What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best NSW players to never play representative football?

GW.

Juniors
GW here,

About ten years ago there was a thread started that gripped the forum about the best players who had never played rep football. I personally was just an LU reader and not a member back then so I didn't contribute.

It was an engaging debate that went for pages and pages. I don't know how to search through old threads with the new update, but it needs an updated edition to reflect modern times.

Back then, by disputed decision, Luke Burt was deemed to be the best of the rest.

Given how easy it is for a quality QLDer to miss rep duties, due to no City v Country equivalent (think Barba, Sandow,Hunt etc) I will keep it to NSW only.

I have two rules.

1. The player must be a current player. Otherwise members here can quote any old 70s rugnut that fits the bill but no one has heard of or remembers.

and,

2. The player must have played at least FIFTY NRL games. This is to scratch any flash in the pan thugs that came and went, or new kids on the block who are destined, but their time hasnt come yet. Trbojevic for example.

My personal answer without delving too hard into it is Jeff Robson. Every year his name is thrown in the mix justabout, but his no frills style of play just doesnt seem to cut the representative mustard and is always overlooking for other rugs to riches stories on the horizon.

A good tool to help your analysis is Zero tackles player eligibility tool, found below. Not sure how accurate it is.
http://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/player-eligibility/#OiTykyx6jZE0hY2C.97

As a sidenote, You'd also be surprised just how few players the pool is to pick from per state. Blame the pom and Kiwi invasion LOL!!

azzah72

Bench
I was going to say Lachlan Coote but I think he's done a city vs country and a prime minister's team so I suppose that rules him out.

So I'd go Shaun Fensom

Lambretta

First Grade
I would exclude City v Country from this and just make it Origin
Logic? No one gives a flying f*** about City v Country and no one can remember who bloody represented without a Google search

Did Todd Carney play Origin? Jeez he was a good player - but he just kept falling short or f**king up. In an era where NSW were desperate for play makers - how he managed to f**k up so badly he wasn't a staple of the side took some doing

Chris Heighington ended up choosing to play for England as he was never getting picked for NSW as we had 75 back rowers and nothing else

John Sutton - NSW always lacked play makers and had 2nd rowers galore. Sutton was an obvious choice to play lock as he could fill in at half should whichever talentless hack chosen to play there got injured, but Gallen was filling up the lock forward position and taking every tackle he could for a "settler" and blowing any momentum in attack we could muster. Well that and Luke Lewis was better so we chose him instead.

I was going to say Robbie Farah - but by the time he was well past his best NSW picked him. Huzzah.

Sonny Bill Williams. Well if f**king James Tamou is in the side - why didn't we pick the better Kiwi?

Shaun "I'm another 2nd rower, I've heard you're short on them" Fensom

Greg Inglis.................... f**king Queensland

GW.

Juniors
Fensom is a sick choice for this.

Sezer played CVC this year didnt he?

Meth

Staff member
Canberra Raiders players have a history of being overlooked for Origin, don't they?

The name Luke Davico comes to mind

Last edited:

Latest posts