What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup/Sydney Shield 2016

Joker44

Juniors
Wow, just seen the Hills v Asquith result in RMC. Was Hills that good or did Asquith fall at the last.

I think a bit of both. Hills were very good, really strong and dominant through the middle and played off the back of that. Asquith had a side that contained 3 hookers (Aaron Groom first game back) and late withdrawal of Adam Kalcina. I think Asquith finally paid the price for amount of players they lost after last year, with little to no new recruits. Also would not help having a farce of a Syd Shield side that they have with the inability to bring any players up. Grand Finalists last year to missing the 8. Big fall from grace.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I think a bit of both. Hills were very good, really strong and dominant through the middle and played off the back of that. Asquith had a side that contained 3 hookers (Aaron Groom first game back) and late withdrawal of Adam Kalcina. I think Asquith finally paid the price for amount of players they lost after last year, with little to no new recruits. Also would not help having a farce of a Syd Shield side that they have with the inability to bring any players up. Grand Finalists last year to missing the 8. Big fall from grace.

Sounds like you would have to give Hills a good chance against Burwood-Concord this weekend.

Broncos93

Juniors
Embarrassing from Asquith, 66-6 in a must win game, jesus. Particularly after dusting Wenty and Wests in consecutive weeks. Simon Clarke's side do have a tendency to lift for the big games, but crazy to think how many games they dropped to sides that aren't anywhere near the level of that top 3 of Wenty, Mounties and Wests. I've heard there's quite a few big signings on the way for next year, so you can expect them to be back up near the top in 2017 if they're true. Supposedly the Kennedy brothers and Vinny N'garo are on their way, and if Aaron Groom can get his health in order and is willing to play another season it'll be a much improved side.

The depth issue could still be a problem - I don't know what it is about the Shield team. There's always a surplus of players in preseason but seem to drop off once the season begins, maybe looking for another opportunity after not making the round 1 side? A lot of the 2016 team came across from North Sydney Brothers 2015 side, perhaps not quite up to the lift in standard from the combined Norths/Manly comp?
There were also a few long term Asquith players running around, some even coming out of retirement to play once the discussions of folding began.

Good to see Hills making the finals though in their first year in the competition. Magpie4ever, is there much of last year's Sydney Shield GF side? I know there's a few who've left but a quick scroll through their list shows a few familliar names if I'm not mistaken. Pretty disappointing seasons for Cabramatta and Windsor,they've both fallen a long way since being premiership threats in past few years, the former in particular.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Embarrassing from Asquith, 66-6 in a must win game, jesus. Particularly after dusting Wenty and Wests in consecutive weeks. Simon Clarke's side do have a tendency to lift for the big games, but crazy to think how many games they dropped to sides that aren't anywhere near the level of that top 3 of Wenty, Mounties and Wests. I've heard there's quite a few big signings on the way for next year, so you can expect them to be back up near the top in 2017 if they're true. Supposedly the Kennedy brothers and Vinny N'garo are on their way, and if Aaron Groom can get his health in order and is willing to play another season it'll be a much improved side.

The depth issue could still be a problem - I don't know what it is about the Shield team. There's always a surplus of players in preseason but seem to drop off once the season begins, maybe looking for another opportunity after not making the round 1 side? A lot of the 2016 team came across from North Sydney Brothers 2015 side, perhaps not quite up to the lift in standard from the combined Norths/Manly comp?
There were also a few long term Asquith players running around, some even coming out of retirement to play once the discussions of folding began.

Good to see Hills making the finals though in their first year in the competition. Magpie4ever, is there much of last year's Sydney Shield GF side? I know there's a few who've left but a quick scroll through their list shows a few familliar names if I'm not mistaken. Pretty disappointing seasons for Cabramatta and Windsor,they've both fallen a long way since being premiership threats in past few years, the former in particular.

Had a quick look over the team before last week's game - thinking there was about 3 or 4 players from last year within the 17 - Spicer, Beauman and Hawkings and maybe one more, Weston (or was he listed in the S/S side).

To be honest, I think they could push Concord/Burwood but the next week (if they win) will be a gigantic hurdle - one of the top 4.

rightleftin

Juniors
Actually 5 against Asquith - Spicer, Baumann, Hawkings, Weston and Edric Holmes, but no team named for the quarter final..

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
Kingsgrove forfeited to Concord Burwood last sunday as most of their players were part of the side that lost the A Grade grand final 36-22 on Saturday night to Auburn Warriors. The Warriors fielded a weakened side in the semi 2 weeks earlier but were strengthened for the GF by the inclusion of Andrew Emelio, Joel Taufaao, Joe Mua, Junior Langi, Michael Gibson and Jeremy Hales.

