What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is our best forward pack ?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Nah, you dont. So you've made the selection - why Marketo? Whats his role? What does he bring? Why have you opted for him, despite obvious deficiencies, over the likes of Vaughn, McInnes and other such players who have actual first-grade level ability?

You bet I don't.

As mentioned elsewhere, Marketo's versatility is invaluable. Please name me one other forward that can play in the 'pack', backline, and dummy half.

This is why I have "opted" for him. I also reckon Marketo gets a "bum deal" from those obsessed with his perceived lack of size, and will not acknowledge when he plays well.

As for this you've named...

Vaughan: a borderline first grader who Ricky Stuart didn't want.

McInness: certainly not an upgrade on Rein, and another 'reject' from another club.

I hope this helps.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
You bet I don't.

As mentioned elsewhere, Marketo's versatility is invaluable. Please name me one other forward that can play in the 'pack', backline, and dummy half.

This is why I have "opted" for him. I also reckon Marketo gets a "bum deal" from those obsessed with his perceived lack of size, and will not acknowledge when he plays well.

McInness: certainly not an upgrade on Rein, and another 'reject' from another club.

I hope this helps.

You're actually so deluded it's quite amusing.

Gareth67

First Grade
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Does it look like I give a Fook !

The remark made by the great Australian actor Errol Flynn , when told that he had just had a ' romp in the hay ' with the vicars daughter !

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
There's a difference between imitation and mockery. I think you should learn to tell which is which.

And yet, you don't recognise condescension when it whacks you across the face like a proverbial "turkey slap"?

Amusing.

It appears I can do it a lot more efficiently than you.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Does it look like I give a Fook !

The remark made by the great Australian actor Errol Flynn , when told that he had just had a ' romp in the hay ' with the vicars daughter !

I accredited Mr Flynn in an earlier post.

"Oh Erroll, I would do anything to be just like him".

Gareth67

First Grade
I accredited Mr Flynn in an earlier post.

"Oh Erroll, I would do anything to be just like him".

He once had the make-up department in a Hollywood studio make him a ' deck ' that was
approx. 14 inches in length , wedged it between his legs with a dressing gown over the top , and just let the thing dangle there until an unsuspecting person walked into his dressing room and scare the hell out of the poor soul . Errol Flynn , one of my favourite actors , and as mentioned with a great sense of humour .

BennyV

Referee
You bet I don't.

I hope this helps.
I think you are confusing versatility with 'Mary shoving him into the team in order for him to play' (lets face it, his family connection to the coach is the only reason he is still here, let alone playing first grad ever). Simply put, he cannot play in those positions well enough to justify any consideration in first grade.

You mention hooker - his service from dummy half makes Rein look like Cam Smith. He doesnt have the size, speed or guile from dummy half to be a threat. His only quality in that position is defensive numbers. Havili would have been a far better option this year, and no other coach in the league would consider him at hooker (or in first grade, for that matter).

Backline: LOL. Again, only Mary would consider such a move. Slow, no agility or acceleration.

Just because the worst coach in the league played him in these positions doesnt make him 'versatile'. It makes the coach a moron.
He gets a bum deal because he's simply not good enough. Tries his bum off, and good on him for that, but wouldnt get a run in first grade under any other coach. Why do we need a player who can play in the backline, pack and hooker? We should be carrying a utility who can cover hooker and backrow, and both Havili and McInness are upgrades on Jake in both positions. And if someone in the backline goes down, Thompson can shuffle out to centre.

Marketo is not first grade quality. He's not the biggest problem we have in our roster, but he personifies the problems within our club - bloke who's not up to standard but keeps getting selected because he 'tried hard' and has family ties to his superiors.

I'll leave your comments on Vaughn and McInnes alone, no point in arguing them. 2017 will tell the story.

Jake Marketo is a utility player at park football level.

Hooker/Half

He is a guy who has a high work rate in defence. Poor dummy half, non existent passing game, zero guile, no ability to play what is in front of him. In short we are better off giving Reece Robson 10-15 minutes per half than play Marketo.

Centre

Lacks speed and size.

Not good enough to play centre. Saints could use Thompson or Frizzell if a centre was injured.

Forward

Jake makes very little yardage when used as a back rower. Zero ball playing skill.

He is not a first grade NRL player. Would not get a spot in a game day squad in any other club with the possible exception of Newcastle. I would not select him in a 25 man squad because he reached his ceiling years ago. He is holding up the development of promising juniors.

Time to press for excellence

If our club aspires to once again compete at the highest level, Jake has no place in the club.

The following juniors/young players should play FG before Marketo is considered for selection:

Host-FR/SR/Lock
Leilua-FR/SR
Sele-FR/SR
Kennedy-FR/SR
Lawrie-FR/SR
Isaac Thompson-Centre/Winger
Garrick-Winger/Centre
Herbert Centre/Winger/Full Back
Field-Half,5/8/Full Back

We don't need a mediocre "utility" player !

Jake Marketo is a utility player at park football level.

Hooker/Half

He is a guy who has a high work rate in defence. Poor dummy half, non existent passing game, zero guile, no ability to play what is in front of him. In short we are better off giving Reece Robson 10-15 minutes per half than play Marketo.

Centre

Lacks speed and size.

Not good enough to play centre. Saints could use Thompson or Frizzell if a centre was injured.

Forward

Jake makes very little yardage when used as a back rower. Zero ball playing skill.

He is not a first grade NRL player. Would not get a spot in a game day squad in any other club with the possible exception of Newcastle. I would not select him in a 25 man squad because he reached his ceiling years ago. He is holding up the development of promising juniors.

