What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Mr Red

First Grade
Score 10 points and lose against a team who played worse than they've played in years = boys playing well.

Looks like Mary and Dousts spin is working...

When the dragons finally scored their first try the coaching staff were celebrating jumping around the coaching box, punching the air...You'd swear they just won the grand final..
It was pretty embarrassing to see such relief and jubilation after scoring a single try....especially when they were still losing

Red V for life

Juniors
Coops my dear boy, NO ONE wants to play for us. Leaving aside whether we have the right people in charge of retention and recruitment, when you have that kind of stain, recruitment and retention is going to be poor. Long story short, your solution won't work without meaningful change right throughout the club.

Let me preface this next bit by saying I think we need a new coach. However, there was an article in another thread questioning Doust's invisibility given the off field events and how it fell to Mary and Widdop to address the media. That got me thinking whether there is a possibility McGregor has not received everything he's asked for to help him do the job because let's face it, some of the decisions and inability to make change have defied all common sense.

In any event, the stain is over the club and all involved. We need a fresh start.

St Georgio

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...h/news-story/b2f937f1e8eb08dc65c307a5eb400611

Seems like an orchestrated campaign to shore up Mary's position.

Pathetic, really. So many contradictions it's not funny.

Mary's the right person to lead us out of form slump? But not responsible for getting us there in the first place.

Our recruitment is poor? Nothing to do with Mary's pulling power (aside from being an absolute wanker).

Great player now becomes dopey stooge.

Straight Shooter
Matt Cooper this!
Real Madrid Club In domestic football, the club has won a record 32,Domestically Barcelona has won 24 La Liga,
Bayern München has been the dominant club in German football with 26 titles and has won 8 of the last 12 titles,
Juventus is historically the most successful club in Italian football,Overall, they have won sixty-one official
titles on the national and international stage, more than any other Italian club,
Olympiacos also holds the record for the most consecutive Greek League titles,
as they are the only team to have won seven consecutive League titles (1997–2003),
having broken their own previous record of six consecutive from the club's trophy-laden era of the 50s (1954–1959),
when Olympiacos gained unequivocally the nickname of Thrylos (The Legend),43 League titles they have currently amassed!
In Soccer they sack there managers for not winning Titles, reality check for Matt Cooper!

thebigredv

First Grade
I just want to use the opportunity to thank our coach for our fourth loss in a row.

Keep it up Paul! :cool:

swolf11

Juniors
Oh NRL Heritage Round, take me back to a simpler time when Dragons were great

• Andrew Webster SMH
  • It's NRL Retro Round, baby, and it takes us back to a time when the jumpers were too big, Greg Hartley's shorts too small and an apple hit Rex Mossop in the side of the head during a post-grand final wrap.
It also takes some of us back to a time when a fat kid from the north coast was plonked in front of his parents' Rank Arena television, watching the State Bank Big Game, full of hopes and dreams and too many Redskins.
Tigers breeze past Dragons
The Wests Tigers have put aside a week of off-field drama to easily beat the Dragons, 25-12.
Modern-day gladiators in white jumpers emblazoned with a Red V would trot out onto Kogarah Oval and I adored them like a Star Wars action figure. loved Craig Young like he was my old man. I still get nervous when I'm in the company of Ricky Walford. My mum continues to have an unhealthy obsession with Michael O'Connor. Mick "The Penguin" Beattie. Steve Linnane. Patty Jarvis. Billy Noke. Graeme Wynn ...
  • And then there was the very serious looking bloke on the sidelines, leaning forward in a maroon spray jacket, the weight of the world seemingly on his shoulders as he watched through Mafia Don-like glasses: coach Roy Masters.
The players would trudge from the field at the end of the match, the white jumpers now covered in dirt and mud, and it didn't matter if they'd lost or won but how many rival forwards they successfully thwacked in the head.
Then they lost the 1985 grand final to those evil, evil, evil [expletives] from Canterbury and a harsh reality came to be.
Sometimes, as a Dragons supporter, you're Luke Skywalker. Sometimes, it feels like you have a terminal disease.

1469692185256.jpg

Despite the dramas, the Red V is a part of me, still.
Right now, we're at stage-four s---house. It's serious.

