What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

Old Timer

Coach
What is your relationship to Gareth Widdop? Why do you criticise various team members and the coaching staff A LOT, but completely flip out at any criticism of Widdop?
Obviously you don't read everything people post and therefore falsely accuse them of things that you wish to keep banging on about.
I have previously criticised him and have never stated that he is an immortal Dragon or the like.
By the way I have never met Widdop, don't know anyone who knows him, have no intel as to his contract etc I just believe him to have ability and would like to see that all come to fruition while he plays with our club.
You keep going on about Bennett as if that should have some relevance.
He has already stated that he has Milford and is more than happy with him so why would he need Widdop anyway.
After all you don't replace a 7 with a 6 like we did with Marshall which turned out catastrophic and waisted 2 years.
Now you need to get up to speed as Bellamy who is probably the best NRL coach in the last 10 years had plenty of good things to say about Widdop.
He would have kept him but obvious cap constraints and Widdop's own desire made that unachievable.
I personally don't like Bellamy but I do take his comments seriously and believe him to be a great judge of footballers.
Do you think Bellamy is a dud coach or a bad judge of footballers?
Why are you not willing to admit that his superior knowledge in these areas should be accepted over your warped perceptions?

giboz71

First Grade
His goal kicking is much improved. With Duges and the forwards storming through the opposition defence on a regular basis , he is getting plenty of practice. In the big games against tough opposition, with the lack of creativity in the halves and lack of speed in the outside backs, we are next to no chance.

Apart from leading the comp in points he has:

3 tries
3 try assists
2 Line breaks
2 errors

Pretty impressive stats in 4 games.

BTW, here's Thurston's stats:

1 try
3 try assists
0 Line breaks
5 errors

Who's having a better season?

BrissyRedV

Bench

3 tries
3 try assists
2 Line breaks
2 errors

1 try
3 try assists
0 Line breaks
5 errors

Mate, Thurston is a 7 not a 6...

Old Timer

Coach
getsmarty
Yes it is an old chestnut with Capital and all his variations and I do at times enjoy the banter and rants attached to it .
It would no doubt be easy to switch him off but I think of it as being bit like Sudoku.
Something to fill in the time with and if sensible about it not too hard to work out but must be careful as it can become addictive at times.
Re Mc Crone
Early on I was a real advocate of his as a bench / utility player.
Unfortunately for whatever reason I do not see that he has delivered the skill set I thought he had and that is probably reflected in his low number of NRL games for the years he has been around.
This year we are travelling OK and as I posted earlier re the conundrum with Widdop being better by miles with Mc Crone at half so far this year I just believe that the club could get much more out of this team if it truly addressed the 7 jumper.
It was supposed to happen in the trials and it plainly didn't occur so we inherited him.
Just because we are winning doesn't mean we should avoid getting the best team on the paddock.
I do not believe that Mc Crone will be anywhere good enough against the good sides who we need to beat to make the 8 let alone contend for the top 4 spots
Mc Crone might be supposedly kicking to take pressure off Widdop's shoulders but that does not mean we shouldn't be critical if it is crap.
I would be happy to see Mann play at 7 in reggies and if no good accept Mc Crone until season end or when the opportunity to blood Field presents itself.
IMO Mann deserved a go and didn't get it and he has so much more upside to downside in respect of being given a chance.
No good of waiting to when we lose 4 or 5 games in a short period encase pro active behaviour and selection policy may very well have avoided them as per Lafai's continual selection last year.

emu62

Juniors
Congratulations to Widdop for scoring 500 pts for the club . I look forward to watching him score his next 500 for the club. All in all a huge effort for apparently the worst player in the NRL & someone who is not even up up to NSW cup standard

loveoursaints

Juniors
He i
Congratulations to Widdop for scoring 500 pts for the club . I look forward to watching him score his next 500 for the club. All in all a huge effort for apparently the worst player in the NRL & someone who is not even up up to NSW cup standard
He is a goal kicker you nog. He hasnt score 500 points from tries.... lmao. In fact he has hardly scored any tries. His goal kicking average is not in the top 40% of kickers either...big deal if he kicks 70% of his goal attempts to get to 500 points. He is paid to create tries which he certainty DOES NOT.

emu62

Juniors
He i

He is a goal kicker you nog. He hasnt score 500 points from tries.... lmao. In fact he has hardly scored any tries. His goal kicking average is not in the top 40% of kickers either...big deal if he kicks 70% of his goal attempts to get to 500 points. He is paid to create tries which he certainty DOES NOT.

My congratulations were to Widdop scoring 500 points, how he scored them , i dont really care. At the moment we are winning games & playing some reasonable football, so who scores the tries or sets them up, again i dont really care but thank you for pointing out that Widdop is a goal kicker, that is very observant of you.

blacksafake

First Grade

3 tries
3 try assists
2 Line breaks
2 errors

1 try
3 try assists
0 Line breaks
5 errors

Or if you compare his current form with Milford,Morgan & to a lesser extent Maloney he's playing better than them imo.