Time to press for excellence

If our club aspires to once again compete at the highest level, Jake has no place in the club.

The following juniors/young players should play FG before Marketo is considered for selection:

Host-FR/SR/Lock
Leilua-FR/SR
Sele-FR/SR
Kennedy-FR/SR
Lawrie-FR/SR
Isaac Thompson-Centre/Winger
Garrick-Winger/Centre
Herbert Centre/Winger/Full Back
Field-Half,5/8/Full Back

We don't need a mediocre "utility" player !
I agree with what you are saying but who is kennedy do you mean kerr.

Host has already proven he can handle first grade.
Sele has handled the NSW Cup with ease and should be next in line.
Leilua needs better fitness and needs to learn to tackle better.
Lawrie isn't quite ready but games with the Cutters will certainly help.
Garrick is still very young and needs time with the Cutters.
Herbert looks ready but needs time with the Cutters.
Field is rather small and needs to bulk up for the rigours of first grade needs time with the Cutters.
Thompson injury prone and rather lazy at times but a big body that could handle first grade before Garrick.
Kerr is an unknown at this stage but had good raps and is a big boy.

I agree with what you are saying but who is kennedy do you mean kerr.

Host has already proven he can handle first grade.
Sele has handled the NSW Cup with ease and should be next in line.
Leilua needs better fitness and needs to learn to tackle better.
Lawrie isn't quite ready but games with the Cutters will certainly help.
Garrick is still very young and needs time with the Cutters.
Herbert looks ready but needs time with the Cutters.
Field is rather small and needs to bulk up for the rigours of first grade needs time with the Cutters.
Thompson injury prone and rather lazy at times but a big body that could handle first grade before Garrick.
Kerr is an unknown at this stage but had good raps and is a big boy.

Yes sorry meant Kerr

Point is we have enough FG quality in the forwards

We need to progressively give the quality juniors FG experience as they have higher ceiling than Jake

You shouldn't be given a FG jersey because you try hard

We have enough experience in the forwards

What we need at all times is quality

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I think you are confusing versatility with 'Mary shoving him into the team in order for him to play' (lets face it, his family connection to the coach is the only reason he is still here, let alone playing first grad ever). Simply put, he cannot play in those positions well enough to justify any consideration in first grade.

You mention hooker - his service from dummy half makes Rein look like Cam Smith. He doesnt have the size, speed or guile from dummy half to be a threat. His only quality in that position is defensive numbers. Havili would have been a far better option this year, and no other coach in the league would consider him at hooker (or in first grade, for that matter).

Backline: LOL. Again, only Mary would consider such a move. Slow, no agility or acceleration.

Just because the worst coach in the league played him in these positions doesnt make him 'versatile'. It makes the coach a moron.
He gets a bum deal because he's simply not good enough. Tries his bum off, and good on him for that, but wouldnt get a run in first grade under any other coach. Why do we need a player who can play in the backline, pack and hooker? We should be carrying a utility who can cover hooker and backrow, and both Havili and McInness are upgrades on Jake in both positions. And if someone in the backline goes down, Thompson can shuffle out to centre.

Marketo is not first grade quality. He's not the biggest problem we have in our roster, but he personifies the problems within our club - bloke who's not up to standard but keeps getting selected because he 'tried hard' and has family ties to his superiors.

I'll leave your comments on Vaughn and McInnes alone, no point in arguing them. 2017 will tell the story.

If anyone is in need of a template that illustrates classic deflection, paradoxes, and tautology, look no further.

This post has it all. My only surprise us that it doesn't contain any pejorative rebuttals (this may come later).

Sigh.

So you don't agree with my assessment regarding Marketo...I get it and, quite frankly, I don't care.

We have differing opinions and won't change each other's minds.

I'll live.

BennyV

Referee
If anyone is in need of a template that illustrates classic deflection, paradoxes, and tautology, look no further.

This post has it all. My only surprise us that it doesn't contain any pejorative rebuttals (this may come later).

Sigh.

So you don't agree with my assessment regarding Marketo...I get it and, quite frankly, I don't care.

We have differing opinions and won't change each other's minds.

I'll live.
Im assuming that by 'this post' you mean your own, considering youve offered no reasoning, no disagreement with what I'm saying and, based on your team list, no knowledge of requirements of first grade footballers!

Fair enough, as you were.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Im assuming that by 'this post' you mean your own, considering youve offered no reasoning, no disagreement with what I'm saying and, based on your team list, no knowledge of requirements of first grade footballers!

Fair enough, as you were.

You're both a sophist and a bigot.

(and, not a whole lot in between)

Your predictable riposte will no doubt, be exhilarating (or should that be 'exasperating'?).

Moving on now.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
You're both a sophist and a bigot.

(and, not a whole lot in between)

Your predictable riposte will no doubt, be exhilarating (or should that be 'exasperating'?).

Moving on now.

Do you write down your responses on parchment with a quill before you type them onto this forum?

Please stop trying to show off with your completely obnoxious elitist flair. We're talking Rugby League, take off your Elizabethan robes and come back down to Earth.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Do you write down your responses on parchment with a quill before you type them onto this forum?

Please stop trying to show off with your completely obnoxious elitist flair. We're talking Rugby League, take off your Elizabethan robes and come back down to Earth.

Do you often feel the need to respond and advocate on the behalf of others?

Apparently so.

I'm certain "BennyV" is quite capable of looking after himself independently.

Speaking of planets, I'd rather be where In currently located instead of Uranus (as you have a proclivity to espouse nonsense out of yours a fair bit).