What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will NSW ever move towards a Qld-style comp?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I'm not concerned how NRL teams run their reserve squad whether via feeder arrangement or full reserve team - I lean towards flexibility rather than 1 size fits all.

BUT

The NSWRL needs to cap the amount of Sydney (specifically west) teams allowed in the comp, and target regions for growth. Canberra and Melbourne playing reserve teams outside their regions is damaging to the comp and the wider game

100% agree especially on Canberra and melbourne

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
As someone from NSW who spent a lot of time in Queensland I loved the QLD Cup. Even after moving back to NSW I keep a keen interest in it. The QLD Cup structure is perfect from a geographical standpoint (when they add Toowoomba) and the Indepaendant teams bring there own fans are intrest.

I would love to see the NSW Cup adopt the Queensland Cup format and believe they should have done so long ago. The next step would be for the NSW Cup to have a 20's 18's and 16's just like the Queensland cup covering a better geographical spread. Then the NRL teams could move to having just a top squad of 30 and all the money that would save them

siv

First Grade
As someone from NSW who spent a lot of time in Queensland I loved the QLD Cup. Even after moving back to NSW I keep a keen interest in it. The QLD Cup structure is perfect from a geographical standpoint (when they add Toowoomba) and the Indepaendant teams bring there own fans are intrest.

I would love to see the NSW Cup adopt the Queensland Cup format and believe they should have done so long ago. The next step would be for the NSW Cup to have a 20's 18's and 16's just like the Queensland cup covering a better geographical spread. Then the NRL teams could move to having just a top squad of 30 and all the money that would save them

Not so simple in NSW

NSW NRL clubs are the local District clubs

In NSW Cup non NRL clubs dont run U20 U18 or U16s district teams except for the Bears

Plus we dont have NSW Country divisions fully represented. Only the divisions who were promoted to NRL level

And QLD just dumped U16s as a state wide comp

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Not so simple in NSW

NSW NRL clubs are the local District clubs

In NSW Cup non NRL clubs dont run U20 U18 or U16s district teams except for the Bears

Plus we dont have NSW Country divisions fully represented. Only the divisions who were promoted to NRL level

And QLD just dumped U16s as a state wide comp

I understand that is how the setup is currenlty. I would like to see NSW move towards a structure like the QLD cup. That will mean creating a NSW Cup that has an idea geographical spread with teams indepenant from the NRL. This will take time and money no doubt but I beleive it is worth it. I also stringly disagree with the dumping of the 16's and I hope to see this decsion reversed in the future.

siv

First Grade
I understand that is how the setup is currenlty. I would like to see NSW move towards a structure like the QLD cup. That will mean creating a NSW Cup that has an idea geographical spread with teams indepenant from the NRL. This will take time and money no doubt but I beleive it is worth it. I also stringly disagree with the dumping of the 16's and I hope to see this decsion reversed in the future.

Ok so how do you propose to address the NSW district clubs who all have teams in RG U20 U18 and U16s in NSW ?

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Ok so how do you propose to address the NSW district clubs who all have teams in RG U20 U18 and U16s in NSW ?

The NSW Nrls clubs 16's through to 20's will be replaced by the NSW cup teams. It would be a process and would most likely be done gradually. Reserve grade would be the easiest the NSW Cup teams would be set up by georgraphical locatiion and then the NRL teams who feeder them will be aligned. Then you would phase out the junior teams from NRL to NSW Cup teams. Once this is set up you can align the junior teams

siv

First Grade
The NSW Nrls clubs 16's through to 20's will be replaced by the NSW cup teams. It would be a process and would most likely be done gradually. Reserve grade would be the easiest the NSW Cup teams would be set up by georgraphical locatiion and then the NRL teams who feeder them will be aligned. Then you would phase out the junior teams from NRL to NSW Cup teams. Once this is set up you can align the junior teams

Ok so few questions ?

What happens in
- Penrith Newcastle Manly who have a team at all levels
- Parramatta who have multiple NSW Cup clubs from their A grade but run the U20s U18s U16s
- Or Souths and Canberra who have a strong junior structure and run U20 U18 and U16 but no NSW Cup team
- Or Easts who dont have any juniors

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I see no reason why the Ron Massey cup couldn't be evolved into a stateside competition incorporating Coffs,Tamworth, Dubbo etc.... It could then be more formally designated a minor affiliate league for the NSW Nrl clubs. The likes of Canberra can then keep their major affiliate with say mounties but have a proper regional affiliate like Wagga in meaningfull statewide competition
I'm not concerned how NRL teams run their reserve squad whether via feeder arrangement or full reserve team - I lean towards flexibility rather than 1 size fits all.
BUT
The NSWRL needs to cap the amount of Sydney (specifically west) teams allowed in the comp, and target regions for growth. Canberra and Melbourne playing reserve teams outside their regions is damaging to the comp and the wider game
100% agree especially on Canberra and melbourne

Why would Canberra or Melbourne piss hundreds of thousands of dollars down the drain funding our own NSW cup and/or Ron Massey teams when we can outsource most of those costs and get the same results?

