What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mike Cooper you have no class

Just read an interview from Cooper slamming the club and its fans.

We accept that certain officials have been at the club for too long and have continually made poor decisions over the past 5 years.

Bums on seats have been down, largely due to poor on field performances.

This season Mike's form was abysmal. He lacked motivation and his efforts on the park were sub-standard.

Unlike Benji who took ownership of his form, Cooper blames the Club for living in the past and the fans for thinking our club is bigger than it is.

Last time I checked, the board doesn't miss tackles, or drop balls, nor does it fail to back up players with the ball.

Suggest you have a good look in the mirror Mike. Players like you are symptomatic of the current management and coach.

You came to the club as a fringe first grader and excelled because of the standard of players around you.

When things got tough you took your bat and ball and went home with your tail between your legs.

You have no class or backbone.

Best of luck playing at home in the substandard super league with your mediocre team mates.

Gareth67

First Grade
Earned his beer money , perhaps more so than others !

And the article - there was nothing there that offended an old berstard like me . The Club is living on pass glories and certainly requires new people on the Board with new ideas to take it into the year 2017 and beyond . Only then will the Joint Venture be on a level playing field with the other Clubs in the competition .

Mikey has only said what we all know , and it has made its way into the ' big time 'news , so perhaps he has done us all a very large favour .

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade

We accept that certain officials have been at the club for too long and have continually made poor decisions over the past 5 years.

This season Mike's form was abysmal. He lacked motivation and his efforts on the park were sub-standard.

Unlike Benji who took ownership of his form, Cooper blames the Club for living in the past and the fans for thinking our club is bigger than it is.

Last time I checked, the board doesn't miss tackles, or drop balls, nor does it fail to back up players with the ball.

Suggest you have a good look in the mirror Mike. Players like you are symptomatic of the current management and coach.

You came to the club as a fringe first grader and excelled because of the standard of players around you.

When things got tough you took your bat and ball and went home with your tail between your legs.

Best of luck playing at home in the substandard super league with your mediocre team mates.

Care to post a link to said article?

Coffs dragon

Bench
He was honest and spoke the truth.....meaning the team was coached by insiders that should not have been there!! There is a need for a fresh approach from outside the Illawarra job security bubble. We all know and so does Mike Cooper......it's just our dipstick management that don't .

TruSaint

Referee
Care to post a link to said article?

Dragters...

Departed Dragon dishes the dirt
By Phil Wilkinson
October 15, 2016

ENGLISHMAN Mike Cooper has lifted the lid on the Dragons’ nightmare season.

Off-field dramas, a supporter campaign to oust CEO Peter Doust and poor form on the field all conspired to make it a miserable campaign for the Red V.

But while a lot of the focus was on the misfiring halves pairing of Benji Marshall and Gareth Widdop, Cooper believes their problems stemmed from changes to the tactics that proved so effective in 2015.

“There was a lot of talk that we didn’t score enough points and people seemed to forget that we were one of the best defensive sides in the competition for a long, long time,” says the prop, who is rejoining his former Super League club Warrington.

“This year it went completely away from that. We just focused too much on the attack, in my opinion.

“Everyone was a little bit guilty of listening to outside noise instead of focusing on and carrying on from where we left off. I kind of knew when we came back in for pre-season that it wasn’t going to be the same sort of structure from the year before.

“It’s just a big opportunity lost and it’s made it frustrating.

“To be honest, if they don’t make big changes then they’ll be in the same situation next year.”

Cooper believes as well as a different approach, new personnel would help drive a change.

“A lot of the people have been there a long time . . . employing people that have been in the club isn’t always the best move,” he adds.

“Sometimes you need fresh ideas and maybe that’s what they need moving forward, but I know everyone there genuinely just wants the club to proceed and they’ll do anything they can to make that happen.

“But from an outsider’s point of view now having left, I think they need a good freshen-up.”

Cooper admits he felt the simmering pressure to replicate the Red V’s past achievements.

“They always revert back to the glory years of 11 in a row,” Cooper reckons. “That was a long time ago, the club’s sort of built on that and still talking about that, and I think they maybe need to move on from that era because that isn’t where the club is at the minute.

“Sometimes I think maybe the fans think that the brand’s bigger than it actually is in terms of the league and members and numbers and fans turning up on the gate.”

The Doc

Juniors
He spoke the truth... i dont see what the problem is with what he said.
Management are living off past glories, fans are also.
What did he say that wasnt true?
We all need to realise that the 11 straight we won will never be matched by any other team in any other sport, true, but its not enough anymore to live off that great accomplishment.
That accomplishment is not enough to save our club.
We have a "boys club" mentality behind closed doors, every one of us fans knows this, and knows it needs to change.
I for one am happy to hear a player, all be it an ex player, come out publicly and say it out loud.

Mr Red

First Grade

Saints forever I doubt you will get much support on this one.
About time a player called it like it is ... Do you even know the reason he has gone back to the UK???
You've missed the mark big time with your thoughts ...about as wide of the mark as a benji Marshall cutout pass into row F

BennyV

Referee

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Its ok. We've got some classy people on the board.

No money, members, halfback or coach, but some fine old men in blazers.

Class is what counts.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He didn't 'slam' the fans. OP is easily offended. Perhaps you have been swept away by the emotion generated by a tabloid click bait rag.

Cooper was being honest in his criticism of club management. Old boys club etc.. I agree with him on that point.

TruSaint

Referee
This sentence resonates to fans across the board ( no pun intended ). Except those whom have attacked him on social media, who obviously have read the whole article.

“But from an outsider’s point of view now having left, I think they need a good freshen-up.”

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It was a constructive criticism which has seem him being bombarded by insults.... And to say he was hopeless ? Please... He did the jersey proud.

http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...ayer-lashed-by-fans/wyu3srpw6voo10g4ja51gv936

read some of the shite our fans are giving him...
I'm not even sure if those comments are from readers. Or perhaps there's a bit of cherry picking going on.

If this thread and the one in JA are anything to go on, the vast majority of fans agree with Mike Cooper.