Kingsgrove proved capability at A Grade level by 11 wins in 17 games and between RMC and A Grade some played up to 30 games. The GF squad played (7 man unlimited interchange) appeared in the 19 RMC games as follows:

1 Anthony Raheb 10 RMC games
19 Mark Ataya 7
3 Lachlan Hughes 1
4 Ofa Felila 10
5 Tom Szabo 5
6 Daniel Arahu 14
7 Liam Christensen 5
8 Steve Taulunga 4
9 Jordan Chong Sun 10
10 Jackson Briskey Luscombe 10
11 Awishkar Gyanawali 11
12 Stefan Totidis 4
13 Luke Fredotovic 9
14 Gerald Reyes 4
15 Abed Nasser 7
16 Ryan Monaghan 17
17 Abdul El Masri 2
18 Lashuan Poulivaati 9
20 Lucas Burnes 1

Justin Gasovski (15 RMC games) was named on the wing but did not play. Other listed outside the playing squad were Charmoon Tumupu ($ RMC games), Hayden Warren (8), Liam Clarke (2) and Bill Elbatoory (3)
So every player in the A grade squad played RMC.

rightleftin

Juniors
Yesterday Wenty were unable to convert any of their 3 tries but a field goal to Dylan Izzard right on half time proved the difference with Wests going down 13-12.

At Campbelltown today, Mounties have repeated the path taken in 2015 when also minor premiers, lost on the first week of the finals, losing 26-22 to St Marys despite scoring 4 tries in the first half to build an 18-6 lead. Both teams ended up scoring 5 tries with the difference reflecting goal kicking. St Marys have now beaten the 3 top sides in recent weeks, and after a slow start which saw them not even among the top 8 nearing the halfway point of the season, they now could be considered favourites for the title.

At St Marys, a tight defensive struggle developed between Auburn and Guildford with the Owls in front 4-0 after 30 minutes but then the floodgates opened and Guildford went to the break up 20-0. Auburn never looked like breaching the gap and the final score was 32-10. There were some odd selections for Auburn, a side that lacked penetration, chose to relegate Matt Utai to the bench. When he did come into the game he played in the backrow, replacing Heka Nanai, who was one of Auburn's best in the opening exchanges.

Guildford were enterprising with the ball when opportunities were presented and defended well. Harmony Hunt, who with Wolfgramm, Pene and Shelley, was one of 4 ex Auburn players in the Owls lineup, made a lot of ground with his hard running.

In the final RMC game, Concord Burwood started well to lead 18-6 after 24 minutes. Gerard McCallum's 2 tries in the first half limited the deficit to 6 points. Hills produced some great running rugby for 6 more tries in the second half, including the completion of McCallum's hatrick and a final result of 44-18. Ryan Millard, who played fullback for CBW played in only 1 of CBW's 19 rounds.

It is interesting to note that Mounties and Wenty are the only 2 teams in the final 6 that reached the same stage last year. Asquith, Windsor and Blacktown were not among the last 8 and Auburn fell at the first hurdle. St Marys and Hills have progressed in their first season, Wests have had a much better season than last year and Guildford have reversed the loss to Auburn in the first week.

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
There were 3 SS games are Campbelltown today. In the first game of the day East Campbelltown, who have been having a good run of late were facing a Cabramatta side that lost 14 of its 22 games. Contrary to script Cabra were first out of the blocks and scored 3 tries in the first quarter of the game to lead 18-0. East Campbelltown fought their way back from the edge of oblivion to even the score 18-18 at the 57th minute mark, before Cabra went ahead again and held a 24-18 advantage into the final 10 minutes of the game but the Eagles then piled on 3 tries in the space of 7 minutes to close out the result 38-26.

In the second game, Peninsula went the expansive route from the get go playing the game at high pace to lead 12-0 after 16 minutes. The Seagulls could not maintain the pace in the Spring conditions and the larger St Marys side started to gain the advantage and by half time were in front by 18-12. St Marys maintained the gap throughout the 2nd half and won 38-22.

Belrose threw everything at Mounties in an attempt to repeat their away win from round 2 back in March. They scored twice in the opening 5 minutes and another 2 tries meant that by the 25th minute mark Belrose's 24-4 lead looked like a matchwinner but Mounties scored 6 tries before Belrose added to their tally to triumph by 38-30.

In the game at St Marys, Wenty and Guildford traded tries such that 1 minute into the 2nd half the score was 24-24. The experience advantage in the Wenty side then came to the fore as KJ Mckenzie added a second half hat trick to the 2 tries scored by brother Cecil in the first half. Wenty winning 46-30.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
See I got the Hills v Concord/Burwood result right.

Now next week, they either play Wests or Mounties.

I think they are a chance against the Maggies (if Hills are on their game and Wests have an off day), but I'm a Wests supporter. So

If they take on Mounties, hard to see an upset.

rightleftin

Juniors
See I got the Hills v Concord/Burwood result right.

Now next week, they either play Wests or Mounties.

I think they are a chance against the Maggies (if Hills are on their game and Wests have an off day), but I'm a Wests supporter. So

If they take on Mounties, hard to see an upset.

