What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Westworld

elyod138

Bench
New HBO scifi based on Michael Crichton's 1973 film.

Jonah and Lisa Joy Nolan are the creators of the show and the cast is excellent.

The first episode was very good, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

alien

Referee
I'm recording Episode 1 onto my Foxtel hard drive right now. For those who have Foxtel, it's on the Showcase channel.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Has this got anything to do with the 1970s movie starring Yul Brunner? If not, Michael Critchon would be turning in his grave.

elyod138

Bench
Has this got anything to do with the 1970s movie starring Yul Brunner? If not, Michael Critchon would be turning in his grave.

I doubt he'd be turning in his grave, it's great so far and although they've expanded it, it lines up with the themes which Crichton is known for. If it delivers on the promise of the first episode it will exceed the 1973 film.

His work has been bastardized in the past, this isn't like that.

Edit: oh, you said 'If not', misread your post

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I doubt he'd be turning in his grave, it's great so far and although they've expanded it, it lines up with the themes which Crichton is known for. If it delivers on the promise of the first episode it will exceed the 1973 film.

His work has been bastardized in the past, this isn't like that.

Edit: oh, you said 'If not', misread your post
Thank you Elyod for input. Looks like I have two missions to accomplish.

Get what I can of Mr Robot and Westworld.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Recorded this off fox, will probably wait until there have been 5 or 6 eps then check them out in a sitting.
Don't really know much about the story but the ads looked pretty good.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Saw enough in the pilot to make me wanna see a few more eps. Looks OK

Parra

Referee
Lazy screenwriting - might have set a record for using the words f**k and f**king in a conversation. Reminds me of deadwood in that regard. It's like the writers inserted f**k as a placeholder in a draft and intended to go back and put in real adjectives and verbs but then never bothered.

elyod138

Bench
Lazy screenwriting - might have set a record for using the words f**k and f**king in a conversation. Reminds me of deadwood in that regard. It's like the writers inserted f**k as a placeholder in a draft and intended to go back and put in real adjectives and verbs but then never bothered.
First time I've ever heard the swearing in Deadwood called lazy screenwriting, I think it was an effective tool. It didn't seem out of place in Westworld to me either.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The original Westworld was quite groundbreaking, you can see how it influenced Terminator for instance.

Excellent early 70s film.

Parra

Referee
First time I've ever heard the swearing in Deadwood called lazy screenwriting, I think it was an effective tool. It didn't seem out of place in Westworld to me either.

I have nothing against profanity in context. Best TV show by a mile is The Sopranos. The swearing is in context and the delivery by the actors is spot on. Same goes for Tarantino films and the best example of all is Ben Kingsley as Don Logan in Sexy Beast.

I get none of that in Deadwood or that first episode of Westworld. I found the writing gratuitous and the wooden delivery of the lines seemed like it is all 'just get it done in one take'. Compare this with the Sopranos or with movies like Snatch or Lock Stock or Trainspotting.

elyod138

Bench
I have nothing against profanity in context. Best TV show by a mile is The Sopranos. The swearing is in context and the delivery by the actors is spot on. Same goes for Tarantino films and the best example of all is Ben Kingsley as Don Logan in Sexy Beast.

I get none of that in Deadwood or that first episode of Westworld. I found the writing gratuitous and the wooden delivery of the lines seemed like it is all 'just get it done in one take'. Compare this with the Sopranos or with movies like Snatch or Lock Stock or Trainspotting.
I didn't get that feeling at all, I didn't even realise there was any swearing.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I only notice it when they dont swear, its not normal and less realistic.

elyod138

Bench
I loved the second episode, this cast is deep with talent.

Can't wait to see what Ford is up to, he seems to have a God complex. I think he intentionally wants the hosts to become self aware. Signs point to Jeffrey Wright's character being complicit.

Last edited: