What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Mentioning Rein and Dugan in the same sentence is ridiculous.
Not really when put in context. The club put a value on Rein which Rein disagreed with so he went to market. Backfired big time. Will this happen to Dugan? Probably not, but it would give a clearer indication of his true market value.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I buy a lot of things from this one particular shop. For the most part, they are normally the best value for the items, but occasionally I will find an item for cheaper somewhere else. If I do find an item cheaper that this place stocks, I always go back to them to see if they can match the price because they have been good to me in the past.

The club has been good to Dugan. Surely, going to market and getting an actual market value is not that much of a hassle and come back to the club and see if they can match it? That way he looks after himself and the club does not pay overs. After all, isn't that why he pays his manager?

Old Timer

Coach
I buy a lot of things from this one particular shop. For the most part, they are normally the best value for the items, but occasionally I will find an item for cheaper somewhere else. If I do find an item cheaper that this place stocks, I always go back to them to see if they can match the price because they have been good to me in the past.

The club has been good to Dugan. Surely, going to market and getting an actual market value is not that much of a hassle and come back to the club and see if they can match it? That way he looks after himself and the club does not pay overs. After all, isn't that why he pays his manager?
This scenario is different.
Has not Dugan been good for the club?
Who got the better of the deal?
This is a master / servant relationship and the servant has the right to tender his services and if he gets a better offer the old master as most do will say: "well can we match that".
Of course the servant then gets a nasty taste in his mouth as he thinks : "You only raised the $$$ because someone else has made a better offer and the existing master only wants to match it".
Who therefore is the person who knows my true worth?
I find it amazing that we could contemplate Hunt coming and having a complete rookie at FB because the Tedsco issue that so many are hanging there hats on is nothing more than a rumour and wishful thinking at this time.

BringTheNoise

Juniors

I'd assume that's what his manager is doing.

Dugan has also been very good to the club, one of our few shining lights in a miserable few seasons.

To his credit he has publicly stated a preference to remain with the club, he just asks that he be paid a salary that reflects his on field contributions and status as the best fullback in the club.

The clubs public attempt to lowball him in the same manner they did to Merrin highlight just how pathetic things are run in the front office.

BrissyRedV

Bench
This scenario is different.
Has not Dugan been good for the club?
Who got the better of the deal?
This is a master / servant relationship and the servant has the right to tender his services and if he gets a better offer the old master as most do will say: "well can we match that".
Of course the servant then gets a nasty taste in his mouth as he thinks : "You only raised the $$$ because someone else has made a better offer and the existing master only wants to match it".
Who therefore is the person who knows my true worth?
I find it amazing that we could contemplate Hunt coming and having a complete rookie at FB because the Tedsco issue that so many are hanging there hats on is nothing more than a rumour and wishful thinking at this time.
Dugan has been good but so was the club when they initially picked him up. It may leave a bitter taste in the mouth of the employee if it is handled incorrectly and worded wrongly of course. But if the employee is demanding well beyond what you can afford or believe his value to be do you fold and give in or do you look elsewhere?

BrissyRedV

Bench

Dugan has also been very good to the club, one of our few shining lights in a miserable few seasons.

To his credit he has publicly stated a preference to remain with the club, he just asks that he be paid a salary that reflects his on field contributions and status as the best fullback in the club.

The clubs public attempt to lowball him in the same manner they did to Merrin highlight just how pathetic things are run in the front office.
Naturally I agree with the poor running of the club and the way his negotiations have been initially handled by Millward and the public manner of it. I do believe though, there needs to be value for both parties and should be reflective of what the market would pay for services. He has been well remunerated for past services and yes, negotiations should reflect this in some part, but they should also be reflective of the direction of the club as well. The consequences of over capitalising on a single player with limited creative ability can be catastrophic and felt for years to come.

giboz71

First Grade
I agree that Duges is currently the best FB in the club, and his current contract reflects that (and then some).

But is the expectation that he will be our long term FB in the years to come (and will it lead to a comp??). That is the key question and I think the club is right to hedge its bets for now. We have offered deals to both Dufty and Field, seriously doubt we would do this if they are not at least being considered for the job. Millward hinted there may be another rep quality FB on our radar (Tedesco??). If we have to outlay that sort of coin, all options need to be on the table.

