is some outstanding talent here on the northern beaches.

siv

First Grade

There are two objectives - they need two solutions

National RG sorts out the issue where players 19- 36 NRL professional players play in a professional arrangement

THEN NSW Cup and QLD Cup can become the Tier 2 league with all clubs on a level playing field

Without NRL clubs leaves multiple slots where NSW Country divisions can slot in

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
There are two objectives - they need two solutions

National RG sorts out the issue where players 19- 36 NRL professional players play in a professional arrangement

THEN NSW Cup and QLD Cup can become the Tier 2 league with all clubs on a level playing field

Without NRL clubs leaves multiple slots where NSW Country divisions can slot in

But a NSW Cup without the Reserve players and with a comp above it would drain so much prestige and attention from the State Championship level.

And the cost of travel for a National RG side would be huge with not much in the way of benefit. Why pit Newcastle against NQLD when just as many people would go to seen to see a Newcastle vs Dubbo with a fraction of the input cost.

Sure you could argue that the quality of the State Championship would be far lower than a National RG, but thats what the NRL is for...

siv

First Grade
You could argue that RM Cup is a lower standard than NSW Cup with the same argument

Yes for a 2 years NSW Cup standard will drop. But when a 2 years of fresh u20s graduate that drop will be addressed

The other advantage for NSW Cup sides is that they can play within their means. It also stop the likes of Norths Newtown or a NSW Country rep team trying to compete with a NRL budgeted club which they cant and play in a semi-profesional format.

In reverse it allows a NRL club to have players 18 to 36 playing in a professional league. As grants will continue to go up. From $7 mil to $14 mil over the next 5 years. They will have the means to fund a $2 mil National RG side

These NSW Cup clubs struggle today with $500k budgets against NRL $1 mil budgets. It will be impossible in 5 years time against $2 mil budgets

In regards to trevel costs all the NRL needs to do is add a travel allowance factor into the grants calculation