What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamie Lyon comments last night

I can't believe nothing has been made of this... Basically accused the referee of cheating. Straight out. Wasn't even implied, he made a straight up allegation that the referee's were trying to get Souths over the line.

Should have been sent to the bin and he should also cop a fine from the NRL.

If he says the same thing in the post match he'd get a $20k fine. In my opinion, making that allegation on field and directly to the referee is even worse than post match.

The referee who copped it last night was piss weak and the NRL are even worse if they don't drag him over the coals post match, for it. You can't allow a player to make that sort of allegation and get away with it.

Danish

Referee
He said, "it feels like you are trying to get them back into the game" to one of the refs after the Burgess "No Try" call.

Should have been at least binned, if not sent off. Pretty major dissent.

papabear

Juniors
I agree with the OP
Jamie Lyon should have been binned, instead the refs decided to even it up for him.

Souths should feel hard done by.

The Marshall

Juniors
I thought there was a "line in the sand" about referee respect after James Graham and Klemmer last year? There has been nothing done about it since.

I agree with the OP
Jamie Lyon should have been binned, instead the refs decided to even it up for him.

Souths should feel hard done by.

To be honest, it's not even about the result. We are done and dusted for the season anyway so most of us Souths fans have gone beyond the point of caring about the result.

The fact is, a captain of an NRL team called a referee a cheat, face to face and the ref's microphone picked it up so the whole world heard it. The ref then acknowledged that he heard it because he told Lyon to "be careful".

Then he did nothing more about it and the NRL have done nothing about it since.

It set's a horrible precedent because if nothing is done about it then it's ok to call the ref a cheat as long as it's done on the field.

It should never be ok to accuse a referee of cheating. If Barrett or Maguire do so half an hour later in the post match presser then they cop a fine so why was it ok for Lyon to make that accusation? If Lyon himself says it in the press conference then he cops a fine.

At no time during or after the game, should it be ok for an NRL player or coach to publicly call a referee a cheat. Just as it shouldn't be ok if it happens during a game of NSW cup or under 20's or even under 10's.

If you call a referee a cheat on the field, in a press conference or even just on public record with a journalist or on tv in an interview you should face sanctions.

If it's on field you should be sent to the bin and you should cop a fine. If it's outside of the game but on record then you should cop a fine.

Simple as that.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
It's a tactic that's been worded differently by pretty much every captain in the game. I've heard much worse from Ennis.

Pommy

Coach
The NRL just shows how all over the place they are, simply touching a ref on the shoulder is pretty much classed as assualt whilst accusing him of cheating is perfectly OK.

Last edited:

Disco

Bench
He didn't accuse anyone of cheating he simply said it "seemed" that way.

He was just being helpful and letting them know the perception, what a great guy!!!!

Seriously though, players should get 10 in the bin for comments like that and I am a Manly fan

BTown324

Juniors
Proves the theory that the referee's don't listen to the players when they converse. It's something that players have known for a while and now it's clear they're right because if that ref listened he would've (should've) sent Jamie Lyon off instantly to the bin.

Referring needs a complete overhaul and until then we will look amateurish in that aspect along with millions of others.

gunpk

Juniors
I agree that referees should be stronger and sin bin players who talk to them like that but there are some players who get away with talking to the refs like that all the time. Thurston, Smith, Ennis etc

Latest posts