What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC scrapped!!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Ok after reading more into it, I think they are making a mistake. I think they should keep the NYC how it is, so the Under 20s level remains strong. Having double the teams just makes that level weaker, which is why I believe there should also be a proper Reserve Grade comp that has every NRL club in it. NSW Cup and QLD Cup should still exist, but they should be third grade comps.

I disagree, why is it so important to have a strong under 20 competition? it offers.far more.to the game to have a stronger and more wide spread pro second tier. the main problem with the NYC was it seems to be the end of the road for those that don't graduate to first grade.

alien

Referee
I disagree, why is it so important to have a strong under 20 competition? it offers.far more.to the game to have a stronger and more wide spread pro second tier. the main problem with the NYC was it seems to be the end of the road for those that don't graduate to first grade.

Because some players will go from Under 20s straight to First Grade. A strong National Reserve Grade comp and a strong National Under 20s comp is good for the First Grade comp.

Reactions: siv

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Because some players will go from Under 20s straight to First Grade. A strong National Reserve Grade comp and a strong National Under 20s comp is good for the First Grade comp.

The way they are designing it the best of the best will be signed to extended NRL squads and then likely play with affiliates if they are not quite ready for NRL.

Has anybody been able to figure out if
a) The queensland U20 will include Broncos, Cowboys, Titans teams or will it be entirely branded off the current Qcup sides.
b) Is the NSW edition of the U20 to be the NRL sides or are the current NSW cup sides going to be the complete package? As an example would we really be looking at all of canberras development and pathways focused at mounties feeding into a single Raiders NRL squad?

Seems to me like this is going to complicate pathways rather than consolidate if it is going the way I fear.

Edit

Just reading through one of the articles again. Canavan is quoted as saying "there were discussions to introduce proposed implementations in 2022, but said those talks were ongoing"

Is the governing body seriously saying that any new sides even at this level are 5-6 years away in 2022? SO we have Sydney a-grade sides running around in the NSW cup while established and developing areas get ignored despite their grand motto of kids staying at home to develop!

Last edited:

alien

Referee
The way they are designing it the best of the best will be signed to extended NRL squads and then likely play with affiliates if they are not quite ready for NRL.

Yeah and the comps that those affiliate clubs are in won't be as strong as what a National Reserve Grade comp would be, so I don't think that is what is best for the First Grade comp.

a) The queensland U20 will include Broncos, Cowboys, Titans teams or will it be entirely branded off the current Qcup sides.
b) Is the NSW edition of the U20 to be the NRL sides or are the current NSW cup sides going to be the complete package? As an example would we really be looking at all of canberras development and pathways focused at mounties feeding into a single Raiders NRL squad?

Seems to me like this is going to complicate pathways rather than consolidate if it is going the way I fear.

Good question. It sounds like to me the Under 20s clubs will be the same clubs that will be in the NSW Cup and QLD Cup, which means you would have to expect the same for the Under 18s and Under 16s clubs, except for any overseas clubs in the NSW Cup and QLD Cup. So basically the NRL first grade clubs will not be district clubs anymore, but just NRL franchises, and the new junior districts will be that of the NSW Cup and QLD Cup clubs. We may even see a couple of Sydney NRL clubs in the same junior district, and eventually they might be pressured to merge, or one of them to relocate.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Edit

Just reading through one of the articles again. Canavan is quoted as saying "there were discussions to introduce proposed implementations in 2022, but said those talks were ongoing"

Is the governing body seriously saying that any new sides even at this level are 5-6 years away in 2022? SO we have Sydney a-grade sides running around in the NSW cup while established and developing areas get ignored despite their grand motto of kids staying at home to develop!
A) The QLD Cup arrangements will continue as-is.
B) I'd also like to know what the NSWRL intends to do.

As for your edit, Toowoomba is supposed to be rejoining the QLD Cup in a season or two, so I'd assume that the 2022 comment is wrt the NRL.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah and the comps that those affiliate clubs are in won't be as strong as what a National Reserve Grade comp would be, so I don't think that is what is best for the First Grade comp.