As I said, happy to sit tight for now. Field and Dufty need to be given game time to see if they are viable options. And Duges has time to stake his claim too. The team is exceeding expectations at this early stage and he's been a big part of it. If he makes us a top 4 side from FB, the contract will take of itself.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Naturally I agree with the poor running of the club and the way his negotiations have been initially handled by Millward and the public manner of it. I do believe though, there needs to be value for both parties and should be reflective of what the market would pay for services. He has been well remunerated for past services and yes, negotiations should reflect this in some part, but they should also be reflective of the direction of the club as well. The consequences of over capitalising on a single player with limited creative ability can be catastrophic and felt for years to come.

I think the club also has to be mindful of retaining experienced players. If the plan is to push Dugan out to clear a pathway for the likes of Field then they need to be mindful of the fact Nightingale is likely to retire soon, which could lead us with a real shortage of experienced players. A premiership side is likely to be a good balance of both experienced and youthful players.

IMO a spine of Dugan, Widdop, Hunt and McInnis is well balanced in terms of experience and provides good leadership going forward.

Hopefully Millward gives due consideration to this with his pathways plan on the whiteboard.

possm

Coach
This is just an example of what is to come in future years. Millward has his plans and has a list of juniors he wants to develop for first grade. He has identified Field for fullback initially with a move to five-eighth once Masters is ready for first grade. No mention of Dugan at fullback in those plans.

From what Mary said in this week, he wants Dugan at fullback and only sees him at fullback, which is at odds with Millward.

We need a top line coach who can have the last say when it comes to recruitment and pathways. Millward should report to the head coach and the list of names on his white board should be approved by the Head Coach. Of course the CEO and Board should have final approval as there are implications for the salary cap.

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
IMO a spine of Dugan, Widdop, Hunt and McInnis is well balanced in terms of experience and provides good leadership going forward.
Indeed it would. It would open a premiership window under the right tutelage IMO. The forgotten parties in all this talk Is guys that have been laying the platform for the backs. Packer should be a priority as well.

SGMax

Juniors
I agree with the club's stand on Dugan as a future centre and offering 750K or so....provided we are getting an established and top line FB.
I am also concerned that by using the positional change as justification, what will happen if next year our first choice fullback is unavailable due to injury or suspension etc?

Will they have the right to ask him to go back to FB for a few games??
Can he refuse to play FB??

All this is only worth it if Tedesco is coming on board. Why else go through all of this?
If its about Field or Widdop, they would be making a few changes now.
Marsters is looking good but a few years away yet.... a couple of years in the lower grades and then a couple of years easing into FG on the wing or cover at FB.

Qdf

Juniors

This is correct,
If Dugan is to play fullback next year pay him fullback money.
If management has another fullback coming in, the current deal stands.
By offering him a new deal, paying him to play Centre only,means they have a new fullback coming in.

giboz71

First Grade
This is correct,
If Dugan is to play fullback next year pay him fullback money.
If management has another fullback coming in, the current deal stands.
By offering him a new deal, paying him to play Centre only,means they have a new fullback coming in.

Correct.

The question is, who will this new FB be? Publicly declaring Duges is a centre, surely the club has some idea? Dufty and Field are clearly options and perhaps an external option will present itself at some stage.

Gareth67

First Grade
According to he who knows all ( The Lurker ) :rolleyes: - the Dragons are speaking to a current Test player , whom is also a back .
Yes I know that we can take that with a grain of salt , however if his information is indeed correct , that would explain why the men that hold the purse strings wish to pay Duges as a center .
Perhaps by so doing they will,then have enough funds to accommodate whomever this mystery player is ?

emu62

Juniors
If i had the choice between Dugan or Ingliss, I would pick the guy that gives 100% every week not the one that puts in when he feels like it

Life's Good

Coach
Paul kent is a dead set wanker so I wouldn't pay attention to him
Not far off. His whole 'I am hearing whispers....' carry on would have you think he has the confidence of those in the know. He is a sports writer for a poor excuse of a media company trying set himself as the moral compass for all.
Duges is an FB, re-sign him as that or let him go.