What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bruce Gordon take-over still on .

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Look Illawarra do provide a player base.Let it be known that St George Dragons remain an Iconic name and will just not go down the tubes.If so it will be a sad day for League and will result in a loss of a large game supporter base.If this is the basis of the Gordon offer we will PASS please.If need be just revert back to the Dragons.

Gareth67

First Grade
Without a doubt there will be some changes made that will not please all , and that goes for both the Board and supporters . Personally , anything that he can provide to alleviate the Clubs current financial situation can only help .

The fact that he a loyal Dragons supporter is a big plus .
This man may change many aspects of the day to day running of the Club as well as where future matches will be played , however he and his team will do it in a professional business like manner to ensure that the Club will not only makes a profit , but more importantly will be able to stand on its own two feet .

He needs a return on his outlay , and to do that he may need to reorganise the Clubs Management structure . At the end of the day the W.I.N. organisation are out to make a financial gain .

That may equate to 49% , 50% or 51% ownership of the Club , plus the $4 million debt that the Club owes to the NRL , and that takes a lot of money . This man is willing to do this .

I have not seen any other multi-millionaire put their hand up to help St.George Illawarra out ?

Of course , once again this all comes back to one word - " IF " the takeover occurs .

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Look Illawarra do provide a player base.Let it be known that St George Dragons remain an Iconic name and will just not go down the tubes.If so it will be a sad day for League and will result in a loss of a large game supporter base.If this is the basis of the Gordon offer we will PASS please.If need be just revert back to the Dragons.

It's not that simple (reverting back to dragons). The NRL have a billion tv deal for 16 teams, not 17. All of a sudden, with Gordon backing Illawarra, its likely they would be granted a license to play in the nrl, not st.george.
There's a lot to sort through, that's probably why it's taking so long. And obviously this proposed 51% share takeover may be the sticking point.

Maximus

Coach
It will be a mediocre club,

Better than the shit club we are now under St George leadership. If it wasn't for Tallis not wanting Bennett at the Cowboys, we still would have won nothing, and we would be dead financially.

I for one, will be done with the club the day this takeover is signed off.

Good. I hope to go along with this. People like you aren't needed, nor wanted.

People like you would rather a club that loses every single game for the next 20 years, and be dead financially, than have a financially sustainable club, even if the only thing required for the latter is more games at a different stadium. People like you are an embarrassment to this club.

It will be a great day when all of the anti-JV dickheads f**k off and we have a fan base that actually support the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Maximus

Coach
It's not that simple (reverting back to dragons). The NRL have a billion tv deal for 16 teams, not 17. All of a sudden, with Gordon backing Illawarra, its likely they would be granted a license to play in the nrl, not st.george.
There's a lot to sort through, that's probably why it's taking so long. And obviously this proposed 51% share takeover may be the sticking point.

Facts aren't welcome when the anti-Illawarra brigade come out.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Without a doubt there will be some changes made that will not please all , and that goes for both the Board and supporters . Personally , anything that he can provide to alleviate the Clubs current financial situation can only help .

The fact that he a loyal Dragons supporter is a big plus
From all reports he was a massive Illawarra fan. And one of his big priorities is to have footy games played out of Wollongong. Let's hope he realizes that the St.George Dragons brand name is a more valuable marketing product than the Illawarra steelers name.

Reactions: jak

Dorsai

Juniors
Better than the shit club we are now under St George leadership. If it wasn't for Tallis not wanting Bennett at the Cowboys, we still would have won nothing, and we would be dead financially.

Good. I hope to go along with this. People like you aren't needed, nor wanted.

People like you would rather a club that loses every single game for the next 20 years, and be dead financially, than have a financially sustainable club, even if the only thing required for the latter is more games at a different stadium. People like you are an embarrassment to this club.

It will be a great day when all of the anti-JV dickheads f**k off and we have a fan base that actually support the St George Illawarra Dragons.

You do not have the faintest idea idiot.

Mediocre is what we have been for quite some time. Am I happy with what's transpired? Not at all. I want to see a traditional club survive and achieve what it has potential to do.

I believe that private ownership needs to happen to deliver financial stability. It needs to have, however, some degree of conditions and not negotiable points though.

