What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Mirror

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Playtest worked well as a horror/suspense story but I didn't feel it was providing any kind of deeper meaning or social commentary about anything in particular which is what I normally like about this series.

Nosedive on the other hand I thought was a great spin on our current social media society. The final scene with the two characters screaming at each other from their cells was brilliant, as you could tell they were enjoying being able to say whatever they wanted without any fear of reprisal in the way of being downrated.
Ironically, they were speaking to each like they were anonymous people on a forum. It was also a good episode.

Playtest, I thought the lead actor was poor, but given the only other time I've seen the guy is in 22 Jump Street, I may be judging him a little too much. I just thought his 'enthusiasm' was pretty poor acting. The episode was actually pretty accurate when you look at the direction things like VR are heading, barring the ending obviously.

elyod138

Bench
Ironically, they were speaking to each like they were anonymous people on a forum. It was also a good episode.

Playtest, I thought the lead actor was poor, but given the only other time I've seen the guy is in 22 Jump Street, I may be judging him a little too much. I just thought his 'enthusiasm' was pretty poor acting. The episode was actually pretty accurate when you look at the direction things like VR are heading, barring the ending obviously.
I think the enthusiasm was a direction choice. He had a cavelier attitude and was kind of obnoxious and not taking it seriously, to contrast against what happens towards the end.

I thought he was pretty good in 'Everybody Wants Some' as a more laid back character.

vvvrulz

Coach
Just started this, seen the first three.

"The Entire History of You" was incredible.
Simple plot but great concept with so much promise, movie in the making apparently.

Scariest part is it's just a matter of time before that technology is possible.

Timbo

Staff member
I actually really enjoyed the performance of Wyatt Russell in Playtest. His father is one of my favourite actors of all-time though, so I may be giving him a bit of leeway.

Also, I watched it in a dark room when there was a storm going outside... I have very low tolerance for horror. Scared the hell out of me.

vvvrulz

Coach
I actually really enjoyed the performance of Wyatt Russell in Playtest. His father is one of my favourite actors of all-time though, so I may be giving him a bit of leeway.

No he was brilliant, absolute natural.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out who he was after watching the episode.

azzah72

Bench
I don't think I dislike an episode.
Literally been bingeing them over the last few days and only have 2 left I think.

The worst one (and by no means do Mean bad) for me was man against Fire.

I dont know why, it just didn't click as much for me.

Nosedive freaked me out as that just seemed like a possible reality of we keep letting Tech and socialedia invade our lives.

San junipeiro was great.

White Xmas and white bear I thought were great also.

Bit every episode is a solid 8/10.

Just great quality.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't think I dislike an episode.
Literally been bingeing them over the last few days and only have 2 left I think.

The worst one (and by no means do Mean bad) for me was man against Fire.

I dont know why, it just didn't click as much for me.

Nosedive freaked me out as that just seemed like a possible reality of we keep letting Tech and socialedia invade our lives.

San junipeiro was great.

White Xmas and white bear I thought were great also.

Bit every episode is a solid 8/10.

Just great quality.

I watched Man Against Fire last night and it didn't quite click for me either - but I picked the twist almost immediately so I'm wondering if that was why. The others had me going right till the end.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Just got through the first episode, Nosedive. The satire is sharp and on point. A society that rewards people based on their social media ratings, with every interaction that people have with one another fake as f**k with the objective purely about getting the best rating possible.

f**k I love this show.
Just started watching this show after reading this thread. Thanks for the heads up.

The Prime Minister ep was crazy, but Nosedive was a freaking masterpiece. A painfully accurate stylised exaggeration of our social media culture.

Ive only seen the 3 eps but can't wait to watch the rest.

vvvrulz

Coach
Only got a few left now, so far every one of them is worth a watch. The concepts although featured in bite-sized snippets in this anthology are good enough to spawn their own movies and even full fledged tv shows.

Shut Up and Dance is seriously intense viewing, shockingly realistic too.

bileduct

Coach
Tell your friends!

Seriously, I've told every merkin under the sun to watch this show but hardly anyone bothers. The ones that do then won't shut the f**k up about it!

elyod138

Bench
Only got a few left now, so far every one of them is worth a watch. The concepts although featured in bite-sized snippets in this anthology are good enough to spawn their own movies and even full fledged tv shows.
Westworld is like an extended full season Black Mirror episode, I highly recommend it to those who like Black Mirror.

perverse

Referee
Tell your friends!

Seriously, I've told every merkin under the sun to watch this show but hardly anyone bothers. The ones that do then won't shut the f**k up about it!
I do the same, as you say few bother. Of those that do most seem to dislike it bar a few, conversely to your experience. Many seem put off by the first episode, even if I tell them to skip it. I think you either love it or you don't, really. I haven't had anyone tell me it was just ok.

Timbo

Staff member
My flatmates and I just got around to watching White Christmas - we all watched the first episode together and agreed to save it as a house Christmas episode when we were all at home for dinner as we'd all been told how great it is.

My jaw is on the f**king floor.

Aragorn

First Grade
I binged all of season 3 and now onto season 2.

Every episode is truely f**king amazing.

I struggled during the first 5-10 min. of each episode though, as you dont have a clue whats going on. However, by the end of it , I'm like "holy f**k, that was brilliant!!!"

The themes around advanced technology really creeps me out.

Looking forward to season 2 this evening.

vvvrulz

Coach
White Christmas... wow. I saw the major twist coming a little early but it still threw plenty at you so it didn't matter. Left with a cold feeling afterwards, its actually quite horrific how everyone's fates ended, the real beauty being there's no heroes or villains, its just plain old humans.

Men Under Fire, not as good but well worth a watch. Spotting the twist early doesn't help here though, its the only real punchline it had

bileduct

Coach
I do the same, as you say few bother. Of those that do most seem to dislike it bar a few, conversely to your experience. Many seem put off by the first episode, even if I tell them to skip it. I think you either love it or you don't, really. I haven't had anyone tell me it was just ok.
I tell people that the episodes can be watched in any particular order but suggest they start with White Christmas first. That seems to get favorable results.

vvvrulz

Coach
The first one is oddly enough one of the worst ones, doesn't leave a good impression of some of the great ideas that follow.

Incorrect

Coach
I've watched seasons 1 and 2, including White Christmas. Complete spin out.

I really like that song the girl sings on the talent show in the 15 million credits episode... and I noticed that it's the same song the girl sings during Karaoke in White Christmas... I've never heard it before, pretty catchy

Latest posts