What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
To be fair to Cleary and his coaching stats, the Warriors have shown over their history they're not the easiest team to coach in terms of getting consistency. I don't know why, but coach after coach after coach has tried and failed. I also believe he left to take the Panthers job and I also believe they tried to get him back when McFadden was doing his best Mary coaching impression.

As for what happened at Penrith, all politics for mine.
Politics certainly would have played a part. He got Penrith to the semi's in his first year and they looked genuine contenders. The year after they were absolutely knobbled by injuries. I always wondered whether Cleary's training methods contributed to the spate of injuries, and whether that was one of the reasons he was moved on.

FlameThrower

Bench
Believe it when I see it, but the Board and Doust have looked at next few games with no wins a high possibility. The savaging on social media by fans, the Dragons Facebook page am open wound of anger, media focus on debt, crowds and membership.
They need a circuit breaker, the Cleary to coach and Mary as assistant seems the conservative approach we would take.
Don't concern yourselves on stats, the Warriors are uncoachable. The Panthers were all in a massive mess with backend contracts, salary cap dramas, he came across to rebuild, Gus sorted the financials...got the centre of excellence built. He went well 1st season, but got smashed with Injury the next.. But he also unearthed a stack of young players who are all now playing regular FG. Plus his style of coaching...has attack...you know they score tries....remember those?
Even Bob your uncle can coach better than Mary, so anyone with a pulse is an upgrade...

BennyV

Referee
Lol so our current head coach, who got their by white-anting the previous head coach to whom he was assistant (a role he failed miserably in, much like every other role he's had within the club), has run out of excuses and is likely going to be forced out of his role, only to be put BACK to the assistant role that he previous failed miserably in?!

Only at Dragons!!!

On the plus side, hopefully Cleary has enough of a clue to listen to Demetriou more than any other assistant at the club.

*Assuming this actually happens, which I struggle to believe.

SaintHarry

Juniors
I like the fact Mary will remain assistant, it shows that he is a quality person by accepting the role, hê is a better coach than Price was and Price is the assistant at the Sharks. Mary does have a solid D background.

I dont think its a good thing that he'd stick around its a conflict of interest despite being an assistant he was head coach once upon a time if he steps down he should completely remove himself we dont need his influence around the players anymore he tried his best now thanks for coming.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
I dont think its a good thing that he'd stick around its a conflict of interest despite being an assistant he was head coach once upon a time if he steps down he should completely remove himself we dont need his influence around the players anymore he tried his best now thanks for coming.

Breaking news
Paul McGregor today confirmed the announcement that for 2017 he will be the assistant to the assistant at Cronulla. He will be fully responsible for cutting the oranges for Price who then will hand them out to the playing group. Price is said to be relieved at the reduction in his duties as 2016 had been very stressful both cutting and handing out the oranges. McGregor was excited to be in the D role of orange cutter and was not considered for the handing out role as it would show too much flair to have to walk around and hand out the oranges.

Dragonscales

Juniors
Why the f**k do people want Kevin Walters for.

He's a better coach than Daley but still shows signs of naivete, amateurism and modern rugby league illiteracy.

He's won one SOO series against a woeful NSW side with a team containing Thurston, Cronk, Inglis, Boyd, Scott, Papalii, Gillett and Cameron Smith.

getsmarty

Immortal
If this happens, what becomes of Demetriou ? Mary has well and truly thrown him under the bus. The club should show some leadership and Cut Mary altogether. He is the problem along with the board. Of course, it will not happen.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If this happens, what becomes of Demetriou ? Mary has well and truly thrown him under the bus. The club should show some leadership and Cut Mary altogether. He is the problem along with the board. Of course, it will not happen.

This is the big issue in all of this for me.
IMO Demetriou has to stay as the attacking coach and ciach of the Cutters. There are a lot of juniors coming into NSW cup next year who need a coach that will continue their development.
Young and Hornby are the ones who should be moved on or at keast split up. Maybe 1 od them as Demetriou's assistant....they might learn something.
I don't want McGregor anywhere near our juniors or interferring in another coaches role.
Let him be the "D" coach and give him 15 mins at training......that's about the same amount of time he afforded to Demetriou this year.

SBD82

Coach
From what I've seen of cleary he has the ability to develop young players to reach their potential. Something that has been sorely lacking in our club for several years.

I think he would make an excellent coach for a club that has such a wealth of junior talent.

Then again, I thought Mary would turn out to be a very good coach. So what the f**k would I know?

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Why the f**k do people want Kevin Walters for.

He's a better coach than Daley but still shows signs of naivete, amateurism and modern rugby league illiteracy.

He's won one SOO series against a woeful NSW side with a team containing Thurston, Cronk, Inglis, Boyd, Scott, Papalii, Gillett and Cameron Smith.

FTR I'm not one of the people calling for Walters to be head coach, but from all reports the guy knows his stuff. Plus he's one of the few former assistants to Wayne Bennett that Wayne HASN'T recommended take over as head coach, which means he's probably pretty good!

St Georgio

Juniors
And Bennett coached the Broncos to beat us twice in 92 and 93 so what's your point...we should never approach anyone who's better than us??
Valid point, funny you mentioned it, as I posted it, falling asleep Bennett popped to mind.
What I Iike about Cleary, he at least has done his apprenticeship with other Club as mentioned and taking the Warriors to a GF,
Price and McGregor were completely Rookies, I hope the club have realised that It does not pay to put on Rookies.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Cleary would be ideal as he has worked with teams and developed their juniors into quality players e.g Johnson, Moylan, Carty to name a few.

His record in win/loss may not be that impressive but getting Warriors to the GF and Panthers 1 game off a GF is very impressive as they were young developing squads at the time.

Dufty, Leulia,Milne etc will flourish under Cleary and I am sure he will develope a good half from the juniors like he did at the other clubs. CLeary even improved Sowards game which I thought would not be possible.

If Mary is the one to suggest this then I have the utmost respect for him as he has realised he is struggling and putting the club first. You cannot be sour about that. As for Demetriou he may still be around, it may just be the end for Hornby or Young. More like Hornby as Young has some pretty strong ties to the club.

FlameThrower

Bench
Cleary would be ideal as he has worked with teams and developed their juniors into quality players e.g Johnson, Moylan, Carty to name a few.

His record in win/loss may not be that impressive but getting Warriors to the GF and Panthers 1 game off a GF is very impressive as they were young developing squads at the time.

Dufty, Leulia,Milne etc will flourish under Cleary and I am sure he will develope a good half from the juniors like he did at the other clubs. CLeary even improved Sowards game which I thought would not be possible.

If Mary is the one to suggest this then I have the utmost respect for him as he has realised he is struggling and putting the club first. You cannot be sour about that. As for Demetriou he may still be around, it may just be the end for Hornby or Young. More like Hornby as Young has some pretty strong ties to the club.
I can live with this scenario...everyone saves face and the Club can move on.

BennyV

Referee
Depends on the detail. If Mary truly does slip back to assistant coach (or some other role, like Millward), then this is purely a selfish move - he can bow out without admitting any fault or failings of his own, head back to his comfort zone while still having an obviously negative influence on the coaching of the team. More than likely, hell try to worm his way back to head coaching in a few years, claiming he's learned a lot, served his apprenticeship, bla bla bla...