Good question. It sounds like to me the Under 20s clubs will be the same clubs that will be in the NSW Cup and QLD Cup, which means you would have to expect the same for the Under 18s and Under 16s clubs, except for any overseas clubs in the NSW Cup and QLD Cup. So basically the NRL first grade clubs will not be district clubs anymore, but just NRL franchises, and the new junior districts will be that of the NSW Cup and QLD Cup clubs. We may even see a couple of Sydney NRL clubs in the same junior district, and eventually they might be pressured to merge, or one of them to relocate.

I would think u20's will involve the same teams as the Ball and Matts are now.

siv

First Grade
I would think u20's will involve the same teams as the Ball and Matts are now.

Without the two academy teams and Perth

It could mean the return of the Bears Flegg team

And there will be a question around Aucklands involvement

franklin2323

Immortal
Without the two academy teams and Perth

It could mean the return of the Bears Flegg team

And there will be a question around Aucklands involvement

Auckland need a 20's team. They would want to be part of it. Don't see how it will be better then we have now

siv

First Grade
Auckland need a 20's team. They would want to be part of it. Don't see how it will be better then we have now
4 Qld teams will be spread across 16 clubs

Makes for a riveting final on GF day

Just like RG last year

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
So 12 months out from the potential start of the new u20 structure are we any wiser as to what it will look like.in both states?

alien

Referee
They should keep the national youth competition (Under 20s) how it is and start a national reserve grade comp where every NRL club has a reserve grade side in that comp. NSW Cup and QLD Cup would still exist, but would be a level beneath the national reserve grade comp.

Reactions: siv

Stewbum

Juniors
They should keep the national youth competition (Under 20s) how it is and start a national reserve grade comp where every NRL club has a reserve grade side in that comp. NSW Cup and QLD Cup would still exist, but would be a level beneath the national reserve grade comp.
Well you can take that crap idea and shove it where the sun don't shine. Good to see the Sydney-centric bullshit lives on.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Does anyone have any idea what this will look like? Im assuming the NSW and QLD Cup will have a reserve grade team and under 20's and a under 18's. With the NRL clubs just having a first grade squad.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
The QLD Cup is pretty much perfectly set up and can run with,
Norths Devils - Redcliffe Dolphins - Easts Tigers - Souths Logan Magpies - Ipswich Jets - Wynnum Manly Seagulls - Sunshine Coast Falcons - Burleigh Bears - Tweed Heads Seagulls - Central Queensland Capras - Townsville Blackhawks - Northern Pride - Mackay Cutters - Western Mustangs (Toowomba) - PNG Hunters.

It would be great to have the Western Mustangs in the QLD Cup and for PNG to have a 20's and 18's teams.
The big question is how are they going to setup the NSW Cup teams if there to be independant and also run junior teams. Will the regions be run by the biggest junior club such as a Blacktown or Wyong or independant new clubs? A rough guess could see,

Newcastle Rebels or Wests Newcastle representing the Newcastle and Hunter
Illawarra Steelers representing Illawarra south coast region
Wests Magpies represeting Campbelltown, MacArthur, Camden
North Sydney Bears representing the north of sydney and Manly/North Shore
Central Coast Centurions or Wyong Roos representng the Central Coast
Cumberland Blues or Wentworthiville Magpies or new brand representing the Parramatta region
Blacktown Workers or new brand reprsenting Blacktown and Penrith
Riverina Thunder or Melbourne brand representing South NSW (Wagga Wagga, Albury) and Victoria
Sydney Fleet or new brand representing east and south sydney
Bidgee Bulls or new brand representing the ACT
Team in the Sutherland region representing Cronulal and St George region
Newtown Jets or new brand representing the Inner West and Canterbury
NSW Country team representing all Country areas not covered (based in Bathurst, Mudgee, Dubbo)
Auckland Lions or new brand representing Auckland
New Zealand All Golds or new brand representing Chrichtuch, Wellington and rest of NZ
Fiji Warriors represent Fiji and other parts of the pacific

That's a 16 team NSW Cup which I think would work with soem tinkering but im not sure that it will save much money compared to the Holden Cup. What do you guys think?

Latest posts