Oh, Dragons. What's happening? You're 11th on the ladder and only one win out of the top eight but I've seen pub sides with better attack on the field and you can't land a player off it.

You threw the bank at a player charged with drug possession, who was in the middle of a sex-tape scandal, who'd been warned by the cops for rubbing shoulders with bad people and he still didn't come.

I could sit here and bash out hundreds of words about chief executivePeter "Oust" Doust, about there being no accountability for frustrated members, about how WIN billionaire Bruce Gordon needs to buy the whole operation and secure the elusive Craig Bellamy-Cooper Cronk package deal.

But these words have been written and said for years, on either side of the 2010 grand final win. The banner in the stands on that beautiful night: "CHOKE ON THAT!" It seems an eternity ago.

Since then, the club has seen quality players leave for others. How the Morris twins, Brett and Josh, can be playing for the Bulldogs still staggers. So, too, Trent Merrin at Penrith.

1469675309041.png

Should still be at their home club: Former Dragons duo Brett and Josh Morris. Photo: Ken Robertson KRZ

With the greatest respect to Paul McGregor, he does not seem to have the pulling power of a top-line coach.

As one very high-profile player who is looking for a club told me this week: "I couldn't go there in a million years at the moment."

There's an argument the club needs to base itself out of Kogarah again instead of Wollongong, because prospective players want to live in Sydney. But this is a joint venture. Maybe they need to go back to splitting training time between Kogarah and Wollongong.

Whatever the solution, the club has slipped back into this apathetic mire of the odd spirited win here, a lot of bad losses there. A staleness has crept in and it shows in their footy.

The first half against the Wests Tigers last Sunday was as bad as it gets. Sometimes I want Benji Marshall gone; sometimes I think he's the best we've got.

Luckily, as St George Illawarra fans will attest, we're a resilient bunch. We've been hurt before. You don't lose grand finals via video referee in the last two minutes and learn a little bit about yourself and about rugby league.

But if there was ever any sign that things could not get any worse, it comes with this single, sobering statistic ...

Cronulla have won 15 in a row and are favourites to win the comp.

Somebody, please, kill me now.

Graeme Bradley was the penguin not Michael Beattie

Emu01

Juniors
I just heard the coach on the radio saying "He is happy with the teams performance and with a little bit of luck we could have won the game".

Keep talking crap Paul! You might convince yourself but you won't convince us fans.

Just step down now please.

getsmarty

Immortal
I just heard the coach on the radio saying "He is happy with the teams performance and with a little bit of luck we could have won the game".

Keep talking crap Paul! You might convince yourself but you won't convince us fans.

Just step down now please.

Pity is the board will believe the spin. Wouldn't surprise me if after an end of season review they extend Mary's contract.

Tuddy

Juniors
As for McGregor saying the team has over achieved ........... only two people have over achieved in my opinion and that's him and Doust .......... and that's only because those two arse clowns somehow managed to rise to their current positions of employment, which clearly they are incapable of doing in anything like a reasonable fashion.

getsmarty

Immortal
I just want to use the opportunity to thank our coach for our fourth loss in a row.

Keep it up Paul! :cool:

Yep..gotta love these classic quotes from the press conference;

We Won the 2nd half 10 - 0 (yep. but we lost the game)
We can take a lot of satisfaction out of that (yep. but we lost the game)
We Played some attractive footy...(Really)
Overall I'm Happy (yep. but we lost the game)
Were still working on execution (really..after 21 rounds..what happened in the off season???)
Our starts were good this week and last week (yep. but we lost both games)

HOW LOW DO YOU WANT TO PUT THE BAR MARY????
Next he will be complimenting the players for just turning up and playing.

Sick and tired of Mary's spin..

OzDragon

Coach
Wasn't McGregor Prices assistant when he was in charge?

So we had a great coach, who left despite wanting to stay, who we then gave the HC position to his assistant, and when he failed (whodathunkit?) we give it to his assistant, Mary.

So our current head coach is the formers assistant's assistant.

John moz

Juniors
John Howard to be our next CEO will attract sponsors and is hard ball will bring professional staff to the club.

John moz

Juniors
Who will sack him doust wont because keeping mary around will keep the heat of himself. Mary has 5 games left this season .