Wests v Guildford
Mounties v Hills

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Updated roadmaps for this one. Full details http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29159-finals-football-september-9-11/

SS2016Finals-Week2.png

CrgnJpnUAAAqEaQ.jpg:large

Results RMC: http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29181-results-2016-ron-massey-cup-finals-wk-1/

Results SS: http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29177-results-2016-sydney-shield-finals-wk-1/

Broncos93

Juniors
I think we'll see similar to last year in both of the week 1 losers going through to the GF. I think Wests vs Guildford will be pretty straight forward for the Maggies and I'd back them to do St Mary's the following week. Likewise I think Mounties will do Hills and then beat Wenty in a close one just like last years prelim.

rightleftin

Juniors
The Roosters won their quarter final in the NYC 48-0 yesterday. The side included 8 players that appeared for Kingsgrove Colts in 2016 and several more that played for the Colts last season

magpie4ever

First Grade
The Roosters won their quarter final in the NYC 48-0 yesterday. The side included 8 players that appeared for Kingsgrove Colts in 2016 and several more that played for the Colts last season

I think this shows the difference between the so-called second tier concept of the NRL (1st grade and U20s) and the low tier open age comps - no wonder they are flicking the U20s next year or 2018. It really has been a rubbish competition that doesn't ready players for the top level.

rightleftin

Juniors
As expected Wests and Mounties will progress to the second last week of the RMC. It was no contest in the later game as Mounties dominated from go to whoa to turn 18 point lead at half time to a 48-0 result with Maika Sivo adding a triple in RMC to his 39 tries in SS.

The other game was far from straight forward as Guildford tore Wests to shreds in the early part of the game to lead 18-0 after 20 minutes. However, Wests steadied and the score early in the 2nd half on the back of 2 tries while Harmony Hunt was in the bin. Guildford were down 26-24 with a few minutes left when a very promising movement was terminated by an intercept and try to Wests to close out 32-24.

In the SS, East Campbelltown were too good for Belrose in winning 32-18 while Peninsula took a long time to extinguish the Wenty challenge with a 42-32 result. Peninsula rely heavily on Jake Pickering but would enhance their chances by including Arthur Little in the starting line up rather than relying on a few classy touches in the last 25 minutes of the game.

Timmah

Staff member
RM Cup Week 2 results

1st Semi Final
Western Suburbs Magpies 32 Guildford Owls 24

Venue: St Marys Stadium
Date: Sunday 11 September 2016 at 2:00pm

Western Suburbs Magpies (32)
Tries: Shannon Gallant, Tom Morrison, John Mapesone, John Tohi 2, Josh Davies
Goals: Shannon Gallant 4

Guildford Owls (24)
Tries: Alex Bush, Lazarus Brown, Harmony Hunt, Tyrone Shelly
Goals: Mason Farrell 4

2nd Semi Final
Mounties 48 Hills District Bulls 0

Date: Sunday 11 September 2016 at 4:00pm

Mounties (48)
Tries: Maika Sivo 3, Rusty Bristow 2, Allen Mulia Malau 2, Jacob Mayer
Goals: Jake Walsh 8

Hills District Bulls (0)

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29225-results-2016-ron-massey-cup-finals-wk-2/

Week 3 - Preliminary Finals (18 September)

1st Preliminary Final (Winner QF 1 v Winner SF 2)
St Marys v Western Suburbs Magpies
Campbelltown Stadium, Sunday 3:00pm

2nd Preliminary Final (Winner QF 2 v Winner SF 1)
Wentworthville Magpies v Mounties
Leichhardt Oval, Sunday 1:00pm

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29206-finals-football-september-16-18/

Timmah

Staff member
Shield Results

1st Semi Final
Belrose Eagles 18 East Campbelltown Eagles 32

Date: Sunday 11 September 2016 at 10:00am

Belrose Eagles (18)
Tries: Blake Nichols, Josese Rika, Dayne Horne
Goals: Blake Nichols 3

East Campbelltown Eagles (32)
Tries: Guy Thompson 2, Ronny Palumbo, Fredrick Tevaga, Amanono Tovio
Goals: Ben Baker 6

2nd Semi Final
Peninsula Seagulls 40 Wentworthville Juniors 32

Date: Sunday 11 September 2016 at 12:00pm

Peninsula Seagulls (40)
Tries: Jake Pickering 2, Chris Williams, Jerrod See, Richard Goodwin, Ryan Wheeler, Enoka Time
Goals: Luke Martin 7

Wentworthville Juniors (32)
Tries: Jayson Lombardo 2, Cecil Mackenzie 2, KJ Mackenzie, Ryan Burrough
Goals: Jayson Lombardo 4

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29226-results-2016-sydney-shield-finals-wk-2/

Week 3 - Preliminary Finals (18 September)

1st Preliminary Final (Winner QF 1 v Winner SF 2)
Mounties v Peninsula Seagulls
Leichhardt Oval, Sunday 11:00am

2nd Preliminary Final (Winner QF 2 v Winner SF 1)
St Marys v East Campbelltown Eagles
Campbelltown Stadium, Sunday 1:00pm

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29206-finals-football-september-16-18/

Latest posts