Last edited:

Capital

Juniors

3 tries
3 try assists
2 Line breaks
2 errors

1 try
3 try assists
0 Line breaks
5 errors

Well Widdop got a try assist from that Lafai try last weekend. He took it on the last and passed it to Lafai and Lafai had a lot of work to do. In the first round Widdop put Thommo through a nice hole and Thommo still had to beat the fullback but it would have taken a spectacular effort for Moylan to stop him. That was a good try assist to Widdop. The one to Lafai last weekend was not.

As for Thurston I don't follow NQ so I hope his form is slipping but having said that, I have a few comments.

1. Thurston has the runs on the board. Widdop most definitely does not.
2. I would bet the only thing stopping Thurston from having 3 or 4 or more try assists if the Warriors played that way against NQ would have been Morgan getting those try assists instead.
3. As for errors, Thurston probably has around 3 times the number of touches that Widdop has per game.

Would you be so kind as to provide a link to the place you got those stats from?

Capital

Juniors
My congratulations were to Widdop scoring 500 points, how he scored them , i dont really care. At the moment we are winning games & playing some reasonable football, so who scores the tries or sets them up, again i dont really care but thank you for pointing out that Widdop is a goal kicker, that is very observant of you.
yes it's good we are winning but concerning that much needed changes are not being made. Remember I said this. If we get into the big games this season, the lack of creativity in the halves and lack of speed in the 3/4s is going to bite us. I'm in favor of dropping Lafai and Widdop for Milne and Mann immediately despite those two being much better so far this year. That's not saying much given how bad they were last year. Widdop was also piss-poor against Cronulla and the whole team was poor against Parra.

Capital

Juniors
Why bother Old Timer...This chestnut from Capital

Why do you turn on McCrone on every thread? There is a thread dedicated to McCrone. I agree, his kicking has been very poor but there is a very good reason he has been given the task of kicking in general play. Because he has proven most adept at it of the current team.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/tedesco-rumour.462458/page-12 #231

Delusional stuff...or Heavy Trolling?

You are right.HA HA HA That is ridiculous! McCrone only calls for the ball for kicks 80% of the time (and Dugan and McInnes have both kicked as well) and the dummy half or whoever is passing the ball to McCrone to kick passes it to McCrone 4 games in a row because the coaching staff has told the team and the dummy half and playmakers specifically that Widdop is the best kicker in general play in the team. Obviously! You are really sharp in noticing that.

giboz71

First Grade
Well Widdop got a try assist from that Lafai try last weekend. He took it on the last and passed it to Lafai and Lafai had a lot of work to do. In the first round Widdop put Thommo through a nice hole and Thommo still had to beat the fullback but it would have taken a spectacular effort for Moylan to stop him. That was a good try assist to Widdop. The one to Lafai last weekend was not.

As for Thurston I don't follow NQ so I hope his form is slipping but having said that, I have a few comments.

1. Thurston has the runs on the board. Widdop most definitely does not.
2. I would bet the only thing stopping Thurston from having 3 or 4 or more try assists if the Warriors played that way against NQ would have been Morgan getting those try assists instead.
3. As for errors, Thurston probably has around 3 times the number of touches that Widdop has per game.

Would you be so kind as to provide a link to the place you got those stats from?

NRL Website.

blacksafake

First Grade
Better but not nearly well enough to be offered a new contract yet or get an offer from another NRL team.
And you obviously know for a fact that the club or any other club has not made an offer.
I have heard from a pretty reliable source that the dogs are sounding him out.

Old Timer

Coach
Capital
No reply to my post?
I take it you therefore agree with my position especially about Bellamy.
Thank You

Capital

Juniors
Capital
No reply to my post?
I take it you therefore agree with my position especially about Bellamy.
Thank You

I'm busy and already had several people to reply to. You are second to last in terms of importance. I will get back to you when I have time and nothing better to do. Before that, I have a homework assignment for you. Try computing in your p*a brain why an oppostion coach as ruthless as Bellamy would be silent before Widdop was signed by a rival club but then come out and be full of praise after he was signed.
I hate Bellamy but admire his bloody-mindedness toward rivals and his ruthlessness. This is precisely what we need.

Capital

Juniors
And you obviously know for a fact that the club or any other club has not made an offer.
I have heard from a pretty reliable source that the dogs are sounding him out.
I very much doubt it. A club that demands success like them? Widdop has next to no chance of getting an offer. I have been hearing for a few weeks Brisbane are going hard after Mitchell Moses and Canterbury want Brooks or Moses and move Mbye to 5/8. If the Tigers do lose either one, I would guess Widdop has a chance at a 1 or 2 years deal on a fraction of the money he is on now.

But if Widdop plays like he did against Penrith, he has a chance but he had better start soon.