What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early predictions for season 2017!

Kilkenny

Coach
Panthers official website updated with the various members of the NRL, NSW Cup and NYC squads.

No real surprises in the NRL squad although interesting Viliame Kikau is part of the 24 named thus far. One spot left and note on Gus Gould's twitter he indicates the last remaining spot is up for grabs so to speak.

Interesting reading the answers to the 'Goal for 2017' from the NSW Cup player where the responses not surprisingly are to make 'NRL debut'. We will have to have a horrendous run of injuries for most to achieve there dream given the strength of our top squad.

Seriously, we really do have quality and depth in our forward pack with players at the peak of there powers and host of the younger forwards all of whom are likely to improve even further in 2017.

The loss of Josh Mansour is massive. There is no one in our squad who can perform to anywhere near his level so there will be some short term pain until his return in June / July if all goes well with his rehabilitation.

My strongest 17 for Round 1 at this early stage, with pre season training only having just commenced and assuming no further long term injuries (granted there will most likely be injuries during the pre season as there almost always is) is;

1. Moylan. 2. DWZ. 3. Blake. 4. Peachy. 5. Hiku. 6. TMM. 7. Cleary. 8. Tamou. 9. Wallace. 10. Merrin. 11. Yeo. 12. JFH. 13. Cartwright. 14. Latu. 15. RCG. 16. Grevsmuhl. 17. Browne.

I can't move Peachy out of the centres after what he showed in the second half of 2016 so no spot for Dean Whare. Likewise Blake who I expect to have a great 2017 if he stays fit and healthy.

Let's get the talk started!!!!!!

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
No Whare? Big call. He would be in my 17 over Hiku, but do you have him on the wing? Is Peach a better Centre than Whare?

Id have Peach on the bench, coming in when the fowards tire each side of the 40, and have Whare in there at Centre. Defensively he is one of the best in that position, and he is looking fit as hell from what i have seen.

No one can replace mansour, but id rather a winger missing than someone like Cleary or Moylan. But he is a mt eater, but we have some good forwards to combat that hopefully.

5starcognac

Juniors
I think we are all thinking about the selection issues for 2017, there are hard decisions to make all over the park. What a problem to have!! What a great squad.

franklin2323

Immortal
My top team is:

Moylan
DWZ
Whare
Peachey
Blake
TMM
Cleary
RCG
Wallace
Tamou
Yeo
Cartwright
Merrin

Latu
Grevsmuhl
JFH
Soni Luke/May Given the 4 th bench rarely plays give a young guy a run

NSW Cup

Edwards
MWZ
Oldfield
Hiku
Satini
Nicholls
ZDC
Leota
Rein
Browne
Akoula
Langi
Kikau

McKendry
Clark
Saunders
May

So top 4 is a pass mark this season

TheFrog

Coach
We appear to have about 1.5 genuine top of the line first grade sides. It's a long time since we've been in this position, 26 years to be precise. We might have to rotate our threequarters in the early rounds in order to find the best combination.

Exsilium

First Grade
Whilst I like our brand of footy I'd like to see us be smarter with the football. Build more pressure and create doubt in the opposition but not just because we launch it around like the under 6's but because we are just that dangerous across the park.

Having said that, I think we can be one of the best defensive sides in the comp. Whare is self explanatory but I'd like to remind people that whilst Hiku isn't everyone's favourite, when he is on song he's a fantastic player. he has wonderful timing but I think his decision making in recent times with us was a little off. I gave him leeway because he was playing 5/8 , centre, fullback and wing every other game at manly. The talent is there. Saw him the other week, less of a porker, looked fit and healthy.

mxlegend99

Referee
1. Moylan
2. Blake
3. Peachey
4. Whare
5. DWZ

Even with Mansour out... unless Moylan moves to 6 theres no room for Hiku.

Exsilium

First Grade
Hiku is the worst defensive centre at the club by a long way. Should be better on the wing

Look, I know he had some piss poor reads but so did Blake.

I predict Hiku will be a real weapon for us next year. He's got a lot of talent and I'd eat my sock if he doesn't come good for us.

betcats

Referee
Look, I know he had some piss poor reads but so did Blake.

I predict Hiku will be a real weapon for us next year. He's got a lot of talent and I'd eat my sock if he doesn't come good for us.

Its not his reads imo, he sets his feet and body to make a tackle far to early so its very easy for his man to step or pass around him. I agree that he is talented, his form offensively was very good before he got hurt.

franklin2323

Immortal
Its not his reads imo, he sets his feet and body to make a tackle far to early so its very easy for his man to step or pass around him. I agree that he is talented, his form offensively was very good before he got hurt.

He rushes up too. Left Sowie stranded too many times no wonder our defence improved when he was out of the side. Wing or nothing for him imo

He has the profile now to get points even when he doesn't deserve them (our very own Thurston)

He's good valve @$11

betcats

Referee
He is just on the ball so much now and directing so much traffic that when we win he is going to get points, very much like JT.

Black Magik

Juniors
With the NYC being scrapped after next season, maybe Gus is pre-empting this by stacking our reserves.

I like our depth though.

Kilkenny

Coach
Asked Gus on twitter whether Thomson Tuigamala could be a 'smokey' to make a debut in 2017?

His response didn't sound overly optimistic. Shame if this kid ruins his undoubted talent. Could be a wrecking ball in the Jason Taumalolo mould but seems he may not have the required 'determination' & 'mental' attitude to make it in the big time.

Big Mick

Referee
NRL

1. Moylan, 2. DWZ, 3. Blake, 4. Whare, 5. Hiku, 6. TMM, 7. Cleary, 8. Tamou, 9. Wallace, 10. RCG, 11. Cartwright, 12. Yeo, 13. Merrin
RES: 14. Latu, 15. Grevsmuhl, 16. JFH, 17. Peach

That's what I'd go with. May be a bit light on the bench but inevitably injuries will occur and that allows guys like McKendry, Kikau, Browne, Leota, Clark, Aku opportunities.

NSW CUP:

1. Edwards, 2. MWZ, 3. Oldfield, 4. Stein/Satini, 5. Tuisese, 6. May, 7. Nicholls, 8. McKendry, 9. Rein, 10. Leota, 11. Akauola, 12. Cartwright, 13. Kikau
14 Browne, 15. Clark, 16. Harawira-Naera, 17. ZDC

Others -
Coleman, Lui-Toso, Hetherington, Pua, Langi, Tuigamala, Luke, Saunders, Stein/Satini, Crichton, Waddell, Epere, Ellis, Katoa

Last edited:

Latest posts