What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Alert! Coaches Magic Chairs

possm

Coach
Any of the coaches being sacked Taylor, Hasler and possibly Mage would be paid out till end of year. So if one of these are to be our coach, Mary could stay on till endo of year on the condition that the new coach would have complete say, with salary cap limitations on who to keep and let go. And of course who to bring to the Club in 2018.

Millward would have to report to the new coach.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Well one of the rumours states that Cleary had knocked back Tigers AND Dragons to sign with Bulldogs. If true surely that points to Dragons being in the market for a new coach, particularly if they reached the point of making an offer already.

Brutalitops

Juniors
If Mary continues this years run, i dont believe he should be sacked. Rather just not resigned as a head coach.

*hunkers down for the incoming flak*
I've got no problem with Mary seeing out the year as long as we get a new coach next year.

Over the first 4 rounds he has probably earnt the right to see out the year, but unfortunately for him his last 2 years have shown he has not earnt the right to an extension beyond that, regardless of this season.

possm

Coach
I've got no problem with Mary seeing out the year as long as we get a new coach next year.

Over the first 4 rounds he has probably earnt the right to see out the year, but unfortunately for him his last 2 years have shown he has not earnt the right to an extension beyond that, regardless of this season.
Well said, I agree.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
If Mary continues this years run, i dont believe he should be sacked. Rather just not resigned as a head coach.

I agree with this approach but only if we stay in the top 6 otherwise he has to go earlier, not convinced Mary is the reason we are doing ok, other factors are at play. Whatever the outcome it's time for a new coach. This of course would have to change if we make the gf and Mary amazes everyone.

Old Timer

Coach
Warriors coach has more to worry about than Mary.
Kearney will be a goner very quickly or if not Cleary will be put in above him.
Barrett is safe and Des has several options open to him.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Madge moved on as well.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
How about:
Cleary to the Dogs
Hasler to the Dragons
Mage to the Tigers
Mary to the Bunnies LOL!

I think your right with Cleary to the Dogs.
Not sure about Hasler to us.
Mage will clash with the outspoken Tigers board.
Don't think Bunnies need a new water-boy but will stand corrected.

BennyV

Referee

Don't duck, at this stage it's a good approach. To replace Mary on the spot unless we go on a massive losing streak (like the ones he's lead us on in the past) would be silly and likely see an uprise in player and/or fan distaste.

Regardless of results, however, aiming for a coach of Haslers calibre in 2018 is a no brainer.

Crush

Coach
Don't duck, at this stage it's a good approach. To replace Mary on the spot unless we go on a massive losing streak (like the ones he's lead us on in the past) would be silly and likely see an uprise in player and/or fan distaste.

Regardless of results, however, aiming for a coach of Haslers calibre in 2018 is a no brainer.
I think Laurie Daley would be a good replacement....

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Of the five candidates Cleary would be the only acceptable candidate and he is not that good not breaking even on percentages of wins and losses only winning 49% as opposed to Norm Provan 68%, Graeme Langlands'59%, Harry Bath 52%, Roy Masters 57% Brian Smith 52%, David Waite 50% and Wayne Bennett 62 %

St Georgio

Juniors
The board won't wait till end of year to decide Mary's future. If Mary jags a few more wins, he'll get an extension. By end of year though, the board will end up with egg on its face. Again.

Straight Shooter
Please explain to me why can't the board Waite until the end of season to make a decision, why are they so impatient, McGregor will see out the now, theres plenty of alternatives if he fails or succeeds?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
NEWS ALERT !!!!!!!!

Supposedly, the Dragons have just had a big shake up at board level with Warren Lockwood moving aside after twenty years or so. Ex player now on board.

I don't have the details but it is listed with the Daily Telegraph.

possm

Coach
Please explain to me why can't the board Waite until the end of season to make a decision, why are they so impatient, McGregor will see out the now, theres plenty of alternatives if he fails or succeeds?
Because if we don't move to sign a new coach, they will be signed by another Club. Most coaches would want to spend the rest of the year looking at their roster and making decisions on who they want to keep and who to let go. Also who to buy.

A new coach now would give Mary payment for the balance of his contract And it would give the new coach time to prepare for 2018.

Bench
I still don't think Mary will get the boot any time soon. If and when it comes there won't be any coaches available.
Hasler does not impress me after his last few seasons with the Grubs and it looks like Cleary will go to the Tigers.
Daley has no experience with coaching a club side. SOO is completely different to coaching of a club.
JD is being groomed to replace Bennett, which could be sooner then later.
The names being mentioned don't inspire any reason to appoint them.
It's going to take a magician to solve the issue of a coach for us.

I still don't think Mary will get the boot any time soon. If and when it comes there won't be any coaches available.
Hasler does not impress me after his last few seasons with the Grubs and it looks like Cleary will go to the Tigers.
Daley has no experience with coaching a club side. SOO is completely different to coaching of a club.
JD is being groomed to replace Bennett, which could be sooner then later.
The names being mentioned don't inspire any reason to appoint them.
It's going to take a magician to solve the issue of a coach for us.

Anyone is better than Mary. Anyone.

Straight Shooter