For Canberra and especially for Melbourne we'd be effectively tacking on all the costs of interstate travel and accommodation for another two football teams without any return on investment money wise, that's just stupid.

Add to that, that there're no incentives in juniors development from the NRL what so ever (salary cap incentives, grants, nothing) then why would we take on these excess cost for absolutely no return what so ever if we could avoid it?

The only way that Canberra will ever have a NSW cup and/or Ron Massey cup team is if a new club set up in Canberra and joined the NSW cup and/or Ron Massey cup, and that club offered us a similar or better deal then the Mounties do to affiliate with them, and there's no way in hell that the Raiders would invest millions over an extended period in setting up and funding a club in a place like Wagga, if we were going to fund a NSW cup and/or a Ron Massey cup team then we'd do it in Canberra where they could share facilities with the NRL team.

And lets be honest for a moment the NSW cup should really be called the Sydney with a handful of blow ins cup, why would Canberra or Melbourne want to be a part of that if there isn't anything to be gained out of it?

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Ok so few questions ?

What happens in
- Penrith Newcastle Manly who have a team at all levels
- Parramatta who have multiple NSW Cup clubs from their A grade but run the U20s U18s U16s
- Or Souths and Canberra who have a strong junior structure and run U20 U18 and U16 but no NSW Cup team
- Or Easts who dont have any juniors

I feel like im starting to repeat myself here. Those teams will no longer have any junior teams. They will only have there first grade squad of 30 players. Players who arent in first grade will play for a NSW cup team or teams like the QLD Cup. The junior teams wll run trhough NSW and QLD Cup. The NSW Cup will be rebranded to have a georgapical spread of teams just like the QLD Cup.

siv

First Grade
Ok in Penrith as a example

They already do their Reserve Grade or NSW Cup team is called Penrith - they wanted to represent their district - rather than have a district A grade club ie Windsor try and represent them

When all Sydney RL clubs were formed they were all given "Districts". Those boundaries still exist today. But almost all of the clubs still exist in the NRL today.

In Qld all Qld Cup RL clubs are either old Brisbane district RL clubs or old Qld Division sides and all have "Districts"

Brisbane Broncos model doesn't exist for the Sydney RL clubs

So to implement a QLD Cup style model in NSW you need to re-invent the "District boundaries" and then change almost all of the NSW RL organisations at senior and junior levels

There is a lot of resistance to this change

Stewbum

Juniors
I feel like im starting to repeat myself here. Those teams will no longer have any junior teams. They will only have there first grade squad of 30 players. Players who arent in first grade will play for a NSW cup team or teams like the QLD Cup. The junior teams wll run trhough NSW and QLD Cup. The NSW Cup will be rebranded to have a georgapical spread of teams just like the QLD Cup.
Welcome to trying to argue logic with New South Welshmen. Give it a decade and they'll jump on board. Just like the nay sayers about having a NSW Cup in the first place. NSW is a decade or two behind Qld with state rugby league. And with the pathetic administration in Qld that is saying something!

Stewbum

Juniors
Ok in Penrith as a example

They already do their Reserve Grade or NSW Cup team is called Penrith - they wanted to represent their district - rather than have a district A grade club ie Windsor try and represent them

When all Sydney RL clubs were formed they were all given "Districts". Those boundaries still exist today. But almost all of the clubs still exist in the NRL today.

In Qld all Qld Cup RL clubs are either old Brisbane district RL clubs or old Qld Division sides and all have "Districts"

Brisbane Broncos model doesn't exist for the Sydney RL clubs

So to implement a QLD Cup style model in NSW you need to re-invent the "District boundaries" and then change almost all of the NSW RL organisations at senior and junior levels

There is a lot of resistance to this change
So who has the 'district' of Dubbo? What's preventing a large country town putting in a bid and negotiating a deal with any NRL club?

The Cowboys have affiliations with Townsville, Mackay, Cairns, and Rockhampton. Doesn't seem that difficult.