You obviously have no idea or understanding of what or how we ended up in the current position we find ourselves in. Whilst neither club, back in 1999 was secure enough to stand alone, jointly they were. I have no issues with the "joint" venture. We did however have one side of this joint venture failing miserably. Millions went into propping up the Illawarra side. When the pokie taxes hit, the traditional revenue base for the joint venture dried up. Reserve funds that would have sent the club along nicely were gone due to loans with little to no interest being held against the Illawarra club and ground.

This was a joint venture with decisions being made by both clubs, not just the dragons. we lost our junior clubs due to lack of finances, ended up with the cutters as our only true feeder club other than an under 20's and so lost more ground.

With a 51% majority, it no longer becomes a joint venture. Surely a twerp such as yourself can count?

I want a club that respects tradition and has financial stability. But not at the cost of the major identity.

Imbeciles like your self are the real embarrassment. No idea of the history of either club. No idea of how corporate structure will change this venture, and an all too simplistic belief that the tooth fairy will still leave you your dollar under the pillow.

When you have some idea of tradtion, or what potentially this takeover could spell to both clubs you may speak. Otherwise keep your docile opinion in your otherwise empty head.

Normally I would not get so fired up but there are so many of you trolls who attack people for voicing opinions rather than addressing discussion points. Your first thought is to name call. Unfortunately you got me on the wrong day and I have lowered myself to your level. If you cannot be constructive or voice legitimate concerns then shut up.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Wasn't the brand, colours, logo etc part of the non-negotiables of the original JV?
Frankly, I can't see Gordon messing with these items to any extent. The club is officially known as the St George Illawarra Dragons and I think he'd be happy just to retain the "Illawarra" part of the name. There is also too much history and supporter base, and losing that would also dent his return on his investment.
I think the point raised about 6 games at WIN, would really to satisfy his own TV rights to broadcast these games, throughout the Illawarra region and have Ch9 or Fox as free advertisers. More interestingly would be where the remaining 6 "home" games would be played (if my maths is correct 26 - 2 for byes = 24 / 2 = 12 - 6 for Win games leaves 6), 1 of these would be the annual ANZAC clash, so that leaves 5. One would hope these would be at Kogarah, and this maybe another sticking point given the RGRV policy. However, if we are free from debt then this policy would and should become obsolete.
The biggest change will come from within the board, and other areas unseen by us mere mortals.

Bruce Gordon the messiah or Bruce Gordon the masochist? only time will tell.

Gareth67

First Grade
I have followed St.George since the early 60's , however since 1999 I have been following a team called St.George Illawarra .

As the years pass , in my case 1/2 century , things do change , sometimes for the better , sometimes not so .

To me St.George Illawarra are still the Saints team that I loved when I was a kid , the difference being , now there are new faces on the team .

But what is important , at least to me , is that big Red V on the jersey . That is the same as it was 50 years ago .

As long as there is a St.George in the name somewhere , anywhere I will be happy to continue to support them .

But at this stage , I believe that some of us may be getting a bit ahead of ourselves .
There is absolutely nothing set in concrete just yet .

However there is one thing that I do know for a fact , and that is that our Club is going down the drain , and without financial assistance from somewhere quickly , we really will have cause to whinge and whine .

Bruce Gordon is throwing us a life-line , I for one do not intend to drown .

Maximus

Coach
You do not have the faintest idea idiot.

Mediocre is what we have been for quite some time. Am I happy with what's transpired? Not at all. I want to see a traditional club survive and achieve what it has potential to do.

I believe that private ownership needs to happen to deliver financial stability. It needs to have, however, some degree of conditions and not negotiable points though.

You obviously have no idea or understanding of what or how we ended up in the current position we find ourselves in. Whilst neither club, back in 1999 was secure enough to stand alone, jointly they were. I have no issues with the "joint" venture. We did however have one side of this joint venture failing miserably. Millions went into propping up the Illawarra side. When the pokie taxes hit, the traditional revenue base for the joint venture dried up. Reserve funds that would have sent the club along nicely were gone due to loans with little to no interest being held against the Illawarra club and ground.

This was a joint venture with decisions being made by both clubs, not just the dragons. we lost our junior clubs due to lack of finances, ended up with the cutters as our only true feeder club other than an under 20's and so lost more ground.

With a 51% majority, it no longer becomes a joint venture. Surely a twerp such as yourself can count?