The Titans just announced an affiliation with the 'Western Mustangs' (to be the new Toowoomba Clydesdales).

siv

First Grade
So who has the 'district' of Dubbo? What's preventing a large country town putting in a bid and negotiating a deal with any NRL club?

The Cowboys have affiliations with Townsville, Mackay, Cairns, and Rockhampton. Doesn't seem that difficult.

The Titans just announced an affiliation with the 'Western Mustangs' (to be the new Toowoomba Clydesdales).

Nothing

But no one in NSW wants to

They prefer to raid the Parramatta and Penrith A grade clubs

The other elephant in the room is NSW Country RL. The entity called NSWRL operates more like Sydney RL than all of NSW

I think we all want the missing NSW Country divisions represented in the NSW Cup

But you need to remove the NRL NSW district clubs from NSW Cup. But there is loads of resistance to this. But a simple answer to that is NSW or National RG.

Then NSW Cup can operate like the Qld Cup

kbw

Bench
The biggest problem in changing any of that is funding. The NRL which gets all the money basically keeps it.
They almost do not even acknowledge that there are competitions below first grade let alone fund any of it.

colly

Juniors
Nothing

But no one in NSW wants to

They prefer to raid the Parramatta and Penrith A grade clubs

The other elephant in the room is NSW Country RL. The entity called NSWRL operates more like Sydney RL than all of NSW

I think we all want the missing NSW Country divisions represented in the NSW Cup

But you need to remove the NRL NSW district clubs from NSW Cup. But there is loads of resistance to this. But a simple answer to that is NSW or National RG.

Then NSW Cup can operate like the Qld Cup

Why not combine NSWRL with the CRL. ? Call it NSW City & Country RL
Give voting rights out with population /geographical.
http://crlnsw.com.au/
The above link has a NSW map with Six district

Select Your Region
map.png

These areas and Monties Newtown North Sydney ..... Plus all NRL teams plus six regions above.
You would have to have a conference system so as to minimize travel. The six regions away games scheduled for convenience. You might only do 12 rounds/ rotating Bi annually. Before the 4pm Sunday NRL game have a NSW CC RL cup game
My take would be 6 regions , which all have 250 thousand population.
1South Coast and Snow
2Riverina and Albury
3.Central Mountains and West
4. New England
5. Northern rivers
6 Mid North Coast

Last edited:

Diesel

Coach
Q Cup doesn't associate itself with the NRL, no team is called Broncos, Titans, Cowboys and the feeder clubs bring their own fans.

Also, there isn't a city heavy loading of teams, Brisbane have 4 teams out of 14, Souths-Logan, Easts, Norths and Wynnum-Manly.

Ipswich and Redcliffe are greater Brisbane and throw on Burleigh and Tweed on the GC and Sunshine Coast Falcons from SEQ, which expand over 200km

siv

First Grade
Why not combine NSWRL with the CRL. ? Call it NSW City & Country RL
Give voting rights out with population /geographical.
http://crlnsw.com.au/
The above link has a NSW map with Six district

Select Your Region
map.png

These areas and Monties Newtown North Sydney ..... Plus all NRL teams plus six regions above.
You would have to have a conference system so as to minimize travel. The six regions away games scheduled for convenience. You might only do 12 rounds/ rotating Bi annually. Before the 4pm Sunday NRL game have a NSW CC RL cup game
My take would be 6 regions , which all have 250 thousand population.
1South Coast and Snow
2Riverina and Albury
3.Central Mountains and West
4. New England
5. Northern rivers
6 Mid North Coast

Yes this is how the NSW Cup should be setup ie promote the bigger RM Cup clubs into this structure - as a part time comp like the Qld Cup

But

You should also have National RG and National U20s for full time professional group

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Last I checked it was nearly 300km between Newcastle and Wollongong. Only thing NSW Cup lacks is the teams up the coast i.e. Mackay, Capras, Pride and Blackhawks.

siv

First Grade
Last I checked it was nearly 300km between Newcastle and Wollongong. Only thing NSW Cup lacks is the teams up the coast i.e. Mackay, Capras, Pride and Blackhawks.

4 teams Riverina, Western, New England and Northern Rivers

If you allow NRL clubs to play in their own RG structure

You still have Wenty, Norths, Newtown, Blacktown, Mounties and Illawarra

All you need to do is revert Wyong to CCoast

And add Wests and Ryde-Eastwood

And maybe add Monaro/South Coast ie Queanbeyan/Cooma to Bega

Thats 14 teams

You just set a rule that a home ground must be located within 5hrs by car from Sydney

And thats before you add Adelaide or Perth