I want a club that respects tradition and has financial stability. But not at the cost of the major identity.

Imbeciles like your self are the real embarrassment. No idea of the history of either club. No idea of how corporate structure will change this venture, and an all too simplistic belief that the tooth fairy will still leave you your dollar under the pillow.

When you have some idea of tradtion, or what potentially this takeover could spell to both clubs you may speak. Otherwise keep your docile opinion in your otherwise empty head.

Normally I would not get so fired up but there are so many of you trolls who attack people for voicing opinions rather than addressing discussion points. Your first thought is to name call. Unfortunately you got me on the wrong day and I have lowered myself to your level. If you cannot be constructive or voice legitimate concerns then shut up.

What you clearly don't understand is that all of those changes you guaranteed would happen can't be made with a simple majority, so your entire whinge about the 51% is completely irrelevant. Changes to the name, logo and colours require a unanimous vote, and last I checked (and I think I can count), 51% has never, and will never be unanimous.

Oh and by the way, a JV doesn't have to be 50:50. A JV is literally just a business structure where 2 or more parties pool resources. A 51:49 partnership is still a JV. Surely someone who thinks he is as smart as you do would realise that even a 50:50 JV would require one party to have more voting power than the other?

Bench
Geez the anti-Illawarra brigade really have some of you jumping at shadows.
Where no you get off with saying that, I want the JB to remain, that makes scene if the NRL goes national and Sydney teams are reduced, this take over of the St George Illawarra being successful will ensure us being part of any national league

SaintHarry

Juniors
Im only asking here because im abit worried do you think if this goes through which i actually hope it does because we do need the change is there a chance the club name would change or would it go back to the steelers because it has more of a illawarra influence?

Thanks

Red V for life

Juniors
Wasn't the brand, colours, logo etc part of the non-negotiables of the original JV?
Frankly, I can't see Gordon messing with these items to any extent. The club is officially known as the St George Illawarra Dragons and I think he'd be happy just to retain the "Illawarra" part of the name. There is also too much history and supporter base, and losing that would also dent his return on his investment.
I think the point raised about 6 games at WIN, would really to satisfy his own TV rights to broadcast these games, throughout the Illawarra region and have Ch9 or Fox as free advertisers. More interestingly would be where the remaining 6 "home" games would be played (if my maths is correct 26 - 2 for byes = 24 / 2 = 12 - 6 for Win games leaves 6), 1 of these would be the annual ANZAC clash, so that leaves 5. One would hope these would be at Kogarah, and this maybe another sticking point given the RGRV policy. However, if we are free from debt then this policy would and should become obsolete.
The biggest change will come from within the board, and other areas unseen by us mere mortals.

Bruce Gordon the messiah or Bruce Gordon the masochist? only time will tell.
Gordon is obviously a savvy businessman and while none of us can say what his ultimate plans are for sure, I too would be extremely surprised to see the Red V or the name St George disappear. Kogarah...I dunno.

However, if either the Red V or the name did disappear, I'm afraid that would be it for me. The St George Illawarra Dragons is the only thing keeping my interest in a sport I think is grossly mismanaged. Oh, and Sportsbet too!

The RGRV policy is laughable. Given our performances over the last few years and the ever dwindling crowds, I'd say Kogarah and Wollongong would fit into this policy better than the big stadiums, but money talks and it sounds like we need every cent.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I don't care as long as this new ownership model brings a new CEO, a new coach, a decent halfback and we are still the Dragons playing in the big RedV. You can play the games in the Fox studios for all I care as TV broadcasters seem to rule the NRL and really have ruined crowd support in their ridiculous scheduling of games.
BTW this Bruce Gordon has the look of Les Patterson......I'm sure he's a lot smarter and yet will make us all happy in the end.

Reactions: Qdf

FlameThrower

Bench
I don't care as long as this new ownership model brings a new CEO, a new coach, a decent halfback and we are still the Dragons playing in the big RedV. You can play the games in the Fox studios for all I care as TV broadcasters seem to rule the NRL and really have ruined crowd support in their ridiculous scheduling of games.
BTW this Bruce Gordon has the look of Les Patterson......I'm sure he's a lot smarter and yet will make us all happy in the end.
Agree 100% - some people on here already on here collecting their jerseys to burn.
I'm going to park any more comments about Gorden as its pointless at this stage.

Latest posts